Halifax - Has anyone used Garry Jollymore?

Maryann, I could not follow your link but found the following. Good recommendation and when he could not do the tour sent someone who was also good.

Halifax- We booked with a gentleman named Garry Jollymore. He was AWESOME- showed up ontime, with a sign with our names on it and we were off- a great tour all in all! I would deinfately recommend him and can provide you with his email if you would like. We did a Peggy's Cove and city tour (including Titanic Cemetary) and still had time for a seafood lunch and some shopping, along with an independant walk down the pier to the ship.

post_old.gif October 17th, 2009, 04:49 PM

mjbc user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

I had booked with Garry Jollymore in April this year but when we arrived in Halifax off the Crown Princess (Oct 3rd sailing), he had sent someone else in his place without firstly letting us know. Originally I was a bit miffed; however Dave Marriott was a wonderful guide. A history buff and very knowledgeable. We had a great tour with Dave.

My apologies for the bad link.

I have just learned that posting a link to a Cruise Critic search only lasts a few moments. It worked when I tried it. However I see you did a search so all is well.

My apologies for the bad link.

I have just learned that posting a link to a Cruise Critic search only lasts a few moments. It worked when I tried it. However I see you did a search so all is well.

Maryann, thans for your help!

Was the link that I posted the one you were looking at too?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow-up, we did book Garry Jollymore for a tour from Halifax to Lunenberg on our date in September. There were three companies that would have all been fine. Garry said he was personally available for our date, so decided to go with him. There was also a review that we read that said when he couldn't make it he sent another excellent driver in his place.

He says this tour can be done in 5.5 hours. He is $45.00 per hour and cost will work out to $50.00 per person ($49.50pp to be exact) for 5 people. He will take US or Canadian at the same rate at the end of the tour.

His van is a Ford Freestar air conditioned and actually holds 3 in the far back seat, 2 in the middle seats, and 1 in the front with him the driver. That is 6 plus the driver, but he says 5 plus driver will be much more comfortable.

Here is his new web-site which is under construction.

www.nova-scotia-van-tours.com

The singer is Nova Scotias' own Rita McNeil and Garry says she is from Cape Breton and very popular there.

The rate is for the tour and any additional time would be prearranged before we return at $22.50 per half hour increments. He says the traveling times are carefully calculated so we do not have to pay for traffic or construction delays that might be encountered.

Halifax - 8:00am-4:00pm

Lunenberg Tour - 8:15am-1:45pm (or 8:30am-2:00pm)

* Depart cruise dock at 8:15am

(assuming we dock on time at 8:00am)

* Visit Titanic Cemetery - 15 minutes here

* Drive direct to Mahone Bay 15 minutes here

* Drive to Lunenburg - approx 90 minutes to explore on own

(Optional - Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic - Entrance fee $10.00pp)

* Return to Halifax (drive around Citadel time permitting)

-- drop off near Maritime Museum of the Atlantic

(Entrance fee $8.75pp ($7.75 seniors rate), Titanic Exhibit on the 2nd Floor)

* Total "tour" time 5.5 hours

• 4 weeks later...

We used Garry for 4 of us Roll Callers on Explorer of The Seas last summer. We toured Halifax,Peggys Cove/Swiss Air Memorial and the Fairview Cemetary/Titanic. He have a great tour, was safe and was very knowledgable. His commentary at the Fairview cemetary was excellent. Hopefully we will tour with him again.

Katybird-I'm not sure if he adds others. Usually the smaller private tours dont do this. Just the two of your would be fine but it would be more expensive than sharing with others. You could let him know that you would tour with others if somebody else was booking on that day.

Better yet go to your Roll Call for this sailing. It looks like you may have not done this. The Roll Calls are a great way to share tours.

Dave

There are just 2 of us. Do they take bookings for 2 and then add people? We certainly don't want to book the whole van for just the 2 of us!

The price is for the van. Find out if he is available for your date and than post on your roll call.

I really try not post negative messages but since someone asked about a tour operator we used and had mixed feelings about I wanted to add our experiences with him.

