Bermuda's Railway Trail

EmTeeNesters

Hi EmTee,

The Railway Trail is an excellent walk, and you get to see a lot of "behind the scenes" views of Bermuda that you wouldn't normally see.

If you're going to be docked in Dockyard at the West End, then the Somerset stretches of the trail are what you want:

http://www.bermudarailway.net/now/trailtour/trailtour/section9.html

Have Fun!

DH and I are wanting to do this, too. After we end the walk - either at the bridge or the station (depending on where we start), will we be able to catch a bus back to the Dockyards, or are we within walking distance of the ship at that point?

Our plan is to see the lighthouse, get the bus to Som. Bridge, and start the walk. How far toward the Dockyards can we go?

Thanks,

Debbie

If you do the Somerset stretch of the trail and start at Somerset Bridge and walk northward (toward the Dockyard), when you have completed it, it is about 3 miles still to go to the wharf at the Dockyard. I would suggest taking an outbound route #7 or #8 bus back there.

SBtS

If you do the Somerset stretch of the trail and start at Somerset Bridge and walk northward (toward the Dockyard), when you have completed it, it is about 3 miles still to go to the wharf at the Dockyard. I would suggest taking an outbound route #7 or #8 bus back there.

SBtS

Definite plan for our last day - thanks!

Hi EmTee,

Yes, cycles (or push-bikes as we call them) are a brilliant way to do the trail.

Last time I was up at Dockyard they were available for rent at one of the Cycle Liveries.

Have Fun!

Having my own push bike I have often caught a ferry out to Dockyard and cycled back (I live in Devonshire). From your point of view, the best bit of the trail is from the start in Somerset Village to where it goes down steps to cross the driveway to the Fairmont Southampton Princess Hotel - beyond this it's much more difficult on a bike as you must push it down and up gullies where there used to be bridges. Don't forget that you must then cycle back, you can't take bikes on buses here.

Non-stop, the round trip would be perhaps three hours (some of it's bumpy, you can't cycle too fast) so it'd be a generous half day trip with stops for photos and sightseeing. Take big water bottles, there are no water sources along the trail.

A fun side trip on the way back is to stay on Somerset Road after crossing Somerset Bridge (the smallest drawbridge in the world), then go left onto West Side Road and follow the coast around to Mangrove Bay Road which puts you back on the road to Watford Bridge and Dockyard. Stop and look at the beaches around Somerset Long Bay - an interesting and slightly out-of-the-way bit of Bermuda. Then you will pass through Somerset Village where there is The Somerset Country Squire on your left (a source of liquid refreshment and restrooms) and the Somerset Pharmacy on your right (a source of non-alcoholic refreshments).

The only restrooms along the way that I know of are at the ferry stop at Watford Bridge and at Somerset Long Bay beach but there are lots of bushes. Or you could turn around before you get to the Southampton Princess and go up to Gibbs Hill lighthouse, that's worth a visit, and there's probably restrooms there.

This is a useful map:

http://www.bermudayellowpages.bm/map

• 1 month later...

Archived