Never River Cruised Before and need your advice!!!

mahondi2389

As I said, I have never entertained river cruises, but my DH has always dreamed of one and I've decided to give in (with trepidation). This may be TMI, but it must be considered in order to make a real vacation for both. My husband in 73 yrs old and has mobility problems which means he's not going to jump off the boat and walk a mile, tour art galleries etc. In fact, he's limited to about a block of walking, sit down, another block, sit, you get the picture. So I'll need a cruise that might accomodate something like that. Me? I'm fine and can walk anywhere. We have lived in Italy for the past 1 1/2 yrs and he longs to speak to someone in English, so I thought this would be perfect for him. As for the intinerary, I'd love to start in Amsterdam and possibly end in Amsterdam as that is the easiest airport to hotel scenario and we have friends there as well, so we can take a few days before and maybe a few days after. I think that will be my part of the vacation. One more thing, I'd like to do this soon (in warm weather). My schedule is impeded only by a cruise I'm going on w/my sister from 21 Aug - 8 Sep. Other than that, we can hop on a plane and start enjoying it. So, for those of you who are seasoned river cruises, do you have any advice for me? I hesitate calling a TA until I know what I'm looking for and I don't know that yet. I guess I've gone on enough, but this is what happens when I'm new at stuff, sometimes I research it to death. If you have any advice or guidance other than asking my to shut up, I'd be most grateful.:confused:

Most of the River Cruises are not round trip and like operate 14 days Amsterdam to Budapest or 14 days Budapest to Amsterdam . Whilst one could book back to back cruises that would give you 28 days round trip from Amsterdam, and of course calling at all places twice !

Mobility wise we found AMA Waterways excellent with older travellers and travellers with mobility issues . Whilst the walking tours would be out, the coach tours would probably be OK . In any case one can explore at will town areas close to the ship yourselves , or just stay on board at specific ports if you please . Over certain sectors the boat will proceed whilst the majority of pax are being transported by coach over that sector . Like Passau - Cesny Krumlov (Czech Republic) - Vienna by coach , or pax can stay on the boat and cruise that leg on water (but miss Cesny Krumlov) .

Most of river ships can handle mobility issues fine,,,some have elevators,but he may not be able to reach top deck unless he can climb steep stairs...I ve even seen people with walkers and crutches, can take excursions or not in towns,,,or try it and then go on own and return to ship...they dock in center of town,usually...I ve taken all the major cruise lines,,,each ship can be different in each line,,,so decide which itinerary suits you,check cruise lines on this website, then check the particular ship under MEmber reviews.....my personal favorite is Uniworld, but have enjoyed the others,just not as much.So do some research, and pick the trip, and just relax and ENJOY....try to get room with french balcony,then can even relax on bed and still enjoy the scenery,get room on top floor to reduce stair climb to lounge and dining room etc....any specific questions,please ask...I m a retired RN and more aware than most of mobiltity issues....good luck....;)

Have not seen any Amsterdam - Amsterdam trips offered but recently did Paris to Paris if that's of interest to you. One of the ships we were a few years ago had a motorized chair attached to the stairway for people to use. On our last cruise there was a lady with MS who rented a battery operated cart to use for sightseeing. The crew would carry it off and on from its storage spot. From Rouen we had to take a bus to the beaches at Normandy and the cart was stored in the luggage area of the bus. I believe she took every tour. Also, in picking your room, the restaurant can be located on any level, fore or aft, so it's best to study the deck plans located on the web sites if this is an issue. Some are located on half decks so a stairway in a must. Best of luck.

Some river cruise lines market to areas where English is not the primary language spoken - this means that you'll have a mix of French, German, Spanish, etc plus English speaking passengers on board.

Other river cruise lines target passengers from English speaking countries. I've only done river cruises with Uniworld - on this line you'll find almost all passengers from the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and South Africa.

You and your husband will need to decide which is preferable for your needs.

Hope this helps.

Joe

AMA is another line that caters to English speaking passengers. As others have said few itineraries are round trip. However, AMA has shipboard seven day itineraries between Budapest and Nuremburg. The passengers go off on land based trips, but i am sure you can book cruise only.

As some others have said not all ships have elevators so be sure to check on that if climbing stairs is an issue.

Check carefully where the ships dock. While often they are in the middle of town, often they are not. Again, however, the ship's front desk can call a taxi if you are not on a bus tour.

One word of caution, many of the tours require a fair amount of walking. AMA has ship tours that cater to those who need to walk a little slower.

