Airplane seating for infant

tinaka

My DH and I are taking our DS (12 months) on his first cruise and will be flying to Orlando from Michigan. We have decided not to buy him his own seat, since he is generally happy sitting in our laps for a long period of time (and money was a factor as well).

Never having flown with a little one, my question is, what is the best seat choice for us? We usually like having a window seat, but I'm thinking that it may be better to have an aisle seat.

Also, I generally like to be towards the front of the plane, but I've heard being at the rear is louder and may help with having the engine hum. My concern there is that it means we are the last off the plane.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My DH and I are taking our DS (12 months) on his first cruise and will be flying to Orlando from Michigan. We have decided not to buy him his own seat, since he is generally happy sitting in our laps for a long period of time (and money was a factor as well).

Never having flown with a little one, my question is, what is the best seat choice for us? We usually like having a window seat, but I'm thinking that it may be better to have an aisle seat.

Also, I generally like to be towards the front of the plane, but I've heard being at the rear is louder and may help with having the engine hum. My concern there is that it means we are the last off the plane.

I would have to agree that the back of the plane is the best. Yes, it's loud for you but it does drown out a lot of noise or would be screaming on your toddlers part. :) I also would recommend not getting on the plane until the last possible minute, give your little one all the freedom you can before boarding. Good luck to you!

Since there are two of you purchasing tickets, I would advise booking a window and aisle seat near the back of the plane. The middle seats there will be the last to be filled. You could get lucky and have a "free" seat for your child. Bring the car seat to the gate, and speak with the GA when you get there to see if the middle seat is still open. You can gate check it if you have to.

also, depending on the airline...I go to the counter at the gate after i've checked in and ask if the flight is full. If not, they have always been very kind and switched my seat next to an empty seat so my daughter has her own seat for free. Only once out of 6 flights was it completely full.

Since we are a family of 4, we take the 3 seats and have always sat with the baby in the aisle seat. We noticed no difference from sitting in the middle or the back. One thing i do recommend for your convenience is

a baby carrier like a Baby Bjorn, it makes the flight much easier.

I prefer the front of the plane - first row by the bulkhead - when traveling with little ones - there is room for them to stand at your feet or sit on a blanket on the floor and play.

Not every airline/FA will allow this, and if the seatbelt sign is on, you will have to pick them up. Also, on some airlines (UA for example), unless you are an elite member, you will not be able to choose these seats in advance, just because you have a child. Some airlines will hold them for people traveling with children.

I never liked traveling in the bulk head and still don't with my almost three year old. I NEED those pockets to have tons of stuff ready to go for her.

The ONLY time I would choose the bulkhead is if it's an international long flight and they have the bassinets and your child is small enough for one.

tpr_japan0a_169.jpg

I agree with the others, if it's the three of you, choose an aisle and middle (if it's a three seat across configuration) and as soon as you check in ask if there are empty seats and if they can accomodate the baby in a car seat in between you.

We have traveled A LOT and only been told no a few times due to completely full flights, international flights, or a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE airline (SUN COUNTRY!!!), who said their policy was not to allow infants to have their own seat even if there were empty seats.

Not every airline/FA will allow this, and if the seatbelt sign is on, you will have to pick them up. Also, on some airlines (UA for example), unless you are an elite member, you will not be able to choose these seats in advance, just because you have a child. Some airlines will hold them for people traveling with children.

Interesting. I never had an issue. But then again, I will not fly UA as I have received horrible customer service from them.

It really is a matter of personal preference - I can't stand the back as I feel trapped and the noise gives me a headache. My kids didn't do well back there either.

When DD4 was younger, we went on lots of flights with here where we didn't buy her a seat but we managed an empty seat that we could use. I agree with taking the carseat to the gate and asking if the flight is full or not.

Now, we usually fly southwest and they don't do assigned seats. What we LOVE about them is we usually board either in group A or when they allow families needing assistance to board (which is between group A and group B) and it gives us just enough time to get on the plane, get everything situated, and relax a minute or two before take off. We have learned to LOVE sitting in the back, although we have learned the hard way that sometimes you want the second to the last row as the last row doesn't always recline. Not only do the engines help cover any noise the baby makes, it can even help put the baby to sleep. Other pluses are that you're close to a restroom (although I've never used one for changing a diaper...I just don't think there's enough room) and usually close to the FAs so it makes it easy to ask for anything you may need (water, having a bottle rinsed out, etc)

Now, the last time I flew we didn't bring a carseat for DS because I was borrowing one from a friend. It was actually an interesting trip because I flew by myself with DD4 and DS8months. We had a four hour layover (on purpose) which resulted in BOTH kids sleeping the ENTIRE flight.

Now, I use a baby kh'tan and had no problems keeping DS in it, the only thing to be aware of is you can't use them during take off and landing. Not sure why since it actually makes it easier on you if you could, maybe it's because some people might get the false security that they don't need to hold on to the baby, but I'd think that it would just give me the added security that he's there and if it gets a bit rough and I loose my grip he'll stay put.

