Florida with 3yo, car/booster seat

Jasonmom

I know that the taxi in Florida will not take you from the airport to the terminal without appropriate car/booster seat. My question is does that have to be a car seat (which is what my son rides in now, but is heavy) or can it be a booster seat (which I would be buying eventually and should weigh less)?

My son is 3yo, 42 inches tall, 38lb

316.613 Child restraint requirements.--

(1)(a) Every operator of a motor vehicle as defined herein, while transporting a child in a motor vehicle operated on the roadways, streets, or highways of this state, shall, if the child is 5 years of age or younger, provide for protection of the child by properly using a crash-tested, federally approved child restraint device. For children aged through 3 years, such restraint device must be a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child seat. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a separate carrier, an integrated child seat, or a seat belt may be used.

For a child that is not properly restrained the violation is $60.

I know that the taxi in Florida will not take you from the airport to the terminal without appropriate car/booster seat. My question is does that have to be a car seat (which is what my son rides in now' date=' but is heavy) or can it be a booster seat (which I would be buying eventually and should weigh less)?

My son is 3yo, 42 inches tall, 38lb[/quote']

Oh gosh we just returned from Fort Lauderdale in November and the taxi's had no problem with our 4 yr old or 6 yr old being not in a booster seat. That being said I dont believe that we felt completely comfortable with them not being properly protected. We did rent a van and it came with a car seat and we drove around Florida with our sons properly seated.

316.613 Child restraint requirements.--

(1)(a) Every operator of a motor vehicle as defined herein, while transporting a child in a motor vehicle operated on the roadways, streets, or highways of this state, shall, if the child is 5 years of age or younger, provide for protection of the child by properly using a crash-tested, federally approved child restraint device. For children aged through 3 years, such restraint device must be a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child seat. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a separate carrier, an integrated child seat, or a seat belt may be used.

For a child that is not properly restrained the violation is $60.

I've read this. I just don't know if a backless booster seat is a child restraint device or does it have to be a car-seat or booster with a back?

For a 3 yr old I would definitely bring a booster. Our DD is 6.5, 47" and about 50 lbs. We still bring along the booster for her when we travel. We just went to FLA to visit family over the holidays. We just gate checked the booster seat at the airport (like you would a stroller). We felt much better knowing she was properly fitting in the seat belts as we drove around. If all you are taking is a taxi to the pier, you may want to consider a shuttle service--I think they can supply them for you if you ask.

I don't think FL is as strict as my state is... I presume FL wants you to follow the requirements on your booster seat. Aren't most for children only over 40lbs? I don't know; I don't own one. Taxi drivers won't know or care, esp if the child is in some sort of restraint. It's the parents responsibility to properly protect the child.

My state requires children in carseats until 4 years old and then booster seats until 8 years old or 80 pounds or 57 inches tall. So we'll be bringing our carseat on trips until he's 4.

Have a great cruise.

A three year old isn't actually safe in a booster seat. The limits printed on the box are the absolute minimum and they are in question.

Here is a good link. This is an organization started the parents of a three year old who was killed in an accident while riding in a booster. They believe he would have survived if he had been better restrained.

http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/car-seat-safety-5-point-harness-is-safest.html

A better and much safer option would the the Ride Safer Travel Vest. The minimum weight is 35lbs. You could easily bring it for excursions during your cruise too, as long as the taxi either has a shoulder belt or tether hook.

http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/

• 4 weeks later...

After much thought I have decided to bring the carseat. I just couldn't live with myself if something happened to my son when I wasn't taking the safest transportation.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Anyone know of a lightweight bag for cheep that I could put the carseat in to carry?;)

A three year old isn't actually safe in a booster seat. The limits printed on the box are the absolute minimum and they are in question.

Here is a good link. This is an organization started the parents of a three year old who was killed in an accident while riding in a booster. They believe he would have survived if he had been better restrained.

http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/car-seat-safety-5-point-harness-is-safest.html

A better and much safer option would the the Ride Safer Travel Vest. The minimum weight is 35lbs. You could easily bring it for excursions during your cruise too, as long as the taxi either has a shoulder belt or tether hook.

I know some of you all are sick of hearing me say this, but I really think the Ride Safer Vest is great too. We use it as our spare/travel carseat. DD is almost 7, but she only weighs 43 lbs (DH and I are both on the short side) so it is a good solution. I feel better about it than a backless booster because of the side impact protection piece. Super easy to use and folds flat right into the top of a suitcase so you can pack it on top and just whip it out to use in taxis or whatever.

