Bar Harbor - Ollie's vs Acadia National Tours vs Renting a Car

BigMike2018

Wife and I love to do our own thing when arriving to the various ports. However, I'm still debating what to do in Bar Harbor. Acadia is the place we would like to see most, and as a hobbyist photographer, I'd like to explore it a little more in depth and take time to get my shots. I understand that renting a car in Bar Harbor can be a pain in the backside, but we've never been a fan of the "getting herded like cattle" vibe of most tours we've been on (I get twitchy remembering one of those bus tours we took in St. Maarten once...)

For this trip, we have rental cars lined up at every port to go off and do our own thing, but haven't pulled the trigger yet because of what seems to be the amount of time wasted getting to and from the airport to pick it up and return it. We've been considering Ollies and Acadia National Tour.

Has anyone experienced these tours? Thoughts on which one is better? How crowded does Bar Harbor usually get (we're going the week of Sept. 16)? Should we go ahead and get the car instead? Any ideas/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

If I were a hobbyist photographer, I would opt for the 4 hour tour offered by Ollie's. You get 4 stops and the stops are longer than the shorter tours of either provider; but can you live with only 4 30 minute stops?

As for the crowds, as peak foliage season approaches, both the crowds in Bar Harbor and ANP will increase until peak viewing is reached. When will you actually be in Bar Harbor?

If you will be visiting BH before 10/8, you could consider using the free bus service (Island Explorer) for ANP. It has designated stops but is also HOHO. You would be limited to areas which has bus routes but you can do your own thing, length of stay & exploring. If using the IE is an option that interests you, post back and I have suggestions on what routes to use.

SBtS

Edited by SailBadtheSinner
speling'

As for the crowds, as peak foliage season approaches, both the crowds in Bar Harbor and ANP will increase until peak viewing is reached. When will you actually be in Bar Harbor?

We'll be there mid-September...the 19th if I recall.

If using the IE is an option that interests you, post back and I have suggestions on what routes to use.

What routes would you suggest? We have been to Bar Harbor once before and saw 'everything' via a private tour but would like to try using the IE with my son who has not been there yet so maybe just a few scenic highlights vs an all day tour.

If we didn't do IE, initial thought was to walk along the shore path, then take Ollie's Trolly (12:45pm) on the one hour Cadillac Mt. tour, then lunch in town after.

What routes would you suggest? We have been to Bar Harbor once before and saw 'everything' via a private tour but would like to try using the IE with my son who has not been there yet so maybe just a few scenic highlights vs an all day tour.

If we didn't do IE, initial thought was to walk along the shore path, then take Ollie's Trolly (12:45pm) on the one hour Cadillac Mt. tour, then lunch in town after.

Take a Route #3 bus from the Bar Harbor Village Green or a Route #4 bus from the Visitors' Center, to Sand Beach. Get off there and hike the Ocean Path from Sand Beach to Otter Cliffs, total distance about 4 miles. You'll have the rocky coast and ocean on your left and ANP on your right. OP parallels the Park Loop Rd. You can exit the OP at any point by exiting the trail and getting to the PLR. There you flag down a Route #3 bus which will take you back to the BHVG or a Route #4 bus which will continue on the PLR.

If you are on the Route #4 bus, you could ride until Jordan Pond House and get off there. You could hike the Jordan Pond Shore Trail which circles Jordan Pond. A distance of about 3.3 miles.

If you are on the Route #4 bus, you could ride just past Jordan Pond House to Bubble Pond, a gorgeous little pond, nestled between rounded mountains and get off there.

You could consider hiking one of the Carriage Roads that crisscross ANP.

SBtS

Take a Route #3 bus from the Bar Harbor Village Green or a Route #4 bus from the Visitors' Center, to Sand Beach. Get off there and hike the Ocean Path from Sand Beach to Otter Cliffs, total distance about 4 miles. You'll have the rocky coast and ocean on your left and ANP on your right. OP parallels the Park Loop Rd. You can exit the OP at any point by exiting the trail and getting to the PLR. There you flag down a Route #3 bus which will take you back to the BHVG or a Route #4 bus which will continue on the PLR.

If you are on the Route #4 bus, you could ride until Jordan Pond House and get off there. You could hike the Jordan Pond Shore Trail which circles Jordan Pond. A distance of about 3.3 miles.

If you are on the Route #4 bus, you could ride just past Jordan Pond House to Bubble Pond, a gorgeous little pond, nestled between rounded mountains and get off there.

You could consider hiking one of the Carriage Roads that crisscross ANP.

SBtS

Thanks for the tips.