Tipping in the supper club (or steakhouse as it is now called

golfadj

We have gone to the supper clubs several times and have always enjoyed it. Would probably go more but generally enjoy having dinner in the MDR and getting to know the people at our table.

However I do have a question that it would be nice to get the answer too.

Part of the $ 30 is for tipping the waitstaff. Exactly how much of the 30 is it? Nobody seems to know.

We always give an extra tip of $ 10 and always wonder if based on the service if it is enough.

If the server gets $ 10 of our 30 probably no reason for an extra tip. $ 20 tip on a meal worth close to a hundred is good.

If they only get 5 than an extra tip is really required.

Just find it strange that this info is not given out by Carnival or on the John Heald blog.

Asking a serious question and would prefer not to get flamed for it.

We have gone to the supper clubs several times and have always enjoyed it. Would probably go more but generally enjoy having dinner in the MDR and getting to know the people at our table.

Part of the $ 30 is for tipping the waitstaff. Exactly how much of the 30 is it? Nobody seems to know.

We always give an extra tip of $ 10 and always wonder if based on the service if it is enough.

If the server gets $ 10 of our 30 probably no reason for an extra tip. $ 20 tip on a meal worth close to a hundred is good.

Just find it strange that this info is not given out by Carnival or on the John Heald blog.

Since it states that gratuity is included in the price.....nothing is required.........

Anything extra is much appreciated but not required.......

Lol...after a while you get a little gun shy... :)

Good question, I just Tip however and whoever I choose and don't subject myself to the attitiudes/commentary of "Tipping Bullies". If you think they deserve $100 then give it to them, if you feel satisfied with the way it is then leave it (they say it is included), I don't think anyone really knows exactly how this Tipping thing really works.

The first time we went to the supper club we left a tip. On the

Splendor we went with a group from the roll call and they all said the $30 was the tip, and no one left an additional tip. I was not impressed with the service we got on the Splendor. I had to flag someone down to get my water glass refilled, more than once. I also thought we waited way to long for the next course, it is one thing not to be rushed but to sit for 20 minutes without any food is way too long.

I am not a big fan of the supper club. We went on the Splendor because we wanted to dine with the group. We might go with a group, but not just the two of us.

The first time we went to the supper club we left a tip. On the

Splendor we went with a group from the roll call and they all said the $30 was the tip, and no one left an additional tip. I was not impressed with the service we got on the Splendor. I had to flag someone down to get my water glass refilled, more than once. I also thought we waited way to long for the next course, it is one thing not to be rushed but to sit for 20 minutes without any food is way too long.

I am not a big fan of the supper club. We went on the Splendor because we wanted to dine with the group. We might go with a group, but not just the two of us.

A number of people at Carnival have told us that the servers only get a portion of the $ 30 however nobody will say how much and that is the reason for my post. Why is this a secret?

A number of people at Carnival have told us that the servers only get a portion of the $ 30 however nobody will say how much and that is the reason for my post. Why is this a secret?

Why does it matter to people sooooo much? Who cares what they make.

I've been kind of curious about that, too. Some people say that all $30 is gratuity and in some places (but nowhere official) I read that the gratuity is a small portion of the $30.

I don't think anyone is really that worked up about it. It doesn't really matter *that* much, I'm just curious.

Stop worrying about it. The tip is included.

Your tip in the MDR each night is $1.83 per person. FOR YOUR ENTIRE MEAL.

The upcharge for better food in the SC is $30, and also includes a tip. How much? Who knows.

How much better is the service in the SC over the MDR? Twice? So, should the tip be doubled? $3.66 per person? So could the upgrade of food be $26?

WHO CARES?

Feel free to tip extra if you like, as there's a place on the bill for EXTRA GRATUITY.

We have always left it blank.

I've been kind of curious about that, too. Some people say that all $30 is gratuity and in some places (but nowhere official) I read that the gratuity is a small portion of the $30.

I don't think anyone is really that worked up about it. It doesn't really matter *that* much, I'm just curious.

I do believe that most people who feel the $30 is the tip listened to someone who posts on this board as well as Royal Caribbean and posts INCORRECTLY everytime. She is cheap and believes that no extra tips should be given to anyone and is always criticizing people who tip extra.

The Carnival website says the tip is included. It doesn't say how much the tip is and I don't know nor do I care how much the server gets. I do know, but not certain if it is still the same, on another line, the waiter got $1 for every dinner served and the assistant got 50 cents. That includes all dinners in the entire restaurant, even though the waiter might only serve 10 dinners.

I do think that something like that is how Carnival does it. I say that because even though there are empty seats that perhaps diners would want, the number of people served is a limited amount nightly. I don't think there are that many servers. I am guessing as I was on Glory in March and I think there were maybe 10 people serving. As I said, I have no facts to show that's how Carnival equates tips in the Steak House, but it is my opinion.

Anyway, if you choose to tip extra, as we do, do it. Hopefully, some day that poster will start posting the correct info--but then again, she won't even go to the specialty restaurant because "she won't ever miss any dinner with her great tablemates." and only in the dining room.

Maybe we can all stop jumping on the OP.

The point isn't that he is sooooo curious about what the waitstaff make, really he wants to ensure that the waitstaff are well compensated for their special service.

Sorry OP - I'm not sure of the answer. Almost everyone we have talked to tip extra. One couple said they tipped an extra $50 they were so impressed with their waitress! The others have said $10 for a couple has been appreciated.

Enjoy your cruise and the supper club/steakhouse!!

I consider myself a "good" tipper. I consider my husband an "excellent" tipper. He leaves a generous tip if the service is excellent. To him, excellent service means his water glass is never empty. His iced tea glass is never empty. The wait staff asks at least twice if everything is satisfactory and makes it right if something is not satisfactory. The wait staff seems interested in our satisfaction but is not falling over top of us....All these things are subjective, of course.

Based on the surcharge of $30, we left a 100% tip (not that you could really calculate it that way) when we ate at Nick and Nora's on our last cruise. How much of the $30 surcharge did the wait staff receive? We have no idea, but we do know that they received all of our "extra" tip. It's a personal choice. 'Nuff said.

I know what the OP is trying to say.

If he wants to thank the servers with cash (ie tip) say $20, how can he know if he needs to add to the service charge, or let it alone because they are getting $20 out of the fee he has already paid.

To make an informed decision towards the servers, you have to know what they are receiving from the $30 pp.

The fact this is kept so hush hush when all other tip amounts are so open is puzzleing to say the least.

I think the reality is the servers work hard and don't make that much. For excellent service (which we have received at David's), I think it is appropriate to tip more.

We also question if the 100% of the automatic tips are given to the employees when it goes through Carnival, and choose instead to give the cash directly to the employees at the end of the cruise. At least then we know they get it and can use it right away. Then we may add a thank you note or extra money beyond the reommended for the best employees - we usually have an exemplary waiter, cabin steward, or both.

We also question if the 100% of the automatic tips are given to the employees when it goes through Carnival, and choose instead to give the cash directly to the employees at the end of the cruise. At least then we know they get it and can use it right away.

It's already been revealed that 100% of the autotips goes to the servers.

Archived