After much thought I have decided to bring the carseat. I just couldn't live with myself if something happened to my son when I wasn't taking the safest transportation.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Anyone know of a lightweight bag for cheep that I could put the carseat in to carry?;)

I use a big duffel bag and it fits 2 car seats in it. It wasn't very expensive but I bought it for my first child so it is old.

OP - I know you've said you've decided to bring the car seat, but I wanted to post for others reading this... BTW, have a wonderful cruise!!!

I just wanted to say that many car seat safety technicians are adamantly opposed to these types of restraints. Testing of these products often leaves a lot to be desired, if adequate, controlled testing has been done at all. In addition, these restaints offer no impact protection barrier (such as energy absorbing materials). I am not a car seat tech, nor am I overly familiar with this specific device; however, until more information was available through reliable sources, I would avoid these types of systems.

I know that the taxi in Florida will not take you from the airport to the terminal without appropriate car/booster seat. My question is does that have to be a car seat (which is what my son rides in now' date=' but is heavy) or can it be a booster seat (which I would be buying eventually and should weigh less)?

My son is 3yo, 42 inches tall, 38lb[/quote']

Just wanted to mention that booster seats are available in two forms: with a back and without a back. The backless boosters require a minimum of 40 pounds, while the boosters with back require a minimum of 30 pounds. As another poster stated, these are MINIMUM weights. The SAFEST option is to use a convertible car seat until the child out grows his/her seat (check your car seat for its limitations).

Okay, I'm off my soap box. ;)

I just wanted to say that many car seat safety technicians are adamantly opposed to these types of restraints. Testing of these products often leaves a lot to be desired, if adequate, controlled testing has been done at all. In addition, these restaints offer no impact protection barrier (such as energy absorbing materials). I am not a car seat tech, nor am I overly familiar with this specific device; however, until more information was available through reliable sources, I would avoid these types of systems.

I'm sure you didn't mean this to be as insulting as it is, but I would NEVER put my child into a device that was not approved for use in a car. This is an FMVSS approved safety device that meets or exceeds the FMVSS laws. They publish all their safety data and crash test videos on their website. It is also recommended in certain circumstances by the Carseat Techs at car-safety.org (non-profit site dedicated to child safety in cars).

So before you go bashing a device and (I am assuming unintentionally) bashing people who use such a device, look into it first. Your disclaimer does not make your post any less insulting. Do a quick Google before dissing.

And BTW, this is a travel seat for us. My almost 7 year old rides in Britax Marathons at home and in a full booster with a back at her Grandmother's house. This is only for traveling.

I'm sure you didn't mean this to be as insulting as it is, but I would NEVER put my child into a device that was not approved for use in a car. This is an FMVSS approved safety device that meets or exceeds the FMVSS laws. They publish all their safety data and crash test videos on their website. It is also recommended in certain circumstances by the Carseat Techs at car-safety.org (non-profit site dedicated to child safety in cars).

So before you go bashing a device and (I am assuming unintentionally) bashing people who use such a device, look into it first. Your disclaimer does not make your post any less insulting. Do a quick Google before dissing.

And BTW, this is a travel seat for us. My almost 7 year old rides in Britax Marathons at home and in a full booster with a back at her Grandmother's house. This is only for traveling.

First, I am so sorry that I offended you. I know that most of us do the best we can for our children and would never intentionally put them in harms way. I've re-read my original post and honestly meant only the best of intentions. Again, if my tone didn't reflect that, I am truly sorry.

Unfortunately, not all companies have the best of intentions for our children so we must look out for ourselves. This is why I posted my original post. I'm all too familiar with the companies that think they're offering a product to make life easier for us, then issuing major recalls because of reported life threatening or deadly injuries.

FWIW, I have done some research on this topic and have found mixed reviews. As I said previously, all the car seat techs that I have spoken with were opposed to the vest products (this is MY experience, others, including you, have had different experiences), calling them inferior to traditional car seats (ex. no side impact protection, many do not have energy absorbing materials, etc.) and some are downright unsafe to use (I'm not referring to this model in particular). I am very familiar with the site you posted and there are mixed reviews there as well. Unfortunately, the vest products do not get the attention that other restraints receive and relying on the company's website is not an option for me (I want to see independent testing results from a reliable source).

Having said that, I was able to find a national certified car seat safety trainer that recommends some of these products when car seats are not an option. I'm not sure anyone is saying that these products are as safe as traditional restraint systems (i.e. car seats and booster seats), but it seems that some of the vests can be used when necessary. Ultimately, it is the parent's responsibility to choose what works best for their families. I hope we can at least agree to that. :)

Archived