Oasis - What are your "Must Dos"

I started a notebook when I joined CC and have a plethora of tips. The advice here is hands down the best I've received soooo...

What are your "must dos" and why? I am a bit overwhelmed trying to narrow it all down. Between shows, excursions and things I don't want to miss ON the ship. We'll be on the Eastern Carribean September 8th!!

TIA :)

Oasis offers many different options for many different people. Some things that might be must do's for others may not be for you.

Do you like to be entertained at night and see shows? Then don't miss the Broadway production of Hairspray in the Opal Theater. Other "must see" shows are Come Fly with Me, Oasis of Dreams in the Aqua Theater and if you like to laugh check out the comedy shows. Also don't forget to see the incredible ice skating show Frozen in Time!

If you like adventure, Oasis has lots to keep you busy. Try your skills on one of two rock climbing walls, or surf the seas on the Flowrider. There is also a zip line over Boardwalk, free ice skating in Studio B, basketball court, pink pong tables and mini golf course.

Want something fun but not too thrilling? Take a ride on the Rising Tide Bar which slowly goes from the Royal Promenade to Central Park and back. Also take a spin on the Carousel on Boardwalk.

If you like relaxing and fun in the sun Oasis offers 4 pools, a H2O Kids Zone, Adults only Solarium and many hot tubs and whirlpools including 2 that hang over the edge of the ship.

The dining options onboard Oasis can seem overwhelming, but you can be sure there is something to please everyone. Enjoy your cruise!

You have to get a roast beef sandwich (or two, or three) at the Park Cafe. These are just wonderful!

------------

Sea ya!

Hobiecat01

Ron and Lee

Canton, GA (a NW sub of Atlanta, GA)

Proud Emerald Crown & Anchor Members

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." - Ben Franklin

73 Days at sea!

1. Have a corn dog and watch the diving show.

2. If you like sushi, eat at Izumi.

3. Try the zip line, rock wall and flow rider.

4. Play a round of mini golf on the windiest night of the cruise.

5. If you have a balcony, grab some salads and sandwiches from Park Cafe and take them to your balcony and have a great snack while watching folks run back to the ship.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!

Hang out in the adult solarium. Its amazing! I wish I was there right this minute. There is so much to see and do, just go slow and take it all in.

All of the shows are great. Quest was funny! ENJOY!!!!!

If you don't have a plan for St. Thomas, go on a semi-private yacht charter. OMG, best vacation day of my life! There are many to choose from and run about 100.00 pp/pd including drinks, lunch, snorkeling supplies. Email me if you want details.

kaykels@aol.com

Hang out in the adult solarium. Its amazing! I wish I was there right this minute. There is so much to see and do, just go slow and take it all in. All of the shows are great. Quest was funny! ENJOY!!!!!

If you don't have a plan for St. Thomas, go on a semi-private yacht charter. OMG, best vacation day of my life! There are many to choose from and run about 100.00 pp/pd including drinks, lunch, snorkeling supplies. Email me if you want details.

kaykels@aol.com

We planned on spending a lot of time in the Solarium! Thanks for the charter info. I am still trying make some sort of plan for port days lol. We aren't sit on the beach kind of people, so a charter is appealing!

1. Have a corn dog and watch the diving show.

2. If you like sushi, eat at Izumi.

3. Try the zip line, rock wall and flow rider.

4. Play a round of mini golf on the windiest night of the cruise.

5. If you have a balcony, grab some salads and sandwiches from Park Cafe and take them to your balcony and have a great snack while watching folks run back to the ship.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!

We LOVE Sushi!! I've read mixed reviews on Izumi, but some of my favorite Disney restaurants are ones that don't get great reviews, so I am still looking forward to trying it. I love people watching, so the balcony idea is great lol!

In addition to all the above.........................

1-Make it a point to eat in every specialty restaurant (skip the really fancy one as it is not worth it... IHO)

2. Get up early one day and watch a sunrise..........AMAZING!!!

3. Stay onboard during one of the port days and enjoy the quite pool.

4. Take an afternoon nap, go to bed early one or two nights stay up late one or two nights.

5. Buy something silly and beautiful from the Britto Gallery.....It will remind you of your trip.

6. Walk/Run/jog every morning for one hour on the great jogging trail on deck four...............You'll be able to eat and feel good about everything.

7. Watch the stars and the Ocean...On the Oasis/allure we tend to forget to look up at the sky and out at the water!

8. Book your next cruise.

For instance we skipped the rock wall, ( every RCL ship has one now) but didn't miss the flow rider ( this was our first Flowrider ship) or zip line.

We rode the carousel, but never went to the regular pools ( we did spend lots of time in the Solarium)

We did the Rising Tide Bar, but never made it into Boleros ( which we love on Voyager class ships)

We ate at the Park Cafe and Solarium cafe frequently, but never made it to the Promenade cafe and only ate once in the WJ.

We attended all of the shows, especially the Aquatheater shows, but skipped most of the pool contests.

We skipped the gym after one visit, because honestly there was so much to do on the ship and we felt we wanted to do the stuff we couldn't do at home or on another ship...really, honestly that's the ONLY reason we skipped it.:p

Whatever you decide...have a ball!

If they have an artwork tour, and you're interested in art, I would recommend it. I learned alot about the paintings, sculptures, etc., on board and they did not try to sell us anything!

The horticulturalist tour was also very interesting--it was a tour of Central Park, and was likewise informative. Central Park in general was one of my favorite spaces on board, and was often quiet in the late evening, or lovely for music before dinner.

