Compare Cunard prices around the world

fantasy51

Fares have changed again (and gone up dramatically in some cases for WC members)

Gone up

IC $1329

FA $1519

CA $1709

Club $3799

Gone down

P2 $3799

Q6 $5604

No, that is not a typo. The Club and P2 are the same price.

Non-WC members pay

IC $1399

FA$1599

CA $1799

Club $3999

P2 $4899

Q6 $6499

It's my understanding for US residents that we once booked if a lower price is published our fare is adjusted accordingly. We have to contact our TA and monitor the fares ourselves, but still in the name of saving money all worth it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 1 month later...
It's my understanding for US residents that we once booked if a lower price is published our fare is adjusted accordingly. We have to contact our TA and monitor the fares ourselves, but still in the name of saving money all worth it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi NJ Traveler. In the US, there is no price adjustment after final payment. The fares on our up-coming cruise, booked many months ago, have recently been reduced: the category we booked is now more than 50% less that what we paid, but since it's past final payment date, there is no price adjustment for us. (That knocking sound is me banging my head against the wall!) S.

Hi NJ Traveler. In the US, there is no price adjustment after final payment. The fares on our up-coming cruise, booked many months ago, have recently been reduced: the category we booked is now more than 50% less that what we paid, but since it's past final payment date, there is no price adjustment for us. (That knocking sound is me banging my head against the wall!) S.

Salacia, we had this situation last fall when we had booked on QE for a Black Sea cruise. I had booked the lowest priced balcony cabin. After final payment Cunard dropped the prices across the board. But I got my travel agent to get Cunard to agree to a small additional payment, less than $100 each, and we upgraded to Britannia Club with its private dining room and great balcony cabin and we enjoyed great service and great value.

To answer NJ-Traveller, you can cancel and rebook in North America if they drop prices before you have made final payment. After final payment you are out of luck. But after final payment you might want to look at a small extra for a substantial upgrade as I just suggested to Salacia.

Prices as of 12 August

IC - $1399

FA - $1599

CA - $1799

AA - $3849

P2 - $4899

Q6 - $6499

all plus $51.27 in taxes and fees

Some major increases since June. In the higher categories the UK prices are much better. Interesting the AA category is sold out in UK but not US.:confused:

Salacia, we had this situation last fall when we had booked on QE for a Black Sea cruise. I had booked the lowest priced balcony cabin. After final payment Cunard dropped the prices across the board. But I got my travel agent to get Cunard to agree to a small additional payment, less than $100 each, and we upgraded to Britannia Club with its private dining room and great balcony cabin and we enjoyed great service and great value.

To answer NJ-Traveller, you can cancel and rebook in North America if they drop prices before you have made final payment. After final payment you are out of luck. But after final payment you might want to look at a small extra for a substantial upgrade as I just suggested to Salacia.

Hi SEFlyer. Thanks, I appreciate your advice. We booked a Cat BD balcony cabin for our upcoming cruise. The price we paid was more than what Britannia Club Category are currently priced, so it's not a guestion of paying more for better accommodation; we've paid more than enough already.

However, we did purchase Cunard Care insurance, and that provides for cancellation for any reason with a 75% refund of final payment. I could cancel, get a 75% refund, and re-book at half the price - and come out 25% ahead of the game. Perhaps once we retire, I'll have the time and interest to play those games, but right now, I just consider it a lesson learned. Regards, S.

Or travellers from other countries can complain because they are subsidising UK's flights? Though, looking at the spreadsheet, I feel we are all subsidising the USA specials.

You feel you "are all subsidising the USA specials" - What do you base that on? In the last few years there has been a dramatic decrease in Cunard voyages departing from USA ports, most noticeably the Port of NY. There are so few special offers for US passengers simply because there are so few voyages from US ports.

Have you noticed the specials offered for trans-altanic crossings from Southampton to NY? The per diem cost per day, plus all the bells and whistles like free parking, night in NY hotel, inexpensive return air flight, at times "kids sail for free", etc. These "special offers" have been going on for some time. Just as an example, contrast the cost of the 5 night July QM2 NY/Canada cruise with the cost of recent Crossings, and please tell us why you feel you feel that "you are all subsidising USA specials".Thanks, -S.

