Can a 16 month old get sea sick?

VaBeachCruisers897

I mean do they normally do well at this age? You normally here about older children or adults not small ones.

I'd think so. I was always carsick as a baby, didn't really get over that until I was tall enough -- around 6 or so - to see out the windows of a car. And carsickness is the same as seasickness..motion sickness.

When I was looking into this, most of what I found was that babies/toddlers don't usually get seasick because their center is so low, they don't feel the effect of the movement of the ship the way adults do. That said, I have read here that it does happen.

Best,

Mia

It's possible, but unlikely....until kids really get steady on their feet, they're always "wobbly" and don't get motion sickness...I wouldn't worry about it! You could always ask your pediatrician for something, just in case!

Thats what I was thinking. Just being carried around.. In and out of car seats.. General wobble walk etc..... I was thinking he should almost be immune. Heck ya rock him to get him to sleep when he is ill.....

Thanks, we are calling the pediatrician this week just incase there are shots they want to have. I will ask if they make any suggestions about sickness if it does occur at that age...

we brought our 18 month old this past jan. the only thing i found was she had trouble keeping her balance when the ship was rocking . She seemed kinda confused by it because she has been walking since she was 8 months

My daughter first got motion sick when she was about 14-16 months old, but that was in a car. So it's possible. Not probable because a cruise ship is certainly not a car, but possible.

I'd say better safe than sorry.

When I was looking into this' date=' most of what I found was that babies/toddlers don't usually get seasick because their center is so low, they don't feel the effect of the movement of the ship the way adults do. That said, I have read here that it does happen.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

I think you're probably right. My grandkids (3 and 1) have swayed to the beat of long-distance driving and flying and coastal boating trips with no problem. Don't know what the future holds, though.

Impossible no. Likely - not very. And the reason is the same--that small kids are able to spin round and round and never get sick. The same things that would make an older child turn green (or an adult) a small child would just giggle.

When we spin, our brains try to make sense of what our eyes are seeing -- then we get sick. That's the same as motion sickness and sea sickness. We feel the movement -- our brains can't make sense of it -- we get sick.

There really is nothing that a small, young child can take for motion sickness. Things like benedryl would knock her out -- even the children's formula. You could try the sea bands. Maybe some ginger pops.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been on two cruises with our son -- one when he was a year old and one when he was 19 months. during the first one, we went through the remnants of a typhoon -- it was ridiculously rough -- half the ship was sick...and so was our son. He actually turned green and then threw up. We took him to the middle of the ship on one of the middle of the decks and then he was fine.

Second cruise -- not as rough, but a rough patch..he turned green again -- we took him to the middle of the ship and he was fine again.

He doesn't get car sick and handles getting dizzy just fine.

Archived