Which Pier?

I am on the CARNIVAL FREEDOM in March. I was wondering which pier we will be at when we dock? I ask because I have read on here that there is more to do at the Colon 200 pier then at the Cristobal pier. Also read that the Colon 2000 pier is a little safer then the Cristobal pier. We are both a little nervous about Panama. My wife an I have read that a bus of tourist got robbed. Now I understand that, an incident like that can happen anywhere at anytime. Just wondering about the pier and which one we will be at? Thank you

I am on the CARNIVAL FREEDOM in March. I was wondering which pier we will be at when we dock? I ask because I have read on here that there is more to do at the Colon 200 pier then at the Cristobal pier. Also read that the Colon 2000 pier is a little safer then the Cristobal pier. We are both a little nervous about Panama. My wife an I have read that a bus of tourist got robbed. Now I understand that, an incident like that can happen anywhere at anytime. Just wondering about the pier and which one we will be at? Thank you

I cannot answer your Freedom-specific question, however the odds are that unless you are doing a "partial transit" you will be docking at Colon 2000.

I have been to both ports and believe that they are both about the same. Colon 2000 is very near downtown, and Cristobal is in the main channel leading into the Canal. Both are industrial ports with limited activies (just some shopping) in the immediate area. The reason cruise ships dock at either one is mainly to allow folks to go on tours, which I would highly recommend that you do if you want to see any of Panama or the Canal.

Oh we are doing something. Portabello and Gatun Locks tour. We thought that doing a 8 hour Panama Canal tour would be really technical. So we came up with that tour. As far as a partial transit, I don't think we are doing any transit. I think we just dock do our excursion and then back to the ship.

If I am not mistaken, the C. Freedom is too big for the Canal, so you will just be stopping at Colon. Using the past as a guide, the Freedom has always docked at the Colon 2000 facility. The pier in Cristobal is only about 2 miles away from the Colon 2000 pier but it is a "world" away;), no where you would want to go without benefit of a taxi. I don't believe there would be any point in going over there to the shops that are located on the pier, as I am led to understand the shops are only open when a cruise ship is at the Cristobal pier. Unless you were a passenger on the ship docked at the pier, you may not be admitted to the area.

Don't be overly alarmed about Panama, as you pointed out it could have happened anywhere, the bus robbery appears to be an isolated incident. Below is a link to the story I posted on this forum back in December. Just use normal precautions as you would anywhere else and do take the ship's advice and don't strike out on foot in Colon. Colon is not the best front door for a country! You will be fine on a tour or even a taxi.

http://www.panama-guide.com/article.php/20081212185014926

Archived