I prefer the front of the plane - first row by the bulkhead - when traveling with little ones - there is room for them to stand at your feet or sit on a blanket on the floor and play.

The other problem with the bulkhead is that you cannot store any carry ons under a seat--all must be up above. I always seem to need the diaper bag/carry on more than the room to move (plus there's always the aisle walk)

Thanks for all the input!

We are flying on Delta/NWA and we not planning on bringing a carseat, since the private shuttle we are taking to the port provides them. Would they still consider giving us a seat, if we don't have a carseat?

I too had heard about having the floor space in the row behind the bulkhead, but that is not an available choice at this point, since those seats are reserved for higher level frequent flyers.

I also currently plan on bringing our Mai Tai carrier, but our DS is already 22 lbs at 8 months and only likes to be facing forward on me right now. With the trip 3 months away, we'll see how that goes :)

I know money is a consideration, but I would seriously consider getting him a seat. I have 4 children and they are used to flying 2 or 3 times per year. My experience has been that once they become mobile (and all of my children were walking by 12 months and crawling before that) it is much better to have them in their car seat. It is something they are used to and they don't question it. It will make your life so much easier. Most of the time the sound of the plane will put them to sleep.

The airlines used to discount for children under 2 if you bought them a seat. I'm not sure that is still the case, but I would ask.

Good Luck!

As someone suggested above, I suggest booking a window and an aisle towards the back of the plane. That middle seat will be one of the last to be taken. If someone does take it, I am sure they will gladly switch to the window so that you can take the aisle and middle.

Yes, take the aisle instead of the window - it is easier to get up and walk the aisle when you are allowed if needed.

Also, they are usually very helpful about leaving an empty seat, if there is one, next to a seat booked with a lap child.

No, you do not have to have a car seat. On our last flight (LA to Michigan and then Michigan to LA) we did not bring our car seat because Grandma had one for us to borrow . We did not purchase a seat for our 10 month old. And for all four flights (we had layovers) we were lucky enough to have an empty seat next to us. My son sat in my lap for take off and landing and when the seat belt sign was on. He spent the rest of the flight sleeping in the empty seat between us or sitting on it and playing - without a car seat. It worked for us, and honestly, he probably did better not being strapped in for the whole flight.

Only you know your child. For us, we started buying our DS a seat at 12 months. We had been on 13 trips his first year and were NEVER lucky enough to get an extra seat. I hope you have better luck on that one than we did.

Do try to book a window and an isle. You don't have to have a carseat, but it is safer. If you do bring one, they suggest that you put it in the window seat.

Find out what kind on plane you are flying on before you make seat reservations. US airlines require three oxygen masks in a row with a lap baby. Most rows only have two. Don't assume the airline will put you in a row with three masks just because you reservation says lap baby.

Not to be a party-pooper, but I made this mistake ONCE. And that flight we were stranded on the runway for 3 hours. With one seat. DD and I. It was such a nightmare, I swore I'd put off any further trips until I had the extra $300 to buy her her own seat.

Not likely to happen to you, but not a long shot these days either. Just be prepared.

No Infant Car Seats Allowed On Cathay Pacific Plane.

Op is flying from Michigan to Orlando. I doubt her flight is on Cathay Pacific.

I am wondering if you posted this moot point just to place the links for your advertising on this board?

The other problem with the bulkhead is that you cannot store any carry ons under a seat--all must be up above. I always seem to need the diaper bag/carry on more than the room to move (plus there's always the aisle walk)

I have a tip for this one. Take the bulkheads and stow your things. I bring a small cloth shopping bag and put in it what I'll need for the first hour or so of the flight, i.e. one diaper, a few wipes, a few snacks, etc. This tucks nicely over the bar, under my legs, even if there are other people's bags under my seat. You just need to tuck it in there somewhere.

Once you're in the air, you can bring down a few bags and put them at your feet. It's only for take-off and landing that everything has to be stowed.

The advantage of the bulkheads is that there is no one in front to disturb. A year old baby can be very active!

Unless you have a very tight connection, don't be in a hurry to get off the plane. If you're towards the back, the Flight Attendants getting off the aircraft might be able to give you a hand (says ex-F/A who helped many parents off the plane).

About the baby carriers, yes, a great idea! A year old baby would be too big for a Bjorn but the Mei Tai is a good idea. A front/back carrier is good, like an Ergo or Beco (among others but those are just examples). If you already use a wrap or ring sling (my personal favorite) bring that.

The baby has to be loose in your lap for take-off and landing. This is for the baby's safety. Even the smallest Mommy weighs more than even a big baby so picture what would happen in forward impact. Don't let me scare you! Air travel is safe so there is little chance of anything going wrong (why lap babies are allowed).

For the record, I did buy seats for my under-2's. I had to look at all those yukky photos and videos when I was with the airlines, plus, I fly a lot of long-hauls. I have done the lap thing a few times, usually because I wasn't allowed to bring a car seat (only on non-American companies). I don't want to debate this since the OP has made a decision not to bring a car seat and it's not entirely crazy, since, like I said, air travel itself is safe and it's not a long flight.