If you opt for a private sailing excursion in St. Thomas, choose carefully. We didn't like ours and hope to find a better one next time. See my posts on the St. Thomas board for more information about the one we weren't pleased with.

If you want the best selection of donuts from the shop on the boardwalk, go early. And regular coffee is free there all the time--great for an early cup away from the crowds.

Have fun!

I started a notebook when I joined CC and have a plethora of tips. The advice here is hands down the best I've received soooo...

What are your "must dos" and why? I am a bit overwhelmed trying to narrow it all down. Between shows, excursions and things I don't want to miss ON the ship. We'll be on the Eastern Carribean September 8th!!

TIA :)

You MUST go twice so you don't have to worry about doing it all in one week. - Only partially kidding. Do what you can and enjoy yourself.

If they have an artwork tour, and you're interested in art, I would recommend it. I learned alot about the paintings, sculptures, etc., on board and they did not try to sell us anything!

!

What ship did you do that on? I was thinking of doing this on Allure if its offered. While I consider myself pretty blue collar and not that interested in Art, I found this tour was very enjoyable when they did it on Jewel and it was a nice way to spend an hour or so on a sea day.

Do it all!!

DO NOT MISS:

- aqua show

- the quest

- comedians (late night)

- roast beef sandwiches in the central park cafe!

- sailaway from an aft deck

- the solarium

- cantilevered whirpools

- sushi at izumi.. window seat at sunset

- room service on your balcony while pulling into port

YOU SHOULD TRY TO DO:

-lunch at johnny rocket's

-breakfast in the MDR

-ride the carousel

- flow rider and rock wall (if you're into it)

- lunch at the wipe out cafe while chilling on the lido

AVOID:

- the zip line if you aren't into it.. it's a 45 minute wait for a 20 second zip line. Good times to go are right when they open, apparently. Pack gym shoes.

- breakfast at johnny rocket's while sitting outside (sit inside and you'll get better service)

- the seafood shack - greasy, greasy, greasy! horrible service

- formal pictures in front of the MDR (head to Central Park instead)

- waiting til the last minute to book the shows and restaurants you want to see. Also try and get to the parades early.

Have a blast!

I was Allure last week and my wife and watched the Aqua show from the back balcony on deck 12, it was amaizing! and we were all alone up there for the entire show. It is really cool because you can see everything that goes on below the water from up there. You may want to see the show from the regular seats first then catch it on deck 12 to see all the other stuff going on.

Beef on weck from Park Cafe is also very very good, skip the mustard and get harseradish like it was meant to be. This is coming from a guy that grew up on the stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_on_weck_sandwich

AVOID:

- the zip line if you aren't into it.. it's a 45 minute wait for a 20 second zip line. Good times to go are right when they open, apparently. Pack gym shoes.

Have a blast!

I'll concur that when they open and anytime the first day the lines are considerably less. We waited 30 minutes on one sea day. While it is a short ride, its a fun process and you can watch others and the Flowrider. The time went fast.

2. Get up early one day and watch a sunrise..........AMAZING!!!

Can't wait!

3. Stay onboard during one of the port days and enjoy the quite pool.

Great idea. There's really nothing we "have" to do in Jamaica, so we had considered staying onboard.

5. Buy something silly and beautiful from the Britto Gallery.....It will remind you of your trip.

LOVE this idea!

If you want the best selection of donuts from the shop on the boardwalk, go early. And regular coffee is free there all the time--great for an early cup away from the crowds.

Great tip! Thanks! I love my coffee. Is it good?

You MUST go twice so you don't have to worry about doing it all in one week. - Only partially kidding. Do what you can and enjoy yourself.

It's our first, and I have a feeling we'll be hooked ;)

DO NOT MISS:

- cantilevered whirpools

- room service on your balcony while pulling into port

Do the whirlpools stay crowded? I would assume they do....

This may be a stupid question lol, but how long does it take to dock?

AVOID:

- the seafood shack - greasy, greasy, greasy! horrible service

- formal pictures in front of the MDR (head to Central Park instead)

So glad you told me this. We were going to eat here and we HATE greasy food. Properly fried food isn't greasy...or soggy!

Great tip on the pics! Thanks!

Only the ones nearest the pool during the day time. At night when we prefer to use them before bed they are empty.

Try the park cafe for breakfast, if you time it right its not crowded and they have a lovely selection of hot and cold items, also, the tutti salad bar in the MDR on sea days is wonderful and quite relaxing, from what I recall we ate in the windjammer just a couple of times as there are so many other options.

This may be a stupid question lol, but how long does it take to dock?

So glad you told me this. We were going to eat here and we HATE greasy food. Properly fried food isn't greasy...or soggy!

Great tip on the pics! Thanks!

It really depends on the time of day and which side. There are 2 on each side as you make your way to the Soelarium. I noticed that the ones on the right side were always packed and the ones on the left were fairly empty. Do note that they do close these for cleanings during port days or formal night. We skipped formal night #2 and wanted to head to these and they were all being cleaned.

Yeah, we were really disappointed in the seafood shack!

What ship did you do that on? I was thinking of doing this on Allure if its offered. While I consider myself pretty blue collar and not that interested in Art, I found this tour was very enjoyable when they did it on Jewel and it was a nice way to spend an hour or so on a sea day.

We did the art tour on Oasis in January 2011. They brought us through several areas of the ship and discussed a selection of the more than 10,000 artworks. Especially interesting was the bronze tree on the promenade, which, among other things, acts as a counterweight to the rising tide bar!

Archived