And here are the Australian prices: Looks like a bit of a deal on with free upgrades:

13 August prices with $US conversion using XE Currency Exchange rates:

Inside - $A1799 - $US 1643

Outside - $A1799 - $US 1643

Balcony - $A1799 - $US 1643

Club Balcony - $A4219 - $US 3852

Princess Grill $A5299 - $US 4839

Queen's Grill $A6599 - $US 6026

You feel you "are all subsidising the USA specials" - What do you base that on? In the last few years there has been a dramatic decrease in Cunard voyages departing from USA ports, most noticeably the Port of NY. There are so few special offers for US passengers simply because there are so few voyages from US ports.

Hi Salacia. I based that throwaway comment on the prices. USA inside cabin was $855 while UK was $1775, Australia was $1921 and Germany was $1679. In other words, we were all paying more than double the USA price.

It has nothing to do with how many cruises leave from a particular country. After all, how many leave from Australia? This particular voyage whose prices I am following, does not leave from US. The US special offers have nothing to do with voyages departing from there.

It is my suspicion (but I'd have to follow a lot more voyages and I don't have the information for that) that USA is given their special offers early so they have time to book flights, whereas the UK gets their special offers late on cruises as we have the option of air fare included. However, this doesn't apply to the poor Australians who would also like to book air fare early.

And here are the Australian prices: Looks like a bit of a deal on with free upgrades:

13 August prices with $US conversion using XE Currency Exchange rates:

Inside - $A1799 - $US 1643

Outside - $A1799 - $US 1643

Balcony - $A1799 - $US 1643

Club Balcony - $A4219 - $US 3852

Princess Grill $A5299 - $US 4839

Queen's Grill $A6599 - $US 6026

U.S prices cheaper than Australia?

As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end, amen.

* With a some exceptions.

I'd like throw another thing into the mix here and that's On Board Credit. I'm booked on to a Princess cruise later this year that begins in the UK and finishes in the US. A good many people in the US are banging on about the OBC they've received. In fact one person has $1100, although the average was around the $600 mark, which made me think that they've paid a very high price to reserve or have been rewarded with an exceptional deal. Although from what I can make out it's made up of a mix of benefits from shareholder to military and special offer incentives to book early. So when comparing from country to country, the price alone may not be so black and white as we'd all like to believe and that you also need to look at the in country incentives on offer. I also know on a TA from NY, that I've booked onto via a US agent, that this has rewarded me with some OBC, whereas nothing was on offer from Cunard in the UK and the TA cruise would have also cost me more had I'd have booked it at that time in the UK.

Thank you for the USA and Australian prices. I have updated these.

One thing I find interesting is seeing WHEN it is best to book the cruise, depending on your country. So far it seems that in USA it might be best to look for special offers about 6 months before a cruise leaves. I'm sorry to say that there's no good time for Australians to book!

Cunard comparison5.xls

I'd like throw another thing into the mix here and that's On Board Credit.

Hi Zippy. I've included the OBC where it was mentioned.

Here in the UK there is not much OBC, and it only seems to be if you book the full-price Vantage fares. I was amazed to see the US OBC on their very cheap special offer.

Hi Salacia. I based that throwaway comment on the prices. USA inside cabin was $855 while UK was $1775, Australia was $1921 and Germany was $1679. In other words, we were all paying more than double the USA price.

It has nothing to do with how many cruises leave from a particular country. After all, how many leave from Australia? This particular voyage whose prices I am following, does not leave from US. The US special offers have nothing to do with voyages departing from there.

It is my suspicion (but I'd have to follow a lot more voyages and I don't have the information for that) that USA is given their special offers early so they have time to book flights, whereas the UK gets their special offers late on cruises as we have the option of air fare included. However, this doesn't apply to the poor Australians who would also like to book air fare early.

