why vcr in suite?

smores

I'm guessing that the DVD players are coded for region 1 US/Canada? That's crummy for non North Americans...possibly why the VCRs instead or combo units. Although personally I can't imagine why you'd be in your cabin watching tv anyway...maybe as an electronic babysitter for the kids or something.

another question--Do they have a "video library" on the ship for getting movies, or is it solely for bringing your own?

One reason someone might want the tv on is we enjoy it while getting ready to go out, or just laying in bed. The regular programming, over and over and over and over and over again, got old really fast.

I'm guessing that the DVD players are coded for region 1 US/Canada?

You can have the same problem with video tapes. North America uses NTSC while most of Europe uses PAL.

You'd think if they are going to offer VCR or DVD on the ship, they'd have a video library of stuff compatible with their system.:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
One reason someone might want the tv on is we enjoy it while getting ready to go out...

I'd like to be able to playback stills and video from my camera. Standard NTSC video out (RCA or S-Video).

I've read elsewhere that the TV+VCR on Carnival (Conquest) does not have any sort of video-in connection at all?:(

...maybe as an electronic babysitter for the kids or something.

If you've ever traveled with little ones, you'll understand that any kink in their routine (even a "good" kink, like vacations or Christmas) can upset their disposition. Perhaps something familiar, like their favorite tv show, is all it takes to calm an otherwise fussy child. Call it an electronic babysitter if you like, but to kids, familiar = comfortable. I take videos & dvds when we travel, for their comfort, not mine.

Connie

mother of 5

We were on the Legend in a Cat. 11 suite and had a VCR. There was no video library on board so I don't know what purpose the VCR serves. As a matter of fact, we had 2 VCR's in the suite collecting dust.

Personally, I still prefer cassettes because they are easy to record on and I still prefer vcr tapes for the same reason. I have never even purchased a dvd yet although I do have a dvd player. I bought a new car and hate it that a cassette player is no longer an option. I wanted a portable car vcr player and they only sell dvds. I had to get one on ebay. Sometimes I think new things are not always best. A child can put in their own vcr tapes but not dvds. They could get scratched or broken too easily. I do not notice any quality difference. I guess I am behind the times but personally think it something is good why change it?

Personally, I still prefer cassettes because they are easy to record on and I still prefer vcr tapes for the same reason. I have never even purchased a dvd yet although I do have a dvd player. I bought a new car and hate it that a cassette player is no longer an option. I wanted a portable car vcr player and they only sell dvds. I had to get one on ebay. Sometimes I think new things are not always best. A child can put in their own vcr tapes but not dvds. They could get scratched or broken too easily. I do not notice any quality difference. I guess I am behind the times but personally think it something is good why change it?

Get a DVD recorder. Better still, on a PC you can make as many copies of your original DVDs as you want and who cares if a copy gets scratched.... Watch the ads carefully and you can get a 50 pk of DVD+R (or-R if that's what your recorders / players use) for $5, or DVD+RW for a little more than this if you want re-writable. You can't buy VCR tapes that cheap and the quality just doesn't compare.

We went swimming with the dolphins and they made a VHS video for us. Well we paid for it. But we were able to show everyone else we were cruising with what we did that day. Most Islands still use VHS to record things for the tourists, knowing that there is a vcr in our rooms to watch it on. One reason.:)

Archived