For those of you who took the city bus in CG

jerseygirl79

I've read many threads where people took the city bus to the beach in Grand Cayman. Is there a bus stop at the pier? How much is the ride to Royal Palms? Where else does the bus go? What's the environment like on the bus? I haven't been on a public bus since I was in college in Boston.

Thanks!

I took the bus a few years ago and will take it again in December.

You have to walk two blocks to get the bus. $2.50 each person to the beach area. Cemetary Beach is where I go to snorkle. They are white vans that hold maybe 20 people. It was safe,clean and a great way to the beach. If it matters I am 53 year old female. I take public transit or taxis at all port to get to the beach.

Good luck

We are considering taking the bus when we are in GC in October. This is our plan....Take bus to Hell, catch bus at Hell back to Cemetary Beach for some snorkeling...Walk from Cemetary Beach to the Wreck of Gamma for more snorkeling...then catch the bus again to return to the Port. Is that possible? Appreciate any advice we can get.

hmm... I can't recall if the bus goes right to hell (and back... lol) No, seriously, you'll have to check a detailed route map.

One thing about the buses, they run frequently on the route from town along SMB. That route has a lot of tourists and didn't seem to get quite so packed. The drivers will usually announce all the popular tourist stops, but best to tell him where you are going. They also seem to use the larger vans for that route. If you want to take a bus beyond the SMB strip they can run a little less frequently, and often get packed with locals. Not that this is a problem. It was an experience taking the bus all over the island. They cram everyone in popping down the jump seats or sitting whereever they can. Sometimes ladies would get on with bags of groceries and distribute them around. You couldn't be too surprised to be handed a package of toilet paper to hold on your lap. lol. People chat from the back of the bus with the driver, or sing. Everyone knows everyone, but as the outsider I'd smile and say good morning and that goes a long way. On those rotues the driver expects people know where they are getting off and won't announce everything like along the tourist trail. It was certainly an interesting way to see the real GC.

Thanks for sharing an "inside" view of a bus ride. I learned earlier that it was too far to walk from Cemetery beach to the Wreck of Gamma, so we will board the bus again to go between them. I hope we can take a bus to Hell. We really want to say we been there done that and send some post cards, but don't want to have to sign up for an island tour or visit the turtle farm.

We are considering taking the bus when we are in GC in October. This is our plan....Take bus to Hell, catch bus at Hell back to Cemetary Beach for some snorkeling...Walk from Cemetary Beach to the Wreck of Gamma for more snorkeling...then catch the bus again to return to the Port. Is that possible? Appreciate any advice we can get.

Please post on your return because the day you have planned is exactly what I planned too except for the Gamma.

Please post on your return because the day you have planned is exactly what I planned too except for the Gamma.

Will do! I'll post a review of our day and include lots of information about the bus (route, price, easy of use, where to get on/off, how long it took), snorkeling, and other things I think would be helpful to others.

Archived