Anytime dining on Conquest is a major epic FAILURE

I'll type more when I get back from this cruise. It is unacceptable to wait 25 minutes to get a beeper to wait another 25 mins.

It was HOT, DH had sweat running down his face (jacket and polo shirt on) most people were grumpy while in line.

The staff were clearly overwhelmed, and with so many people complaining,

They seemed apathetic and just tuned the comPlaints out. (not that I blame them).

We are going to try and switch to late seating tomorrow-- but I doubt that will happen.

we just got off the Conquest a couple weeks ago.. Had the anytime dining and never had a problem at all.. One night we got the beeper and waited about 10 minutes.. Just sat in the lounge outside the door and listened to music. We went most nights between 6:45 and 7:00 because we wanted to be there for the entertainment..

Sorry you had a problem.. Maybe it is just this one night.. Why was it so hot that sweat was dripping??

7:15, which I realize is high time.

I took the kids to the lido and they ate and are now at the circle C party. DH and I are going to try the YTD again at 9.

Ok... Back to my cruise!

Oh, we zipped down the Mississippi and out west pass and we have been having about 8 ft. Seas today-- not bad. Sunday night was more like we guess 15-20 feet right in the gulf from the river.

we just got off the Conquest a couple weeks ago.. Had the anytime dining and never had a problem at all.. One night we got the beeper and waited about 10 minutes.. Just sat in the lounge outside the door and listened to music. We went most nights between 6:45 and 7:00 because we wanted to be there for the entertainment..

Sorry you had a problem.. Maybe it is just this one night.. Why was it so hot that sweat was dripping??

I don't know why it is so hot-- seemed to be hot this cruise-- thought the room ac was broken. Possibly because it is sooo humid outside? We were on deck 3 lobby by the backside of the lobby bar.

If you have to show up (or not show up) at a certain time to not have to wait an hour, what is the point of any time dining?

Hello. I think the point is if you show up at 6.30 when a lot of others show up....lines can happen. You can only stuff so much sausage into a grinder.

Have done ATD for our cruises and only had to wait a few mins once. Never got a pager thing.

Then again....we would avoid the high traffic times and thus the log jams. Either no later than 6pm or 7pm or later.

Hope you have better luck next time.

If you have to show up (or not show up) at a certain time to not have to wait an hour, what is the point of any time dining?

you only have so many seats available for anytime dining. If majority all show up between a 15 minutes period (say 7pm and 7:15 there will be a huge wait.

For one-- anytime dining room opens at 5:45 and its full by 6:30

allow at least 90 minutes for dining-- that means those coming at 7:15 will need to wait til those tables are empty and turned over.

I think showing up at 8pm will be a better chance then going at 7:15.

Plain ole' math applies here. X-number of tables, Y-number of diners showing up at the most popular times = Z (you must relax and wait your turn). Notice that screaming, cursing, or complaining to staff will not cause the MDR to defy physics and suddenly expand to produce more empty tables.

We experienced the exact problem on Freedom last year. It honestly didn't matter what time you went there was at least a 15 minute line to get a beeper and then the 20 minute or more beeper line UNLESS you went after 8:15, which means just have late dining! :)

We switched to late after the second night and were much happier. ATD may work better on some ships or even from cruise to cruise but this particular cruise it was a not running well. We decided it was NOT for us, your mileage may vary. I don't go at 7:15 only to be told I have to wait 40 minutes, that's NOT anytime...

We switched to late after the second night and were much happier. ATD may work better on some ships or even from cruise to cruise but this particular cruise it was a not running well. We decided it was NOT for us, your mileage may vary.

I do have to wonder whether ATD is worth the potential aggravation for diners and crew. It throws a wrench into what needs to be a well-oiled machine -- a system in which they're trying to feed thousands of people in the space of four hours.

Ok. DH and I went back at 9 and were seated immediately. The people at the table behind us got their beepers around 7:30 so I think the crush of people back logged the whole process.

The servers were amazingly efficient and this definitely is not a problem with them. However, I was thinking all dinner about how I feel badly for them because they are working so hard-- as hard as the can, but the model

Doesn't work efficiently at all.

I also found the atmosphere to be more noisy, chaotic and stressful

Than regular dining.

I couldn't be happier with how they handle gluten free issues-- they excel here.

We are going to keep ATD but not go until 8:45 for the rest of the nights.

Again, the servers were working very very hard and were super efficient.

