On the Sprit out of New Orleans can someone tell me

helicopter

We were starboard and docked on that side both on the Spirit and Sun at Cozumel. However, I think it's just luck which side it will be each trip. Forgot to add, with the Sun docking though the ship was on the inside of the dock so the view of Cozumel was on the port side. As I said, just luck.

which side of the ship I should book so that I am facing most of the islands when we dock. I know we tender in Belize. I enjoy sitting on the balcony and looking at the islands when we are pulling in.

You never know, we have docked on both sides in Cozumel (picture was Nov 2010). Last month in Roatan the port side was facing the dock, we were the 1st ship in and had backed in. Costa Maya was starboard to the dock. When in New Orleans it was starboard facing the terminal both in and out.

UF

1094686179_Nov2010_NCL175.jpg.17915b491b90a3f2d3ec43c0a256cf86.jpg

You never know, we have docked on both sides in Cozumel (picture was Nov 2010). Last month in Roatan the port side was facing the dock, we were the 1st ship in and had backed in. Costa Maya was starboard to the dock. When in New Orleans it was starboard facing the terminal both in and out. UF

You never know is the best answer I've read so far. You never know which other ships will be in port when you are. An additional ship more, or a ship less, than usual can completely change the berthing arrangements.

As that photo from Cozumel shows, even if you are on the side closest to shore, your view can be blocked.

Other considerations that comes into play. One is where the Captain plans to run lifeboat drills, and which lifeboat he plans to drill. Usually, the Captain will use a lifeboat away from the pier, and that could change how he docks the ship. Another is wind conditions, direction and speed, while docking or possible projected for un-docking. The high superstructures of ships today act like huge sails, making maneuvering in the close quarters difficult. The Captain may decide to turn the ship around, ie maneuvered more, today than later in the week.

Archived