About the only time they do Amsterdam round trips is during tulip (spring) time. The rest of the time most lines go from Amsterdam to someplace else and then return on a separate cruise.

We just did an AMA river cruise from Budapest to Nuremberg, and they did have a group for "gentle walkers." I noticed that there was a small lift onboard. In Bratislava the gentle walkers took a little train through town, and in Nuremberg we were all on bus tours and then explored on our own. I don't know how much walking they did in other ports. After you make a tentative choice, I suggest you contact a TA or the line directly and ask for more specific information.

Have not seen any Amsterdam - Amsterdam trips offered but recently did Paris to Paris if that's of interest to you. One of the ships we were a few years ago had a motorized chair attached to the stairway for people to use. On our last cruise there was a lady with MS who rented a battery operated cart to use for sightseeing. The crew would carry it off and on from its storage spot. From Rouen we had to take a bus to the beaches at Normandy and the cart was stored in the luggage area of the bus. I believe she took every tour. Also, in picking your room, the restaurant can be located on any level, fore or aft, so it's best to study the deck plans located on the web sites if this is an issue. Some are located on half decks so a stairway in a must. Best of luck.

Any idea where someone would be able to rent a motorized chair or other type of wheelchair for the sightseeing trips? I contacted Viking and they apparently have no wheelchair available for use on the sightseeing excursions. Too bad, that would be ideal for me!!

As I said, I have never entertained river cruises, but my DH has always dreamed of one and I've decided to give in (with trepidation). This may be TMI, but it must be considered in order to make a real vacation for both. My husband in 73 yrs old and has mobility problems which means he's not going to jump off the boat and walk a mile, tour art galleries etc. In fact, he's limited to about a block of walking, sit down, another block, sit, you get the picture. So I'll need a cruise that might accomodate something like that. Me? I'm fine and can walk anywhere. We have lived in Italy for the past 1 1/2 yrs and he longs to speak to someone in English, so I thought this would be perfect for him. As for the intinerary, I'd love to start in Amsterdam and possibly end in Amsterdam as that is the easiest airport to hotel scenario and we have friends there as well, so we can take a few days before and maybe a few days after. I think that will be my part of the vacation. One more thing, I'd like to do this soon (in warm weather). My schedule is impeded only by a cruise I'm going on w/my sister from 21 Aug - 8 Sep. Other than that, we can hop on a plane and start enjoying it. So, for those of you who are seasoned river cruises, do you have any advice for me? I hesitate calling a TA until I know what I'm looking for and I don't know that yet. I guess I've gone on enough, but this is what happens when I'm new at stuff, sometimes I research it to death. If you have any advice or guidance other than asking my to shut up, I'd be most grateful.:confused:

Check out Vantage River Cruises. They cater to seniors and their itineraries are conducted entirely in English. Their ships have elevators and chair lifts to the top deck. Like most lines their only Amsterdam to Amsterdam cruise is during the spring tulip time. They do not have wheelchairs and many of the stops along the Rhine, Main and Danube would present some problems for a person with mobility limitations. European towns along these rivers tend to be hilly and have cobblestones. You book directly with Vantage in Boston as they do not use travel agents. We have been on two cruises with Vantage and loved both of them.

Any idea where someone would be able to rent a motorized chair or other type of wheelchair for the sightseeing trips? I contacted Viking and they apparently have no wheelchair available for use on the sightseeing excursions. Too bad, that would be ideal for me!!

You might try these folks: http://www.scootanywhere.com/?gclid=CLns_s2Y_KECFQK8sgodFDdGDg

We were on a river cruise 2 years ago. We went with UNIWORLD, from Basel in Switzerland/France to Vienna. It was so different to ocean cruising and they can not be compared. The staff were always very helpful, and very friendly. The ship River Countess had a lift except to the top deck. The food was tops +++ and also the wine. The daily excursions were always arranged, and a bus would pick you up at the boat. The cruise director was always available for assistance. Our evaluation of the cruise was You couldn't wish for, or fault anything, and most passengers agreed. We had also been on a coach tour with Trafalgar, which when booking the price was cheaper but you had lots of expensive daily extras to add on. The river cruise had everything included, including wine at night and plenty of it.

I recommend a french window or Balcony. Your husband should not have to much problem with mobility particularly if he can managed a few steps.

Book and go.

Gwen

We are on the Amadolce right now, and I would recommend it for your needs. Top notch operation.

Although we don't have special needs (yet), those that do seem to be well accommodated. The ship has at least 1 handicap cabin, and there is a lift, as well as the "gentle" tours someone else has mentioned.

Best of luck!

Archived