Getting to St.Johns via Catamaran

Roxxy

I have been looking at the Champagne Sail, but half of our party is not into the snorkelling and would like to spend some time shopping in town.

Actually, where is the best shopping in St. Johns?

We all love sailing on the nets on the catamaran, so that is really our priority.

Any recommendations?

St. John has very, very little shopping -- the emphasis is on the natural attractions and parks. It's far different than St. Thomas, which is very commercialized. What little shopping you will find is in Cruz Bay, where the local ferries transport visitors and workers from St. Thomas. No cruise ships docked in St. John, which is why shopping is not the big thing. If it's shopping you seek, it's St. Thomas. Catamaran sounds nice -- try the snorkeling in Trunk Bay on St. John. Amazing! Enjoy your cruise.

St. John has very, very little shopping -- the emphasis is on the natural attractions and parks. It's far different than St. Thomas, which is very commercialized. What little shopping you will find is in Cruz Bay, where the local ferries transport visitors and workers from St. Thomas. No cruise ships docked in St. John, which is why shopping is not the big thing. If it's shopping you seek, it's St. Thomas. Catamaran sounds nice -- try the snorkeling in Trunk Bay on St. John. Amazing! Enjoy your cruise.

Actually Cruz Bay is a great place to shop! You will find nice art and jewelry ships as well as clothing, etc. Also some great lunch spots. When we stay on STT we head to Cruz for shopping.

So the champagne cat sail would be an ideal option for your group. You will love the cat sail, and the shopping in Cruz Bay is much nicer than in Charlotte Amalie without the crowds and hawkers. You can also have the artist at St John Bracelets customize a Hook bracelet while you go to the beach or have lunch. Impeccable workmanship and a unique piece.

Have a great day on the water and on STJ! ;)

Actually Cruz Bay is a great place to shop! You will find nice art and jewelry ships as well as clothing, etc. Also some great lunch spots. When we stay on STT we head to Cruz for shopping.

So the champagne cat sail would be an ideal option for your group. You will love the cat sail, and the shopping in Cruz Bay is much nicer than in Charlotte Amalie without the crowds and hawkers. You can also have the artist at St John Bracelets customize a Hook bracelet while you go to the beach or have lunch. Impeccable workmanship and a unique piece.

Have a great day on the water and on STJ! ;)

Does the Champagne Cat Sail give you the option to do some shopping at Cruz Bay?

Does anyone know which company operates the Champagne Cat Sail?

Does the Champagne Cat Sail give you the option to do some shopping at Cruz Bay?

Does anyone know which company operates the Champagne Cat Sail?

We did the Champagne Catamaran Tour on the Dream in May 2012 ... we loved it....it was just me and my husband ... and neither one of us snorkel ... so when we got to the part where the snorkeling was ... we got on a little tiny boat they were pulling behind it and they took us on to the beach....but the beach we went to had a National Park sign and there were no facilities or like that....I didn't see or hear anyone mention during the time we were there going to any other part of the island...we weren't there for long ... but my husband definitely wasn't a beach person so that didn't bother him .... we just loved being on the Catamaran and the party starts on the way back ... I am trying to decide if this will be a good excursion for my 20 year old son and me in May of this year ... his daddy died with a massive heart attack in September and we already had this cruise booked...and my son wanted to go in his daddy's place.....I said I guess this will be the last thing that I ever do that Tony & I planned together

Sorry, I thought the champagne cat sail also dropped you in Cruz Bay for a beach stop or shopping but it doesn't. You taxi to the East End to meet the cat then just spend 1.5 hrs in Caneel Bay where you can dingy into Honeymoon Beach if you don't snorkel. Nice day on the water but rather pricey at $95pp and not much time on STJ for non-snorkelers. There are nicer sailboat options you can take out of the Sapphire Marina like New Horizons or Yacht Nightwind (NH is $75pp).

For your group I would suggest you taxi to the Red Hook ferry and take the 15 min ferry to Cruz, nice trip there and back, and the ppl who want to see Cruz Bay can shop and enjoy that while others taxi to the beach. Depending on your time in port you could do both.