I was quite surprised to see ATD wait listed for my cruise on Magic. My experience with Carnival is limited, it's only my second cruise with y'all. Princess is the exact opposite. ATD is always available.

We had anytime on the Conquest twice, ate around 6:30 and never waited more than about 2 min..It was excellent..

Lets see, Magic, Glory, Splendor, Conquest, Freedom, Valor, Legend...

Had ATD on these that I can remember and got a beeper one time, and while we were walking away it beeped. I like to eat at 6-6:30 pm. At 7 PM, the seating is slower. As ATD becomes more popular, Carnival has to increase the capacity. We have noticed that some "demographics" seem to like getting in line for things, so if dinner starts at 5:30, there will be a line, as if someone said, hey they are short of food, better get ya some. As some have noted, if everyone decides to eat in a 15 minute window, there will be delays, but in that case, go enjoy yourselves somewhere else and come back later.

ATD means much more relaxed port days, get back when ship leaves, shower, change, have a nice relaxing supper and discuss the day and plans for the next. Late seating is too late for me.

Wow, major epic failure. Where was the line backed up to that you waited 25 minutes just to get the beeper?? There is no need to wait until 8:45 unless that is what you choose. Maybe just go by 6:30 or wait until after 7:30 (unless of course you walk up and there isn't a 25 minute line).

Have a spectacular cruise!

we are doing YTD on the Pride and I hope it isnt too bad there. I guess it is just hit and miss

If you plan on dining a little late, it definitely works out far better (or a little early would work too I guess)

My only disappointment with ATD was tables for two are not spaced far enough apart and you are basically a table for 6....as far as service, I thought it was fine.

For us, there was no wait when I cruised with just my DH and it was only the two of us. Then, we cruised as a group of 6 and did experience waits (with a beeper) but they were not long and we didn't mind at all.

If you are the type that does line up outside the dining room (for traditional dining) because you want to eat 'NOW'...then ATD may be too big a risk because there is no guarantee of being seated immediately.

At first, I wasn't impressed with it. I think the CCL ships are not set up for it so it doesn't go as smoothly as Freestyle on NCL...however, the freedom that ATD offers is worth the small inconveniences for the most part.

jmo.

We experienced the exact problem on Freedom last year. It honestly didn't matter what time you went there was at least a 15 minute line to get a beeper and then the 20 minute or more beeper line UNLESS you went after 8:15, which means just have late dining!

It's not difficult to imagine a long line for a beeper because on CCL ships there is ALWAYS a long line to get into dining room for traditional seating (it's a total joke...people act as if they haven't had food for a week)

We usually sit at the bar with a pre-dinner drink and watch people standing in line.....

we are doing YTD on the Pride and I hope it isnt too bad there. I guess it is just hit and miss

We were on the Pride in May, party of 3, and never waited more than 5 minutes for a table. Never had to get the beeper. We went between 6 and 7 each night.

Lets see, Magic, Glory, Splendor, Conquest, Freedom, Valor, Legend...

Had ATD on these that I can remember and got a beeper one time, and while we were walking away it beeped. I like to eat at 6-6:30 pm. At 7 PM, the seating is slower. As ATD becomes more popular, Carnival has to increase the capacity. We have noticed that some "demographics" seem to like getting in line for things, so if dinner starts at 5:30, there will be a line, as if someone said, hey they are short of food, better get ya some. As some have noted, if everyone decides to eat in a 15 minute window, there will be delays, but in that case, go enjoy yourselves somewhere else and come back later.

ATD means much more relaxed port days, get back when ship leaves, shower, change, have a nice relaxing supper and discuss the day and plans for the next. Late seating is too late for me.

I kinda feel the same way. We've always done early dining and I've always felt it was too early. Late dining seems too late so we're gonna try any time dining and try to get there around 6 or 6:30ish and hope there won't be lines too long.

We only had to wait on the elegant night. Fortunately I found my 85-year-old mother-in-law a seat so she did not have to stand and wait in line. All the other nights, we got seated almost right away.

7:15, which I realize is high time.

I took the kids to the lido and they ate and are now at the circle C party. DH and I are going to try the YTD again at 9.

Ok... Back to my cruise!

Oh, we zipped down the Mississippi and out west pass and we have been having about 8 ft. Seas today-- not bad. Sunday night was more like we guess 15-20 feet right in the gulf from the river.

i love how people try to defend any time dining delays with a specific time, like "don't go during that "high" period".

huh?

Archived