Epic Open Air Balcony Rooms

texas greeneyes

there are uncovered balconies on Epic. I put together a list of all of them plus some pictures. The link is in my signature

Sorry for hijacking here - but since you know the most about the balconies .... we have an AFT on deck 11 on Epic. I think we have a corner room (room 11314). Anyway, will we be able to sit out there, or do you think it will be too windy?

Thanks!!!

Sorry for hijacking here - but since you know the most about the balconies .... we have an AFT on deck 11 on Epic. I think we have a corner room (room 11314). Anyway, will we be able to sit out there, or do you think it will be too windy?

Thanks!!!

We were in a forward, starboard mini suite (on the first bump out on the ship) and it was just fine. I know you are referring to a totally different area but it was never too windy to sit on the balcony - they are actually quite comfortable, day or night:D

Enjoy your cruise!

OP, the open balconies will be great if you love sun.

We are booked on the Epic in balcony room #8116. When I spoke to a rep at NCL he said he thought it was semi covered....I'm wondering now about this now, as well as you mentioned the life boats below....I really hope they won't be. In your experience do you know what I can expect in this cabin? Also, I had hoped the bed would be next to the balcony door, but any pics that I have looked at don't appear this way.

Any help or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated. This is our first cruise and we are so excited!!

Thanks!!!

I had AFT corner 12310, right above what will be your cabin. There were two windy sea days and we didn't notice the wind while we were on our balcony. The wind was blowing from the side. Enjoy!

We are booked on the Epic in balcony room #8116. When I spoke to a rep at NCL he said he thought it was semi covered....I'm wondering now about this now, as well as you mentioned the life boats below....I really hope they won't be. In your experience do you know what I can expect in this cabin? Also, I had hoped the bed would be next to the balcony door, but any pics that I have looked at don't appear this way.

Any help or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated. This is our first cruise and we are so excited!!

The balcony of 8116 is fully covered by 9190 above you. Your room is just barely in front of the rear set of lifeboats at midship. There is some machinery right below your balcony, but I can't tell from pictures exactly what it is. Just to the left of you will be a lifeboat.

Your room layout is the bed next to the balcony door, which is generally preferred. You can see this in deck plans because that's where the largest "bulge" in the room is.

Here are some dragable deck plans that will show you how everything lines up. There's also info on covered balconies in my signature section. You will see that your room is not in the list of partially covered or uncovered balconies.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/dragit2.php?ship=Norwegian%20Epic

EDIT: Here is a really BIG picture that shows where your room is. Find the light post at the bottom of the picture in front of the building. The top of the post (the light) sits on the divider between 8114 on the left, and 8116 (your room) on the right (the partially covered one on the left is 8110). You're basically the third fully covered room from the left on the "hump". Make sense? You can see that you have all kinds of stuff under you, like winches and such, including some kind of small orange boat attached to a hoist.

http://images59.fotki.com/v1594/fileRYc9/40b49/7/649277/9047519/776.jpg

Have a good trip

People use the balcony all the time for that reason. Family member is in the shower. Need to go..... Had too much to drink... at the point its basically water any ways.

Ever live in an apartment building? people do it all the time.

People use the balcony all the time for that reason. Family member is in the shower. Need to go..... Had too much to drink... at the point its basically water any ways.

Ever live in an apartment building? people do it all the time.

Yikes. Yes, I've lived in an apartment building. No, I've never seen anyone pee off the balcony (or a ship balcony). Do you know how hard that would be on a ship with a full plexiglass railing? Maybe that's why there's an occasional "man overboard" reported. They climb on a chair drunk to pee. :p

There are public bathrooms all over a ship. I can't fathom someone doing what you're suggesting

• 4 weeks later...
we will be in Epic from 13-20 May'12. Which is a better level for balcony category BD - 8 or 12? Balcony 12067 had been assigned to us.

depends on what you like. I would prefer 12 any day. 12067 is a great room. Near the front elevators with a slightly larger than average balcony.

Hi Mike, we just booked one of the larger balconies on the 12th deck way up near the front (Cat B6/ 12014). We're now looking at some outside photos we took when we sailed in 2010 on the Epic, and we think that this cabin is one of those closed in looking ones with the big square opening on the balcony. If this is so, can you tell us the pros and cons of this type of balcony? For instance, do you have to stand up to look out? Any info you can give us would be great.

thanks,

Nancy & Henry

Hi Mike, we just booked one of the larger balconies on the 12th deck way up near the front (Cat B6/ 12014). We're now looking at some outside photos we took when we sailed in 2010 on the Epic, and we think that this cabin is one of those closed in looking ones with the big square opening on the balcony. If this is so, can you tell us the pros and cons of this type of balcony? For instance, do you have to stand up to look out? Any info you can give us would be great.

thanks,

Nancy & Henry

Nancy -

That is a "hull balcony" room, like you suspected. I guess the good news is that you have more privacy, but the con is that you're going to have an obstructed view from inside your room. Normally with the glass railings you get more light and a better view, but this will be more restrictive. You can read more about these balconies in this post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1522322

Last year we were in 8027 which has an uncovered balcony. It was really not an issue except every morning we woke up to some cigarette butts or food on the balcony floor from people above throwing overboard.

Gross :(

Archived