You could also all take the island tour together that is offered by the drivers in Cruz Bay (about $25pp), and the beach goers can then be dropped at Trunk or Cinnamon and the others return to Cruz for shopping. That would be a perfect day for your group.

Roundtrip transportation from Havensight is about $34pp to Cruz Bay ($20 taxi to and from RH, $14 ferry roundtrip). A little more from Crown.

Roxy you're docked at Havensight and the taxi to red Hook and ferry to STJ is a very popular choice from there because you're not that far. You're in port only 7 hrs so that limits your time. You should easily make the 2PM ferry over, and would want to take the 5 or 6PM return giving you 2.5 or 3.5 hrs on STJ.

You are also in port with 3 other large ships (Oasis of the Seas, Disney Fantasy, & Celeb Reflection) so the STT beaches will surely be crowded as will Charlotte Amalie. The taxi/ferry option is an excellent way to get away from the crowds if that is enough time to make it worth your while. Trunk Bay on STJ will likely be crowded but Cruz bay should be enjoyable, and the beach goers could go to CInnamon Bay if Trunk was too busy.

the 6PM return ferry would be safe, that would give you just over an hour to get back to Havensight from Red Hook. But if you want to be conservative look at the 5PM return and only a couple hours to enjoy the island.

Enjoy whatever you choose!

Blue_Water .. how many ships will be in port the day that we are there?

Tuesday, May 20th from 12:00-8:00? My son and I are texting back and forth now trying to decide what a 20 year old would like to do with his mom on the islands..:rolleyes:

GAMOM ... Actually, think your son would be fine with the Champagne Catamaran. Lot's of it is sailing but does have about two hours of snorkel/ beach time and fun on the return sail.

It does not go to Cruz Bay so there is no shopping. He'll probably like that. ;)

It really won't matter how many ships are in St. Thomas the day you are on this one because you'll be picked up from the ship, taken to the catamaran, and returned to the ship. You'll only be with people who booked this excursion.

You've sadly been thru enough stress in your life this past year so just do something within you comfort zone.

LuLu

~~~~

GAMOM ... Actually, think your son would be fine with the Champagne Catamaran. Lot's of it is sailing but does have about two hours of snorkel/ beach time and fun on the return sail.

It does not go to Cruz Bay so there is no shopping. He'll probably like that. ;)

It really won't matter how many ships are in St. Thomas the day you are on this one because you'll be picked up from the ship, taken to the catamaran, and returned to the ship. You'll only be with people who booked this excursion.

You've sadly been thru enough stress in your life this past year so just do something within you comfort zone.

LuLu

~~~~

That is true ..... and my husband and I really LOVED this tour....well other than the ride on the way to the catamaran.... we had never been on one before and our son hasn't either.....and you are SO right about him probably liking the part about no shopping :) :) I actually hadn't thought about it that way....I am hoping on the ship he can meet some people his age.....I would also like to ride the tram to Paradise Point...do you think we would have time to do that? When my husband and I went... we got off the ship and walked there...but it was under construction or something...so we just walked back to Senor Frogs...it was hot even though it was May and had a drink...and waited on the excursion to start.

Blue_Water .. how many ships will be in port the day that we are there?

Tuesday, May 20th from 12:00-8:00? My son and I are texting back and forth now trying to decide what a 20 year old would like to do with his mom on the islands..:rolleyes:

Typical day, you're docked with the Glory and Oasis of the Seas. I'm looking at your cruise itinerary and your plans on SXM and Tortola and for STT you could enjoy a beach on STT, take the champagne cat sail to the cays off Caneel Bay STJ and spend 1.5 hrs snorkeling, or tour the island. You don;t really have time to do STJ and Paradise Point, butyou could do Secret Harbor then Paradise Point. Or even stop at Iggie's Beach Bar at Bolongo bay on the way back from SH for a rum punch and a fun vibe. But the tram to PP is nice, it's a short ride but we like to relax at PP and taking the tram down and walking back to the ship.

I'll follow up on your other questions in a bit!