We used Garry Jollymore in 2008 and he was wonderful and the price was right. The tour was exactly what we expected and wanted.

Last year, we sailed with my family and we wanted the same tour for them. So we we booked Garry again but he sent another gentleman without telling us before hand. Well, what were we supposed to do? We are standing on the docks and had to make a quick decision. So we went with him.

He was very nice but way too talkative. I mean he went on and on about himself. He even told us the story of how he lost his toes, during our lunch...at the lunch table. He also informed us while he was driving he gets dizzy spells and had passed out before.

He wanted to take us to the beach, we said no thianks we have to get back. Well, he said the kids will love the beach. After a while of this we said okay, he's driving I guess we are going to the beach.

After we finally get back to the ship....extremely late I might add. He tells us the cost....3 times as much as Garry Jollymore qoted us. We were furious! We paid it but we will never book with him again.

Did we have a nice time? Yes....but it was way longer than we wanted. We had zero time to shop and we were starving by the time we got to the ship. Only stopped for lunch at a donut place.

If you get Garry...you will have a great time. If he subs on you.....good luck. We are sailing New England / Canada again in October, we did not book with Garry this year.

I really try not post negative messages but since someone asked about a tour operator we used and had mixed feelings about I wanted to add our experiences with him.

We used Garry Jollymore in 2008 and he was wonderful and the price was right. The tour was exactly what we expected and wanted.

Last year, we sailed with my family and we wanted the same tour for them. So we we booked Garry again but he sent another gentleman without telling us before hand. Well, what were we supposed to do? We are standing on the docks and had to make a quick decision. So we went with him.

He was very nice but way too talkative. I mean he went on and on about himself. He even told us the story of how he lost his toes, during our lunch...at the lunch table. He also informed us while he was driving he gets dizzy spells and had passed out before.

He wanted to take us to the beach, we said no thianks we have to get back. Well, he said the kids will love the beach. After a while of this we said okay, he's driving I guess we are going to the beach.

After we finally get back to the ship....extremely late I might add. He tells us the cost....3 times as much as Garry Jollymore qoted us. We were furious! We paid it but we will never book with him again.

Did we have a nice time? Yes....but it was way longer than we wanted. We had zero time to shop and we were starving by the time we got to the ship. Only stopped for lunch at a donut place.

If you get Garry...you will have a great time. If he subs on you.....good luck. We are sailing New England / Canada again in October, we did not book with Garry this year.

ChefPeg, so who was this person? And, why was his price 3 x what you had been quoted? We always bring copies of what we have agreed to and always go over the itinerary and price when getting into a van, especially if the person we booked with sent someone else in their place.

Finally you did not state the itinerary, time and price paid, which would be helpful.

If someone quoted us $200.00, and at the end of the tour told us it was $600.00, I wouldn't even expect those traveling with us to be carrying 3 x that quote. Was the tour 3 times the length?

ChefPeg, so who was this person? And, why was his price 3 x what you had been quoted? We always bring copies of what we have agreed to and always go over the itinerary and price when getting into a van, especially if the person we booked with sent someone else in their place.

Finally you did not state the itinerary, time and price paid, which would be helpful.

If someone quoted us $200.00, and at the end of the tour told us it was $600.00, I wouldn't even expect those traveling with us to be carrying 3 x that quote. Was the tour 3 times the length?

Not sure why you would ask if we had our papers with us. I gave a short version of a long story.

I only posted our experiences in case, when you get to the pier, you are, or may be, greeted with someone other than Garry Jollymore.

Have a great cruise!

Not sure why you would ask if we had our papers with us. I gave a short version of a long story.

I only posted our experiences in case, when you get to the pier, you are, or may be, greeted with someone other than Garry Jollymore.

Have a great cruise!

I asked because you stated you were charged 3 times the agreed upon price, and you agreed to pay it. I was trying to find out how that happened. I can only assume your tour lasted 3 times the length (and you agreed to extend the tour). Plus you stated you were starving and never had time to eat. When you book a private tour it is normally your tour to decide when you need to stop etc.

I am mainly interested because we have this tour operator booked and you stated you are not using him again.

