Best Snorkeling Beaches

sarahc78

What would you all reccommend as the best beaches to snorkel in Bermuda?

We had a great time last year at Tobacco Bay & Horse Shoe Bay. This year we will be docked one day longer so I would like to go somewhere new as well as our other favorites.

Church Bay is located on the route #7 bus line. If you were coming from the Dockyard it is located about 1.5 miles before Horseshoe Bay. Just tell the bus driver where you want to get off. Other site of interest would be Gibbs Lighthouse which is located about half way between CB and HSB.

SBtS

Church Bay is located on the route #7 bus line. If you were coming from the Dockyard it is located about 1.5 miles before Horseshoe Bay. Just tell the bus driver where you want to get off. Other site of interest would be Gibbs Lighthouse which is located about half way between CB and HSB.

SBtS

Church Bay is on the south shore and it's a couple of stops before Horseshoe Bay. It tends to be rough so you must be careful. The beach is small but it's a beautiful area and not usually crowded.

Thank you both. Once getting off the bus is it pretty easy to find? Is it a long walk? We are going w/ our 5 children are the seas to rough for teens?

Thank you both. Once getting off the bus is it pretty easy to find? Is it a long walk? We are going w/ our 5 children are the seas to rough for teens?

The bus will drop you off a short distance from the beach. Then you just walk down some stairs to the beach. You can't miss it.

I don’t snorkel, so here is what those more knowledgeable than I have to say -

This is what CC member Paul from Maryland wrote about CB on 2/12/11: ...Church Bay is a south shore beach with good snorkeling but pretty stiff currents and a treacherous rocky bottom…..

CC member Sousak78 had this to write about CB on 1/18/11: ….The beach itself is quite small and isn't a nice beach for laying on since it's usually littered with seaweed and debris but you can see some cool things by exploring the tide pools! I'd only recommend snorkelling there if you are a strong swimmer…

It is located a shore walk from South Rd.

SBtS

I know Sousak is a native but I disagree with her on the condition of the beach. I don't think it is always littered and there is enough area for sunning........at least more than Tobacco Bay, but I do agree with her about needing to be a strong swimmer.;):)

db1d3cc8.jpg

Here are the stairs going down.

e9a9f158.jpg

Wow, nice pics iheart - I'll have to be honest, I've never seen Church Bay look that clean! Unfortunately, every time I go, there's stuff all over the beach. Odds are, I always manage to pick a day the beach hasn't been raked - I have that sort of luck! :D Come to think of it, I always go when the ships aren't in! Note to self - go to Church Bay when the ships are here - LOL.

Please, don't get me wrong everyone, Church Bay is a nice beach and even when there is stuff washed up on the beach, there are some neat things to be found and it has some of the best snorkeling.

I always found Church Bay to be too rough for me to swim at but always had a great time exploring the little tide pools while my companions snorkeled. You can get some great shells there too. Just don't take the West Indian Top Shells (they're black and white and conical-shaped) - their collection is forbidden in Bermuda.

Archived