Hi Fantasy51. Conventional wisdom has it that the lowest prices (sometimes called "flash sales") often appear after the final payment date if there are cabins that remain unsold. For the passengers needing to book a transatlantic flight on releatively short notice in order to meet a ship leaving from a European port, any price savings on the flash sale is often negated.

You mentioned that the "USA is given their special offers early so they have time to book flights". If those special offers come prior to final payment date, it is unlikely those offers will be as good as the offers that come after final payment date. Fewer voyages departing from US ports means that it is less likely US passengers are to benefit from flash sale prices when airfare is involved.

Of course, the same short fall would apply to any passenger from any country looking for the best deals on cruise fares. So, to my way of thinking, it does matter how many voyages leave from a particular country.

BTW, if interested, this website gives predictions on pricing and recommendations on when to book any particular cruise: http://********************/future_price_predictions/index.php

Regards,

Salacia

Edited to add: Just noticed that the URL I gave has been blocked out. (I suppose it must be connected with a travel agency.) Anyway, Google cruise price predictions and a few different sites will be shown.

Salacia, I am not an expert in this. As I have said several times, I am working from just this one cruise. However, if you look at the spreadsheet, you will see that the cruise is in early November and the cheapest price I've been shown was in early June. That's well before final payment date. Certainly the inside cabin rate at that time was half what we in the UK would pay.

I am looking forward to finding out what offers come after final payment date, and if the UK price can even remotely reach what the USA flash sale price is.

I have no idea how typical this situation is. Other Americans might be able to tell us if they have received flash sale prices for other cruises, four months before sailing date.

Salacia, I am not an expert in this. As I have said several times, I am working from just this one cruise. However, if you look at the spreadsheet, you will see that the cruise is in early November and the cheapest price I've been shown was in early June. That's well before final payment date. Certainly the inside cabin rate at that time was half what we in the UK would pay.

I am looking forward to finding out what offers come after final payment date, and if the UK price can even remotely reach what the USA flash sale price is.

I have no idea how typical this situation is. Other Americans might be able to tell us if they have received flash sale prices for other cruises, four months before sailing date.

Hi Fantasy51. I'm certainly no expert either. But tracking one voyage - as interesting as it is - is statistically insignificant. It's a lot of fun, but personally, I wouldn't draw conclusions from the study of one voyage: far too many variables, with no comparative studies. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying reading the thread. Regards, Salacia

Keep in mind, many (most?) of the discounted US fares also offer reduced deposit; however, should you need to cancel at any time for any reason after paying the deposit, you've lost it, no matter how early you booked (know this from experience, sadly). For that reason alone, we will not purchase a discounted fare, unless sail date is within 90 days of booking.

Keep in mind, many (most?) of the discounted US fares also offer reduced deposit; however, should you need to cancel at any time for any reason after paying the deposit, you've lost it, no matter how early you booked (know this from experience, sadly). For that reason alone, we will not purchase a discounted fare, unless sail date is within 90 days of booking.

V and S, just to mention, I purchased Cunard Care Insurance for a few voyages while booking through my travel agent. It was only on my last voyage in July, when there was flash flooding in the NY area and we weren't at all sure we could make it to the ship, that I found something that may be of interest. When I phoned the Cunard Care number and told them of my situation, the nice man told me that if I couldn't make it to the ship, I would be refunded 75% of my fare, no problem - because the terms were a 75% refund of fare FOR ANY REASON. (Happily, we made it to the ship, and I was very pleased with the response from the Cunard Care representative.)

I've only booked through a travel agent. Does your experience described above relate to a booking directly through Cunard, or a travel agent? I know that travel agents have different terms and conditions, but the travel agency I use gives a full refund for cancellations prior to final payment date, unless the fare is specified as "not refundable", which typically happens on a flash sale offered a month or two before sail date

Regards,

Salacia

It was a special sale last spring ('12) for a sail date that summer. We cancelled more than 90 days before sailing, and hadn't paid our fare, so this was just the deposit we lost.

V and S Sorry to hear that you lost your deposit...did you book through Cunard or a travel agent? I'm guessing that when you booked, the condition was "non-refundable"? Just my suggestion, but might want to do some further research about discounted fares. ;)

Archived