Yes, that's annoying about United Airlines and their bulkhead seats. Fellow parents, write and tell them this! I'm alone on 11 1/2 hour transatlantics with three little kids and I see all adults in the bulkhead... It's just wrong. Those seats should go to families with small children and babies. If you ask for bulkheads and are refused, and your child bugs the person in front, have them complain to United about this too :D

My totally non-commercial flying tips are in my siggy. Let me know if I can help!

Yes, that's annoying about United Airlines and their bulkhead seats. Fellow parents, write and tell them this! I'm alone on 11 1/2 hour transatlantics with three little kids and I see all adults in the bulkhead... It's just wrong. Those seats should go to families with small children and babies. If you ask for bulkheads and are refused, and your child bugs the person in front, have them complain to United about this too :D

Yes, UA does not block off bulkhead seats specifically for families, and I have no problem with that. If you are talking about the bulkhead seats in the E+ section, any family may choose these seats if they are willing to pay for E+ access, and the seats are available for their flights.

On larger planes, such as a 777, when there is a second set of bulkhead seats in the regular economy section, anyone may book these seats, and they often are filled with families. Just book your flights early for the best seat selectin.

Yes, UA does not block off bulkhead seats specifically for families, and I have no problem with that. If you are talking about the bulkhead seats in the E+ section, any family may choose these seats if they are willing to pay for E+ access, and the seats are available for their flights.

On larger planes, such as a 777, when there is a second set of bulkhead seats in the regular economy section, anyone may book these seats, and they often are filled with families. Just book your flights early for the best seat selectin.

That's not entirely true. United "prioritizes" bulkheads for frequent flyers, not families. So they would still put ff adults in bulkheads in any cabin before a family who paid for the same section, economy or E+.

That's where I have a problem. Adults can also sit in the exit rows, where families aren't allowed (no one under age 15) so that's a whole other option that they have, that those of us with little ones don't. This is the case on both the 777 and the 747 (any airline). The exit rows are at the front sides of economy on the 777 and across from the bulkheads at the no. 3 and 4 doors on the 47.

I'm usually on the 747 and I used to take their 777 until they started a non-stop closer to home. I also worked those aircraft a lot during my career.

I just think that those seats should be prioritized for families. Other airlines do that and it makes the flight more comfortable for everyone.

That's not entirely true. United "prioritizes" bulkheads for frequent flyers, not families. So they would still put ff adults in bulkheads in any cabin before a family who paid for the same section, economy or E+.

That's where I have a problem. Adults can also sit in the exit rows, where families aren't allowed (no one under age 15) so that's a whole other option that they have, that those of us with little ones don't. This is the case on both the 777 and the 747 (any airline). The exit rows are at the front sides of economy on the 777 and across from the bulkheads at the no. 3 and 4 doors on the 47.

I'm usually on the 747 and I used to take their 777 until they started a non-stop closer to home. I also worked those aircraft a lot during my career.

I just think that those seats should be prioritized for families. Other airlines do that and it makes the flight more comfortable for everyone.

I am not sure why putting children in bulkhead seats makes flights more comfortable for everyone.

UA blocks exit rows, and only allows elite members to choose these seats, until the 24 hour check in point. So, no, every adult cannot automatically choose exit seat rows.

You are incorrect about the bulkhead seats in regular economy. Anyone may choose the bulkhead seats there, even families with children. UA does not block the bulkhead seats (for example row 31 on 777-200) and save them for elite members. Anyone may choose them if they are available.

I am not sure why putting children in bulkhead seats makes flights more comfortable for everyone.

UA blocks exit rows, and only allows elite members to choose these seats, until the 24 hour check in point. So, no, every adult cannot automatically choose exit seat rows.

You are incorrect about the bulkhead seats in regular economy. Anyone may choose the bulkhead seats there, even families with children. UA does not block the bulkhead seats (for example row 31 on 777-200) and save them for elite members. Anyone may choose them if they are available.

That's not what I was told. I've never been given bulkhead seats because I was told that elite flyers had priority to sit there. Usually, they were occupied by adults. All the families with children were stuck in middle rows.

Simple logic. Bulkhead seats are more comfortable for those flying with children because there is no one in front of them to disturb. Active toddlers can wiggle around without the risk of kicking or bumping the seats in front of them Airlines seats are actually not very solid and you can feel movement behind you much more easily than say, in a car or bus.

If the child cries, and they're sitting foward, they cry towards the wall, not a row of people in front. Also, it's easier to get in and out of bulkhead seats since you can stand straight up, without having to negotiate the seats reclined in front. I found that I needed to get up a lot more often with my toddlers and babies so this was much easier.

Some airlines have wall-mounted bassinets which can only be used in bulkhead rows.

This is why some airlines even block the bulkhead seats for families with babies.

The FAA says anyone willing and able to help in an emergency, who is over age 15 can sit in the emergency exit rows. I have no idea what United's policy is on those seats since we're never allowed to sit there and wont for another 9 1/2 years!

Archived