Compare Cunard prices around the world

fantasy51

We often grumble a bit on this forum about the price of cruises in various countries. Having just received an email from an American friend today, showing a special Cunard offer over there, I thought it could be fun to watch the prices for one cruise, over time and over different countries. If it appeals to you, please add in prices as you find them, just for this particular cruise. (Remember that ONE cruise does not make a good statistical sample and we cannot necessarily generalise from this.)

The cruise: Q327N - Greek Isles and Holy Land Explorer

The ship: Queen Elizabeth

The dates: 9 November for 12 days.

UK Vantage fares (all that are on offer at this date)

Queens Grill Suite (Q6) £3,689

Princess Grill Suite (P2) £3,169

Balcony (CA - obstructed) £1,749

Oceanview (FA - obstructed) £1,559

Inside (IC) £1,369

I have looked at cruise only fares, in order to compare with US offer.

Booking a Vantage fare means some OBC but I am not sure how much.

US Early booking prices per person

Queens Grill Suite (Q6) $7,598

Princess Grill Suite (P2) $5,598

Balcony (CA - obstructed) $2,798

Oceanview (FA -obstructed) $2,198

Inside (IC) $1,898

Special promotion (sent out by Cunard email, book by 31 May)

Queens Grill Suite (Q6) $6,189

Princess Grill Suite (P2) $4,589

Balcony (CA - obstructed) $1,399

Oceanview (FA -obstructed) $1,199

Inside (IC) $999

This promotion includes $400 OBC per stateroom, free gratuities for 2 people, plus up to $400 off airfare (booked through Cunard, based on 2 people in the room). Restrictions state that these fares do not apply to singles or third/fourth-berth passengers. (Interesting in view of Cunard's recent stated change of policy.)

I can certainly see some interesting differences right away!

Here are the prices in Canadian dollars on the website today:

Queen's Grill C$6,749 (US$6,542)

Princess Grill C$4,949 (US$4,798)

Club Balcony C$3,999 (US$3,877)

Balcony C$2,429 (US$2,355)

Oceanview C$1,889 (US$1,831)

Inside C$1,599 (US$1,550)

I have added the US$ equivalent in brackets at today's rate on xe.com to help readers make a comparison.

I haven't received received any e-mail from Cunard offering special rates in Canada before May 31.

Other board members from Ontario should know that you can book at US prices in Ontario and pay in US dollars at your travel agency. But if you do so your booking won't be insured through the Province's travel industry compensation fund. Since it seems unlikely Carnival Corp will go bankrupt soon that's not much of a risk.

This could be a very interesting thread. I hope people will post the price of this cruise in other countries and that we can start to compare prices of other voyages.

That is very interesting SEFlyer. We can see differences already.

I will repost my UK prices with US equivalents.

Queens Grill Suite (Q6) £3,689 ($5,580)

Princess Grill Suite (P2) £3,169 ($4,794)

Balcony (CA - obstructed) £1,749 ($2,646)

Oceanview (FA - obstructed) £1,559 ($2,358)

Inside (IC) £1,369 ($2,070)

It seems that the higher level cabins for this cruise are cheapest in the UK but the lower level cabins are cheapest in Canada. In fact, Canadian fares are cheaper generally than USA fares.

It seems that the higher level cabins for this cruise are cheapest in the UK but the lower level cabins are cheapest in Canada. In fact, Canadian fares are cheaper generally than USA fares.

Fantasy:

Do you just want the offers that Cunard sends out or would you be interested in what a travel agency also offers? (of course, the agency

could not be named re: rules of CC).

Very interesting thread, thanks for posting.

best regards,

seasidegal

Fantasy:

Do you just want the offers that Cunard sends out or would you be interested in what a travel agency also offers? (of course, the agency

could not be named re: rules of CC).

I'm not sure. I'm just going with this as it happens. I wonder if it would be best to stick with Cunard prices or else we might have too many to compare? So far I've never found a travel agency that has got me better Cunard deals than I have found on their site or through their own promotions, but you may have had a different experience. :confused:

I'm glad others are finding this interesting. I like actually having numbers in front of me, rather than just thinking cruises are cheaper in another country. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure. I'm just going with this as it happens. I wonder if it would be best to stick with Cunard prices or else we might have too many to compare? So far I've never found a travel agency that has got me better Cunard deals than I have found on their site or through their own promotions, but you may have had a different experience. :confused:

I'm glad others are finding this interesting. I like actually having numbers in front of me, rather than just thinking cruises are cheaper in another country. :rolleyes:

Fantasy,

Thanks. Just wanted to know for sure before posting.

