Airline Miles reimbursement

Does anyone know if airline miles used for flights to the cruise port city are reimbursed through any travel insurance? We are ready to purchase the insurance and want to see if any company is more likely to reimburse the miles if actual cash was not used to pay for the flights. I know I read something about that being covered a while back, but can't seem to find that post now.

If you cancel your flight, you can have the miles returned to your account. I have had Travelguard reimburse me for the redeposit fee charged by the airline ($150 for each person), for a cancelled trip. In this scenerio, your only loss would be the redeposit fee.

The various insurers handle it in generally three different ways:

1) Some will not cover any costs to re-bank the miles into your FF account (CSA and others)

2) Some will cover the cost of re-banking those miles as long as you include that cost in your insured amount. The following is from TravelSafe:

"Trip Cancellation: Benefits will be paid, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, to cover You for the unused non-refundable prepaid expenses for Travel Arrangements, including up to $150 for the cost of airline-imposed fees to rebank frequent flyer miles for air flights to join Your Trip when You are prevented from taking Your Trip due to: . . . "

3) Some will cover the cost to re-bank your FF miles under some specific circumstances. The following is from Travelex:

"If the Travel Supplier cancels Your Covered Trip, You are covered up to $200 for the reissue fee charged by the airline for the tickets or up to $200 for the cost charged by the airline to retain Your frequent flyer miles if You had used them to purchase the airline ticket in conjunction with this Covered Trip. You must have covered the entire cost of the Covered Trip including the airfare." In other words, if you get sick and cancel your cruise this would not apply.

No insurer that I'm familiar with will reimburse you for some dollar "value" that you might assign to tickets obtained with FF miles or any other awards points or coupons.

No insurer that I'm familiar with will reimburse you for some dollar "value" that you might assign to tickets obtained with FF miles or any other awards points or coupons.

Correct, because they have no dollar value.

Archived