I just inquired about using Gary Jollymore, and he was booked, but had two alternatives. One was Bruce (professor) and one Daryll. Anyone have either as their driver/tour guide? Also, has anyone had 6 in the van and was it too crowded? There is a luxury sedan for 4 as a choice, but then the cost is higher split 4 rather than 6 ways. Any thoughts?

I just inquired about using Gary Jollymore, and he was booked, but had two alternatives. One was Bruce (professor) and one Daryll. Anyone have either as their driver/tour guide? Also, has anyone had 6 in the van and was it too crowded? There is a luxury sedan for 4 as a choice, but then the cost is higher split 4 rather than 6 ways. Any thoughts?

Lofty, I was looking to use Bruce and he was booked and recommended Gary. They do not recommend 6, unless you know the people such as children. Of course it depends on the type of van. You will have 3 people sitting in a row

• 1 month later...

Just back from a New England/Canada cruise. We prefer to book private tours when possible, but this time only did so in Halifax. After doing some research I chose to contact Gary Jollymore of Van Tours of Nova Scotia. I had trouble reaching them through their web site so I called and spoke to Dave (turns out Dave and Gary run this business). He said that either he or Gary would be at the dock waiting for us. Due to a family emergency I neglected to confirm our tour closer to our departure date. So, I was a little concerned that anyone would be there to meet us as it had been about six weeks since I had made the reservation by phone and had no paper followup or proof. When we docked, I called and Dave answered and said that he was leaving right now and would be there and he was right there waiting for us. It was just my husband and myself and we had a delightful day. Dave is a very down to earth person who was a fountain of historical information. However, we enjoyed just as much getting to know him, Halifax/Nova Scotia today, and discussing all kinds of topics. Since he is also a taxi driver and has lived in Halifax most of his life, we really got to see so much of the city and surrounding area. I wanted to go to Peggy's Cove which is a bit of a drive, but it went fast due to our conversations with Dave. He isn't one to just drop you off but explains what you are about to see. He did a particularly great job at the cemetery with the Titanic gravesites. It was fascinating. It was all around a great day and we were charged exactly as stated on their web site - $45 an hour (we paid in US dollars) for a five-hour tour.

Maryann, I could not follow your link but found the following. Good recommendation and when he could not do the tour sent someone who was also good.

Halifax- We booked with a gentleman named Garry Jollymore. He was AWESOME- showed up ontime, with a sign with our names on it and we were off- a great tour all in all! I would deinfately recommend him and can provide you with his email if you would like. We did a Peggy's Cove and city tour (including Titanic Cemetary) and still had time for a seafood lunch and some shopping, along with an independant walk down the pier to the ship.

post_old.gif October 17th, 2009, 04:49 PM

mjbc user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

I had booked with Garry Jollymore in April this year but when we arrived in Halifax off the Crown Princess (Oct 3rd sailing), he had sent someone else in his place without firstly letting us know. Originally I was a bit miffed; however Dave Marriott was a wonderful guide. A history buff and very knowledgeable. We had a great tour with Dave.[/q

We will be in Halifax and have booked Bruce Cochrane. He has an Uplander Van. He is taking us to Peggy's Cove and Lunnenberg which is about 6.5 hours in duration. The cost for the 4 of us is $260. Does anybody have any feedback on Bruce's tours?

• 4 weeks later...

We used Bruce a few days ago. We had a wonderful trip and I highly recommend him. We arrived late on the Caribbean Princess. Bruce was waiting for us. He started us off with a piece of maple hard candy (we purchased some later on). We went to Lunenburg a beautiful, colorful fishing village. We stopped at a quaint village for lunch (1/2 lobster sandwich and a cup of seafood chowder). Saw Oak Island and heard about the treasure mystery. Made many photographic stops. Bruce wrote down the names of the places for our record. Last stop was Peggy's Cove. We were there after most of the tours. There were 4 adults in a Chevy van. It could have held 6 (for a cheaper per person rate) but in my opinion, it would have been a bit tight for a full day (6.5 hours) trip.

Bruce offers many other trips, but I highly recommend Lunenburg.

Archived