Where to Begin Looking? Family of 5

Guest nemo2005

Guest nemo2005

We're thinking about a 7-night Caribbean cruise for 2006 in Feb. or March. Where do we start?

1. Family of 5 so we need a room big enough for 5 or connecting rooms as the kids would be 10, 9, and 6 years old.

2. Would prefer a balcony for relaxing once the kids retire for the night.

3. Dress-up dinners for vacation are not our style - prefer to limit those.

4. shore excursions that are kid-friendly

5. kid's club that are good for our kid's ages - (all boys, by the way)

6. would board from Florida or other East Coast/TX city - we would have to fly to the port city.

7. evening shows that are family-friendly (trying to not do Disney - just in want of a non-Disney trip)

Suggestions? The rooms issues gives a glitch when I try to check pricing on-line as they tend to max out at 4 per room.

I think Celebrity has a "family stateroom" on some of its ships that will sleep up to 8. It includes a balcony.

Check deck plans at the individual lines websites for adjoining staterooms. In some cases you may have to sacrifice storage space for a door.

Hope this helps.

Beth

I highly recommend one of RCCLs Voyager class ships. Much to do for a family and lots of activities for the boys - mini golf, ice skating, inline skating, great kids club. I hardly saw my 11 year old the whole time we sailed - we actually missed him. We did the Disney Wonder as well and he enjoyed the Voyager far more. We have also sailed on the Carnival Inspiration, one of the older Canival ships, and it was the least favorite of our 3 cruises. Not as much to do and the ship looked its age. Maybe a newer Carnival ship would be OK but I can say I really like Royal Carrib. We are trying Princess next week so will know better how that compares after we take that trip.

I do know the Voyager class has Family Staterooms that would be comfortable but I don't believe they have balconies. You could also look at the Junior Suites but not sure if they sleep 5. I do know families often get one balcony room and then an inside directly across the hall. Though not connecting, many have been comfortable with this.

We are also a family of 5 (11, 8 and 5 at cruise time in 2006) looking to cruise for the first time. I've been researching cabins on RCI, Celebrity, Carnival and Princess quite a bit. We'll probably let "price" decide whether to take a suite or two connecting rooms (or even a room across the hall from each other).

RCI Radiance Class has wonderful Royal Family Suites that sleep 8 with big balconies...though I'm sure they are pricey. Unfortunately, Jr Suites show that they sleep 3-4. A Grande Suite can accomodate 5 with a roll away. They also have a Family Ocean View Stateroom that looks GREAT...Queen bed + bunk beds + sleeper sofa. I'd probably miss the balcony...but it will give me something to look forward to next time!

Celebrity also has a Family OV on their Millenium class shops...not sure how many it sleeps. HUGE balcony though.

Princess has a Family Suite that sleeps 8. Their Mini Suite with balcony seems roomy...but not sure how many it accomodates.

I don't have the details on Carnival yet...but they seem to cater to families...so they probably have a good option for 5.

If you want to PM me, I have a spreadsheet in the works with the various cabins and square footage.

Guest nemo2005

kweaver:

I'd like to see your notes on the spots for family of 5. I cannot figure out how to PM you, though.

I called RCCL and they said Grand Suite or 2 adjoining rooms to fit 5 would be best cost choices. If you go with 2 connecting rooms, you get 2 bathrooms and 2 TVs and "real beds" for 4 people with only 1 on the sleeper sofa. If you use the Grand Suite, you have 2 in the real beds, 2 on the sleeper sofa, and 1 on the rollaway with 1 bathroom (2 sinks, though) and 1 tv. My kids vote for connecting rooms, esp. if you can prop the door open.

Some - but not all - Carnival ships accommodate 5 in a cabin. We sailed Carnival Victory with 5 in a balcony cabin. The Camp Carnival program is very good; our boys really enjoyed it. The activities change every 1/2 hour, so if there's an activity they don't enjoy as much there will be a new one coming along soon. The "Vegas"-style evening shows are entertaining for all ages, but the showgirls' costumes can be somewhat revealing (I would rate them PG, maybe PG-13). Camp Carnival operates until 10 p.m., with babysitting available after that at extra cost. Hope this helps - I'd be happy to try to answer other questions.

Hey all.

I just read recently that NCL is starting a new program to encourage families to sail with them. They are lauching ships with many more connecting rooms. It also said something about getting a discount on a connecting room. Sorry I do not remember where I read it. It might be worth asking about.

Nemo,

Our family of 5 has done two Carnival cruises and just booked a third. We did our first when the children were 6,6 and 9, and again at 7,7 and 10. We first sailed on the Sensation and then on the Paradise. We are sailing on the Destiny in the fall. We had no trouble with 5 in a cabin and it saved us a lot of money. It was a lttle crowded but OK.

The kids picked what they wanted to do in Camp Carnival. They liked most of the activities. The waterslides on the ships got a lot of use as well.

You have to call your TA or Carnival to get pricing for 5.

The new ships only do 4 in a room.

In a couple of years when they are all teens we will opt for two cabins, but for now one works OK.

Good luck.

Sorry Nemo, I think emails were blocked as I didn't allow for that feature when I registered. Fixed that now. I guess this board doesn't have PM priviledges?

Anyway...click on my name and you should be able to send me an email (I tried yours, but they aren't allowed).

I'm leaning toward two rooms as well. If we can choose a balcony room and then an inside room across the hall, I think that will work well for us. We'll have an adult in each room anyway...and I don't care which one I sleep it...but I'd really like to have at least one balcony.

We are about to embark on our 3rd cruise as a family. On Disney we did 2 connecting insides, on Celebrity we did 3 insides as we also had my mom with us. Next week we are leaving and we will have 2 connecting obstructed views. We found the prices for 2 connecting insides to be a better value for us compared to going to one suite. Having 2 bathrooms is a bonus. Our plan is always to go the most cost effective so we can go more often. This cruise my kids will be 9, 11, and 13.

We have five in our family and I definitely would not recommend all in one cabin. Have the parents in an outside room with the kids across the hall in an inside. It is so much nicer to have 2 showers, 2 toilets, 2 sinks and 2 closets. It is impossible to store all the clothes for 5 people in one cabin only. Do yourselves a favor and get a seperate cabin from your kids.

We are a family of five with three kids ages 7, 9 and 10. On RCCL, there is a family oceanview stateroom that has a queen bed, a couch that sleeps two and a separate area with bunk beds. There is only one bathroom but it worked out fine for us. It is not as pricy as one of the suites. RCCL also has a lot of connecting cabins. When we've cruised Princess, we had two mini-suites where the balconies had a door that could be opened between cabins or we've just gotten two cabins (inside or outside) next to each other. Most of Princess' cabins don't have connecting doors. We just have one adult stay in each cabin. It works out fine for us until the kids are older and can stay by themselves. I'm not comfortable with that yet. The other popular option is a balcony cabin with an inside cabin across from it. You can spend most of your time in the balcony cabin and just go across the hall to sleep.

Yes .... I know I have seen them on some ships. Take a look atthe deck plans for cruises you are interested in. I believe most are at the front, exact middle, or rear of the ships if available. They are out there .. good luck in hunting.

This is IRT the question about adjoining inside and balcony cabins.

Archived