rear balcony on ships

coho ken

I have an opproitunity to book a couple of balconies off the rear of the Victory on the Veranda deck 8. Anyone ever had these cabins, or are they available because of not being in a good location? I have never had a balcony before and wonder if the extra cost (only about $200 more per cabin than an inside OV deck 3) is worth it?

Also, is there a different motion being on the rear of the ship? We have sailed once before with an OV in the middle of the ship. Very little motion, but there were no waves to speak of the entire week. I'm afraid if we get some seas the rear will really rock.

Thanks

I have an opproitunity to book a couple of balconies off the rear of the Victory on the Veranda deck 8. Anyone ever had these cabins, or are they available because of not being in a good location? I have never had a balcony before and wonder if the extra cost (only about $200 more per cabin than an inside OV deck 3) is worth it?

Also, is there a different motion being on the rear of the ship? We have sailed once before with an OV in the middle of the ship. Very little motion, but there were no waves to speak of the entire week. I'm afraid if we get some seas the rear will really rock.

Thanks

We have had balcony cabins in the aft (rear) and they were wonderful - we did not feel much if any motion. If you can afford a balcony cabin, I think it is worth it, but I wouldn't spend outside of my budget just to get one.

The *only* drawback to aft balcony cabins on Verandah Deck is that you *will* experience early morning chair-sliding noises as they prepare the aft pool area.

Other than that *very* minor issue, it's a great cabin in a great location.

Have sailed the Victory on the aft- cabin 6440. Ilike being closer to the water. We did no tfeel more motion here. It is warm on the aft and you dont have oceanbreezes like you do on the sides. THe balcony is much bigger on the aft compared to the sides. The view is amazing- http://community.webshots.com/photo/231082601/283585957lnziFZ

We had an aft balcony on the Triumph. I was not impressed. I think it is just my personal preference though. We had a port side balcony on the Glory and I much prefer to have the side balcony to be able to watch as we are approaching and pulling into port and docking. However, I realize that not all ships pull in to port on the port side all the time so I don't know how I would have liked that. I also like to watch the ocean and shoreline as we sail along. We "seemed" closer to the water on the side balcony too even though we were 2 decks higher. I like being nearer the water. One other thing about the aft balconies is that we picked up trash every day from folks on deck 10, or other balconies above us, throwing things over the rails. Every morning, we had to dry everything off since it was wet from the window "sprayers" for the restaurant above us and the rest of the time, you have to check the chairs before sitting down as they tend to collect tiny particles of soot looking stuff that will get on your clothes if you do not get them first. I'm convinced the aft is not for me.

I have heard many, many raves about aft balconies and have booked a corner aft for December. I had first booked the aft 7433 (with refusal of upgrade) and then upgraded myself to the corner 7425 - just to try the corner once.;)

AFt balconies are deeper and can fit a lounge chair for the same price as a regular cat 8A. If you like the balcony a LOT an aft may be good for you.

I have been researching this quite a bit and I have found that this is a nice quiet area (noone will be running down the halls as the only people in the area are those with cabins in the aft) - you are close to stairs and elevators. Close to Lido and pizza!!!

There are some great aft pics posted on webshots - I picked my cabin carefully, and that is thanks to everyone here on CC that has sent me pics, plans, tips, etc.

This site is the best!!:)

We had an aft balcony on the Victory and LOVED IT!!!

We had an aft on the Victory in May and did not care for it. The balcony actually had puddles on it every morning and bits of 'stuff' from the crew washing down the Lido deck. I have no idea what the 'stuff' was. Other passengers do throw their garbage (beer bottles) from the Lido deck. There was no breeze and absolutely no privacy from adjoining balconies. Felt like a being in a fishbowl. There was also a lot of motion. It was very disappointing as we cruised on the Victory last October and had a side balcony which we enjoyed immensely. For the record, we love the Victory and would definitely sail her again.

I want an AFT!!!! Will they hold 3??? 2 Adults and a 12year old???:)

You can have an aft for three on the triumph== one bed will be a rollaway though.

AFt balconies are deeper and can fit a lounge chair for the same price as a regular cat 8A.

Not necessarily. Putting a lounge chair out there can take up most of your space. Depends on what class ship. This is a balcony on the aft of spirit class ship - http://community.webshots.com/photo/231082601/283578778xGRsek

6440 on the Victory is a popular room! I was in it last year at this time for a CTN. Glad I only had it for 2 days because I definitely prefer a side balcony. Prefer to see where I am going than where I've been. JMHO :rolleyes:

Hey Serene56, awesome detail pics, thanks... Question, We have two cabins on the glory in two weeks. One is a 9A aft on veranda deck, not the true aft but the big cabin with the looks like more than double length veranda. It is only a two person cabin, which is twice the size of most. Can you ask for a roll away? and is it an extra cost. Our other cabin is a 6b for three. We are a family of 5 and it would be nice to have the option of where we choose to crash. Thanks

Thanks for all of your opinions. I really want to switch to a balcony and just might. The soot comment from the stacks and water debris makes sense. Side balconies might be the choice, even if our cabins are a few door apart. Sometimes I wonder where I can stop....Would'nt the owner's suite take all!:D

The *only* drawback to aft balcony cabins on Verandah Deck is that you *will* experience early morning chair-sliding noises as they prepare the aft pool area.

Other than that *very* minor issue, it's a great cabin in a great location.

We were on Deck 8 on the Valor in April, and had no problem with sounds from above. We only found 1 beer can, which was quickly removed by the steward. Just a touch more movement than midships, but I like the feel of the ship moving.

A 9A has a bigger balcony, but I really don't think it is worth the extra price. After all, just how much balcony do 2 people need?

Mark T.

Hello

We had cabin 8435 on the Victory in march it has a large balcony larger than some ot the others . You will feel a little motion back there but to me it was very relaxing it would slowly rock you to sleep at night.the aft cabins are really great. does this happen to be one of your cabins if so I will try to answer your questions have a great cruise James

Creole: the only time anyone can see you on your balcony is when you stand at the rail. and of course if your neighbors peek around the divider.. but you have that chance on a side balcony also.

I am planning to experience both .. but no reviews until next year LOL. Our 1st cruise we will be in a CAT11 midship on the Victory and our 2nd we will be in a CAT9A wraparound on the Conquest 10/06 can't wait... :)

We have booked AFT cabin 8454 on the Valor for next year! We have never had a balcony, always OV. I am not sure if I will like watching where we have been instead of where we are going-I tend to get really car sick if I am the passenger, I have to watch the road or sleep.

Sandy

We have booked AFT cabin 8454 on the Valor for next year! We have never had a balcony, always OV. I am not sure if I will like watching where we have been instead of where we are going-I tend to get really car sick if I am the passenger, I have to watch the road or sleep.

Sandy

Better check into those seasick meds then :)

I've got an aft cabin on the Triumph next month (7430) and I'm still trying to decide if I want to call and request a cabin change or not. I know there's not much likelihood that it would change anyway, since I'd booked a guarantee. But I've always enjoyed the cabins on the side of the ship, watching where we're sailing, etc. I'm not so confident that I'll enjoy hanging out watching our wake off the back of the ship.

I'm just watching the replies to this thread to see if anyone has other insights... bearing in mind that on the Triumph, at least, these cabins aren't necessarily the 9A with the big balcony, but rather standard balcony cabins that simply face aft.

Archived