Eruption news?

Leanduh

The air quality is red now. I can imagine a staging in the lobby with some lawyer demanding compensation.

I feel bad for anyone who misses it though. For me, seeing the lava at nIght brought tears to my eyes.

The air quality is good everywhere on the island except for Kona where it's moderate I suggest you do your research

The air quality is good everywhere on the island except for Kona where it's moderate I suggest you do your research

They are asking for gas masks to be sent. (Epic lava tours)

I have asthma. It isn’t mildly irritating for me.

And of course I meant in the area of the volcano and never stated otherwise.

How on Earth did you get from high winds and high waves at the tender dock to canceling because of a volcano. Holy crap

Don't be silly.... I merely cited the dangers that cruise ship passengers can face in various situations.

They're asking for the gas masks only as a precaution

Picked up the next day? Did you sleep on the bus?

We were in Kona for two weeks prior to this latest eruption. Visited the park and it was obvious a big one was coming, the caldera at Jagger overlook was overflowing with lava, something was bound to give down below.

I feel bad for the small businesses that offer activity tours but not the trinket shops selling cheap made in china souvenirs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Actually there was not much sleeping that night. We were all so tired and unprepared to spend hours riding buses and sitting on a hotel floor.

Red' air quality alert issued for areas of Big Island

Fissures in the southeast area of Lanipuna Gardens are producing high levels of sulfur dioxide gas, according to Hawaii fire officials.

The air quality in the area is "condition red," which means hazardous gas levels can pose an immediate danger to health.

Hawaii Fire Department officials are urging anyone in the area to leave immediately.

Risks of exposure to high levels of sulfur dioxide include choking and other serious respiratory problems.”

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38186992/latest-weather-service-warns-about-ash-falling-in-parts-of-big-island

I have asthma and COPD and there is no way I would go to the big island now. The people there are having a hard time getting the masks that actually do some protection. If/when the big explosion comes there may be bad air all over the island.

I have asthma and COPD and there is no way I would go to the big island now. The people there are having a hard time getting the masks that actually do some protection. If/when the big explosion comes there may be bad air all over the island.

My friend is leaving Saturday for a pre planned trip and I actually am jealous, aside from the fact that even with my VOG mask, I would likely end up in the hospital.

There are 2 types of masks being recommended. For ash the recommended mask is the N95 (For those of us in healthcare that is the one we are ‘fit tested’ for each year and is used in healthcare with patients on respiratory precautions for certain diseases.) This mask is good for filtering particulate matter such as volcanic ash but not gases.

The second type of mask filters gases. They are designed for short term use-working or going into an area with ash or gases for a short period and leaving.

May 16...activity at both Kīlauea summit...4.0 earthquakes....some ash, smoke...vog graphic here...http://weather.hawaii.edu/vmap/hysplit/animate.cgi?domain=haw&variable=so4

And activity in Puna area still ongoing...lava creeping...no worry, they won’t let you get close to either one...rest of state o.k. of course, separate islands, right?

Facebook page with up to date info..Hawaii Tracker...

jione, I have been following the Hawaii Tracker page on FB as well as the USGS Volcanoes FB page and the NPS HVNP FB page too. All have great info. And I subscribed to the HVO volcano alerts on teh USGS website.;)

The USGS FB page has links to their YouTube videos with great info.

I think that I am geeking out with all of this information!;)

Will be on Pride of America cruise May 19. Would like any news from folks who took the May 5 week. :o

I was on the May 5 cruise. We arrived at the dock in Hilo, and almost immediately headed back out. Were told it was because the ocean swells were too high, too unsafe. The water was somewhat choppy. We had a sea day instead. We did dock in Kona. There was little to no news or talk of the volcano/earthquake from NCL. I mostly heard about it from friends & family on social media!

Here is the latest staus report from the USGS HVO posted at Thursday, May 17 6:33 AM HST:

HVO/USGS Volcanic Activity Notice

Volcano:
Kilauea
(VNUM #332010)

Current Volcano Alert Level: WARNING

Current Aviation Color Code: RED

Issued:
Thursday, May 17, 2018, 6:33 AM HST

Source:
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory

Notice Number:

Elevation:
4091 ft (1247 m)

Area:
Hawaii

Volcanic Activity Summary:
At about 0415 this morning, an explosion from the Overlook vent within Halemaumau crater at Kilauea Volcano's summit produced a volcanic cloud that reaches as high as 30,000 ft asl and drifted northeast. Continued emissions from the crater are reaching as high as 12,000 ft asl.

At any time, activity may again become more explosive, increasing the intensity of ash production and producing ballistic projectiles near the vent.

Resource on volcanic ash hazards:

Resource on vog:

Current NWS information on ashfall:

Recent Observations:

[Volcanic cloud height] up to 30,000 ft asl

[Other volcanic cloud information] Drifting generally northeast

Hazard Analysis:

[Ash cloud] The ashcloud is drifting downwind to the northeast.

[Ashfall] Ashfall has been reported in Volcanoes National Park, and may occur further downwind.

[Other hazards] Ballistic projectiles may be produced should steam-driven explosions occur. Impacts will be limited to an area around Halemaumau.

[Volcanic gas] Vog or volcanic air pollution produced by volcanic gas has been reported in Pahala.

Remarks:
Photos of this activity may be found here:

Contacts:

Next Notice:
Additional notices will be issued should activity change significantly.

Consult the National Weather Service for specific Ashfall notifications:http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/

The Hawaiian Volcano Observatory is one of five volcano observatories within the U.S. Geological Survey and is responsible for monitoring volcanoes and earthquakes in Hawai`i.

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park hosted a live update video on their Facebook page at 1:00 PM today, Saturday, May 19. The recording is avaiable now on that FB page. One glitch is the poor quality of the audio. Using earbuds/headphones makes it audible.

Excellent information and a question and answer session.