I did get a better deal with an agency but, that is not always the case.

best regards,

seasidegal

Very interesting. Although I know Cunard does not use any where close to the current exchange rate, the Q6 is more than $2000 more in the US (at today's rate) than the Vantage fare shown. At the same time, the interior cabin is cheaper in the US than in the UK.

Hopefully, we can get some Australian figures as well.

In a related topic, I was getting Cunard brochures at least monthly, probably even more frequently. Several months ago, we booked a great fare from one of those brochures, and since then we've hardly received any brochures. Is that normal? The reason I ask is that I book some of our vacations almost a year in advance and therefore sometimes have 2-3 trips reserved, so I would contemplate making another booking though I have one on the books.

I think they miss an opportunity, since other cruise lines keep sending me their discounted offers.

In a related topic, I was getting Cunard brochures at least monthly, probably even more frequently. Several months ago, we booked a great fare from one of those brochures, and since then we've hardly received any brochures. Is that normal? The reason I ask is that I book some of our vacations almost a year in advance and therefore sometimes have 2-3 trips reserved, so I would contemplate making another booking though I have one on the books.

I think they miss an opportunity, since other cruise lines keep sending me their discounted offers.

I still get brochures and lots of e-mails.

And here are the $AU prices from the Cunard website (the cheapest in each cabin category and using XE for conversion:

Queens Grill Suite $7169 ($US6925)

Princess Grill Suite $6129 ($US5021)

Balcony (obstructed) $4219 ($US3989)

Oceanview (obstructed) $2639 ($US2949)

Inside $1989 ($US1921)

Looks like Australians pay a much higher rate for higher category cabins.

Australian prices include all taxes and fees (but not gratuities) - Are they included for the US prices?

Hi,

I would like to contribute to this interesting initiative with booking conditions of the German market, which differs from those of anglophone countries.

Above all, it is not possible to book with Cunard directly, but use travel agencies instead, so here are the figures of one of them, although this is not what was requested - still it might be interesting to know. The prices are per person and have been converted using today's exchange rate:

Interior EUR 1.299,- USD 1.679,86 GBP 1.110,54

Ocean view 1.499,- 1.938,50 1.289,52

Balcony 1.599,- 2.067,82 1.367,01

Suite 3.298,- 4.264,95 2.819,52.

OBC is USD 125,- per cabin, GBP 82,63.

Now t would be interesting to know what the Austrian and Swiss markets look like.

Thanks and regards,

Cats2010 :)

Hi,

Interior EUR 1.299,- USD 1.679,86 GBP 1.110,54

Ocean view 1.499,- 1.938,50 1.289,52

Balcony 1.599,- 2.067,82 1.367,01

Suite 3.298,- 4.264,95 2.819,52.

OBC is USD 125,- per cabin, GBP 82,63.

Hi Cats2010. Thanks for the information. Is the suite price Princess or Queens? I assume at that relatively low price it's Princess.

One thing I find interesting are the names used for the same thing:

In the UK it's called a "Vantage Fare"

But in the US it's called a "Early Booking" or "Special Promotion".

The US terms describe exactly what they are; but the UK term is somewhat meaningless, flowerly marketing nonsense. I mean really, what does "vantage fare" actually mean ?

Hi Cats2010. Thanks for the information. Is the suite price Princess or Queens? I assume at that relatively low price it's Princess.

Hi Fantasy51,

This is all I have, unfortunately, but you are probably right - it must be Princess. Generally they quote the lowest price for any of the cabins in order to attract customers.

Regards,

This is all I have, unfortunately, but you are probably right - it must be Princess. Generally they quote the lowest price for any of the cabins in order to attract customers.

Cats2010, I am wondering if it might be Club Balcony. I don't know if that could be described as a suite? However, the price you have been given for the suite is so low that we will all want to book through Germany if it's Princess or Queen's Grill! There's a difference of a couple of thousand dollars. IGNORE THAT. I'VE JUST ADDED IT IN MY SPREADSHEET AND LOOKED PROPERLY AT THE FIGURES AND IT COMES UP AS THE CHEAPEST PRINCESS GRILL, BUT STILL IN AN ACCEPTABLE PRICE FRAME DIFFERENCE.

