Hakodate - Japan

geoffN

Will be in Hakodate for 1 day in August as part of Diamond Princess cruise. Rather than go on an organised tour while there we were thinking just walking around the city for the day. Anyone on a cruise done this is it worth doing?:):):)

My wife and I were there about 3 years ago--off a Silverseas cruise. The fish market in Hakodate was the highlight of our visit--it is large and very very interesting. You can walk from there along the waterfront area until you get to a very nice Starbucks--there is good shopping nearby.

My wife and I were there about 3 years ago--off a Silverseas cruise. The fish market in Hakodate was the highlight of our visit--it is large and very very interesting. You can walk from there along the waterfront area until you get to a very nice Starbucks--there is good shopping nearby.

cool!! thanks heaps

Also on the same cruise ship stops at Kushiro and Otaru for a day each - have you had any experience at thes ports? thanks Geoff

Why not use the services of the Hakodate Goodwill Guide Association? It's almost free and you can go where you want with consultation with your volunteer guide. We did this last May and had a wonderful guide!

https://hakodategoodwill.wixsite.com/hakodatesgg

Great!! thanks for your help

Also on the same cruise ship stops at Kushiro and Otaru for a day each - have you had any experience at thes ports? thanks Geoff

thanks heaps

Also on the same cruise ship stops at Kushiro and Otaru for a day each - have you had any experience at these ports? thanks Geoff

WOW!! thank you so much - this is great and we now know what we will do.

• 4 weeks later...

Kushiro is a great port. They cater to cruisers. Look for a place near the dock called the egg. Inside is a market and also music and entertainment. When we were there, we were able to dress in kimono and take photos. Also origami of their Kushiro crane. As you walk through the town, look for cranes of manholes, light posts, etc. - very artistic! And listen to the traffic signals, it is either music or birds chirping - just beautiful. Enjoy!

:)

Kushiro is a great port. They cater to cruisers. Look for a place near the dock called the egg. Inside is a market and also music and entertainment. When we were there, we were able to dress in kimono and take photos. Also origami of their Kushiro crane. As you walk through the town, look for cranes of manholes, light posts, etc. - very artistic! And listen to the traffic signals, it is either music or birds chirping - just beautiful. Enjoy!

thanks :)clear.png?emoji-smile-1742clear.png?emoji-smile-1742