Explorer- Is the Balcony Glass Clear or Tinted?

Can't remember if the balcony is metal or glass is cloudy/tinted or clear. We were on one ship (either Radiance or Voyager class) and were annoyed that we could not see through the glass on the balcony while seated because is was tinted.

Also, Explorer is now ten years old. Has she been refurbished recently or is she showing her age? Is it just Portofino's, or is Chops available also?

That's what my husband just reminded me of- that it was metal, not glass. Any chance they have refurbished them and replaced them with glass?

I can't for the life of me understand why they would design a balcony with obstructed view:confused:

Voyager, Explorer, and Adventure of the Seas have glass on Decks 7,8,9,10 while Deck 6 Balconies are steel. (with rails)

See Below. . .

Radio

;);)

Deck 10 / Exp,orer of the Seas

CBB12.jpg

June 2006

Deck 6 Balcony / Explorer of the Seas

T3.JPG

May 2010

Voyager, Explorer, and Adventure of the Seas have glass on Decks 7,8,9,10 while Deck 6 Balconies are steel. (with rails)

See Below. . .

Radio

;);)

Deck 10 / Exp,orer of the Seas

CBB12.jpg

June 2006

Deck 6 Balcony / Explorer of the Seas

T3.JPG

May 2010

So if I book a cabin on deck 8 I will have glass? It appears that the balcony on deck 10 was a suite, correct?

We were on Explorer a couple weeks ago - Deck 7 in an E2. Our first balcony, and we loved it:

DSC_0004-1.jpg

The Explorer had a short drydock in January, I believe, when they did some work on the public areas, which to us were beautiful, no issues. We DID have some rust and peeling paint on our balcony, and the rail could use some varnish, but it did not bother us in the least. We still had a wonderful time and enjoyed having a balcony VERY much.

We found the crew to be exceptional - top-notch service, very friendly, and seemed happy to be there.

Sue

Hello Everyone...I'm new to this website. I called RCI and they indicated that EOS would provide bath robes, slippers and beach towels in each cabin. :) The only thing in find in writing relates to the suites. :confused:. Can someone verify this. We're booked for 2/6/11 cat D2 deck 9 with balcony. Thanks for the pics great shots.

Hello Everyone...I'm new to this website. I called RCI and they indicated that EOS would provide bath robes, slippers and beach towels in each cabin. :) The only thing in find in writing relates to the suites. :confused:. Can someone verify this. We're booked for 2/6/11 cat D2 deck 9 with balcony. Thanks for the pics great shots.

Welcome to CC!

Unfortunately, many people find that asking questions of RCL reps on the phone is a real hit-or-miss proposition. Call three times and you will often get three different answers. From my understanding, many of the phone reps have never been on a ship!

You have come to the right place! Some folks here get worked up over some topics, but in general people are very helpful and will provide you with the "voice of experience" when it comes to cruising.

Now, to get to your question, your doubts are well-founded. Non-suite cabins do NOT have robes, slippers, or beach towels. Some folks have said they have been able to get robes from their room stewards if they asked and there were extras around, but I have never heard of anyone having them in the cabin when they arrive.

And we have never had a suite, but I don't believe even suites have "beach towels". Every room has towels for the bathroom, but pool/beach towels have to be signed out using your seapass card at the towel station on the pool deck. You can sign out as many as you want, then trade wet for dry all week, and at the end of the week turn in the same number you signed out so that you are not charged ($20 each) for them. And they are not large beach towels, they are just slightly larger than a bath towel. They can be taken off the ship in port for the beach, no problem.

There are also towels in the fitness center locker rooms that are pretty large and do not need to be signed out. Some folks just use those to not worry about turning anything back in.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Sue

One way around the checking out of beach towels is to go the the spa. There are the older yellow towels around the indoor whirlpool there for the taking. We used those when going off ship so we didn't have to be concerned with losing them. :)

We did ask our steward for robes when we arrived and he was happy to bring in 4 for us. No problem.

One of the first things we do is hunt down our cabin steward and ask him to replace our balcony chairs with lounge chairs from the pool. We give him $20 and by the time we get back to our cabin after the muster drill we have two lounge chairs on the balcony:D

Welcome to CC!

Unfortunately, many people find that asking questions of RCL reps on the phone is a real hit-or-miss proposition. Call three times and you will often get three different answers. From my understanding, many of the phone reps have never been on a ship!

You have come to the right place! Some folks here get worked up over some topics, but in general people are very helpful and will provide you with the "voice of experience" when it comes to cruising.

Now, to get to your question, your doubts are well-founded. Non-suite cabins do NOT have robes, slippers, or beach towels. Some folks have said they have been able to get robes from their room stewards if they asked and there were extras around, but I have never heard of anyone having them in the cabin when they arrive.

Sue

If you are Platinum or higher in Crown & Anchor, you get robes in your cabin when you arrive.

Come over and join the roll call.Explorer - february 6, 2011 - winter express to fun and sun ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

darkauf

Dick

If you are Platinum or higher in Crown & Anchor, you get robes in your cabin when you arrive.

Hi: We were on the Explorer in November '08 in an E-1 Balcony. We had robes, pool towels in the room when we arrived. I understand now there are no pool towels in the room. You must get them at poolside! A mild inconvenience, but not a big deal.

I'm sure we'll have robes this time again, unless they changed that also. We're leaving 11/7 for 12 nights on the Explorer again and can't wait.

Safe sails to all :-)

Thanks so much for quick response. It took me a while to find it. I am slowly navigating my way round the CC website. I knew it was to good to be true. I will take my own beach towels for size/style/color and use the ships towels as back up. And of course I will remember to take slippers and maybe a light weight robe. What are your thoughts on My Time Dining. This will be a much need cruise for my husband and I. More of a celebration. I have been fighting breast cancer since Jan 2010. Scheduled for radiation therapy in Augusst and reconstruction surgery sometime late Oct or mid Nov. Two months to recover and EOS here we come.

Due to surgery scheduling and other treatments required me to change resvervation several times. As a result we are no longer able to get the early seating for dinner. We actally prefer a table for two near a window. My TA suggested that we make arrangements for that as soon as we board the ship. (Feb 6, 2011) Thanks in advance.

nume

Nume - Don't bother bringing your own beach towels....a waste of precious luggage space and why would you want to worry about wet and sandy towels! The ship's towels are perfectly fine. At the end of the day or when you get back from an excursion just turn them in for dry ones and bring them back to your cabin if you have an excursion the next day. Its very easy.....

Good luck with your surgeries.

Enjoy your cruise !!!

Dee

Archived