So far only one person has given me the Club Balcony price as a separate one. It didn't come up in either the UK or US promotions, which is interesting. I think I'd better add it to my spreadsheet as another point of comparison. :cool:

Cats2010, I am wondering if it might be Club Balcony. I don't know if that could be described as a suite? However, the price you have been given for the suite is so low that we will all want to book through Germany if it's Princess or Queen's Grill! There's a difference of a couple of thousand dollars. IGNORE THAT. I'VE JUST ADDED IT IN MY SPREADSHEET AND LOOKED PROPERLY AT THE FIGURES AND IT COMES UP AS THE CHEAPEST PRINCESS GRILL, BUT STILL IN AN ACCEPTABLE PRICE FRAME DIFFERENCE.

So far only one person has given me the Club Balcony price as a separate one. It didn't come up in either the UK or US promotions, which is interesting. I think I'd better add it to my spreadsheet as another point of comparison. :cool:

I can find out what exactly they mean. Normally, in accordance with German standards, a suite is a living with separate bed room and bath, it offers more comfort and is larger than an interior, ocean view or balcony cabin.

Oops, I just saw you latest comment. Anyway, here you are, one never knows what it's good for.

:)

One thing I find interesting are the names used for the same thing:

In the UK it's called a "Vantage Fare"

But in the US it's called a "Early Booking" or "Special Promotion".

The US terms describe exactly what they are; but the UK term is somewhat meaningless, flowerly marketing nonsense. I mean really, what does "vantage fare" actually mean ?

It could be that 'vantage', 'advantage' and 'disadvantage' belong to the same family, so they have common roots.

It could be that 'vantage', 'advantage' and 'disadvantage' belong to the same family, so they have common roots.

Sorry, I gave you the grammatical explanation for it and should have added that it obviously means a special price reduction.

Sorry, I gave you the grammatical explanation for it and should have added that it obviously means a special price reduction.

Cats, in the UK the Vantage fare is the normal one. (The Getaway fare is the special offer one.) I guess they coined the term because they want to convince us there are adVantages to buying that one. There are certainly advantages to Cunard - higher price for them. The advantages to the customer are the following (and there may be a few more):

- you can book early

- you get to choose your own room rather than accepting what's assigned

- you get OBC or free car parking at Southampton or free coach ride

- in the future those with Getaway fares will have to pay for shuttle buses while those with Vantage fares will get them free.

Well, I suppose I should be grateful they are not using fake Latin phrases that the health and beauty industry so love !!

But I am struggling to see the 'advantage' in booking a Vantage fare. For example, I was looking at a cruise in June and the Getaway price, for 2, was about £2,000 cheaper that the Vantage price (for a balcony). I think for £2000 I can manage to pay the £150 or so parking at Southampton and forego picking my cabin. And of course £2000 saved is £2000 more to spend at the bar !!!

Well, I suppose I should be grateful they are not using fake Latin phrases that the health and beauty industry so love !!

But I am struggling to see the 'advantage' in booking a Vantage fare. For example, I was looking at a cruise in June and the Getaway price, for 2, was about £2,000 cheaper that the Vantage price (for a balcony). I think for £2000 I can manage to pay the £150 or so parking at Southampton and forego picking my cabin. And of course £2000 saved is £2000 more to spend at the bar !!!

Cats, in the UK the Vantage fare is the normal one. (The Getaway fare is the special offer one.) I guess they coined the term because they want to convince us there are adVantages to buying that one. There are certainly advantages to Cunard - higher price for them. The advantages to the customer are the following (and there may be a few more):

- you can book early

- you get to choose your own room rather than accepting what's assigned

- you get OBC or free car parking at Southampton or free coach ride

- in the future those with Getaway fares will have to pay for shuttle buses while those with Vantage fares will get them free.

Thanks for the explanations, fantasy. To me it looks at the moment as if the UK passengers (compared to those booking in Germany) would receive better and more variety of service. The question is whether it's worth it, but this everyone has to decide for himself.

Comparison to the US and the German market could turn out to be more favourable for UK passengers, just because of the exchange rate in both cases. However, exchange rates fluctuate ....

On the other hand it might also depend on how each individual cruise is 'designed'; one would have to compare each cruise individually.

Best wishes,

Archived