Seasickness and 17 month old

toby517

I have posted this a few times with a few changes and updated information.

How come nobody ever thinks to ask the pharmacist?

Pharmacists can recommend over-the-counter remedies (and we can vaccinate people against the flu and other diseases).

There are few pharmaceutical options for kids.

Bonine, Dramamine (Less Drowsy Formula) which is meclizine

Dramamine Original Formula, Gravol (avail. in Canada) which is dimenhydrinate.

Benadryl which is diphenhydramine.

-----------------------------------------------

Bonine/Dramamine (Less Drowsy Formula) is not recommended for children under the age of 12.

http://www.drugs.com/meclizine.html

This medicine should not be given to a child younger than 12 years old.

This is because of the meclizine, it really hasn't been officially studied or submitted to the FDA for the use in children. Doesn't mean it's dangerous for kids... it's just not officially approved for kids. It's an old drug, and nobody wants to spend the money to conduct a placebo-controlled, double-blind, motion-sickness study on the use of meclizine in children. The liability waivers from the attorneys would cost a fortune alone.

This also means that if something bad does happen, the makers of the products are covered by the warning (but I don't think anything bad has happened... except maybe overdosage)

Bonine for Children was discontinued by the makers of Bonine. I didn't think that it was a good choice of a drug. It was cyclizine which was the main ingredient of another old remedy called Marezine which I don't think is marketed anymore, either. It caused a lot of drowsiness/dry mouth and was only approved for use in kids 6 and up. I did not like to recommend it.

Sure, take advantage of the Bonine name, but give a drug that is just not as good as it's main competitor (Dramamine) and market it for kids? That's just mean.

------------------------------------

Dramamine Original Formula/Gravol (dimenhydrinate). This medicine has been around a long time and has been studied for children. Dimenhydrinate has recommended doses for kids as young as 2 years old.

http://dramamine.com/products/kids

Directions To prevent or treat all forms of motion sickness, the first dose should be taken 1/2 to 1 hour before starting activity:

• children 2 to under 6 years: give 1/2 to 1 chewable tablet every 6-8 hours; do not give more than 3 chewable tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor.
  • children 6 to under 12 years: give 1 to 2 chewable tablets every 6-8 hours; do not give more than 6 chewable tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor.

Do not use for children under 2 years of age unless directed by a doctor

--------------------------------------------------------------

Benadryl is the unusual one and can be given to kids 2 and up.

Diphenhydramine has been around for a long time. Benadryl used to be used as a cough medicine (Benylin) 50 years ago until it was decided that although it works to suppress coughs, it is a better drug for allergies. So, another one of Benadryl's uses... is motion sickness.

http://www.drugs.com/benadryl.html

Benadryl is also used to suppress coughs, to treat motion sickness, to induce sleep, and to treat mild forms of Parkinson's disease.

Sure it has all these other uses, and it's BEST for allergies and sleep, but... in a pinch? You can give it for motion sickness.

Benadryl is the only one you should ask the pediatrician for in regards to the dose for really little kids... in those cases, it's dosed on a milligram per kilogram (dosed by weight) basis.

Most infants/toddlers who are just learning to walk or are crawling around don't usually get motion sickness. Motion sickness happens when the balance center of the head doesn't agree with what the eyes are telling the brain. If the child doesn't have much balance to begin with, it doesn't matter as much.

You also have some non-pharmaceutical natural remedies.

Ginger - Available as a gum, soft drink, capsules, candy.

I love Altoids... they use to sell the Ginger Altoids domestically... recently had to buy them from Amazon in bulk...

51GjvGWb1%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Seaband makes a chewing gum

08727900547_220x220_a.jpg

and there's ginger snap cookies that I've read on CruiseCritic that people said have worked.

Sea Bands which work for some and not for others

Hopefully, you will have smooth seas and won't even have to think about these remedies, but it doesn't hurt to have a supply just in case. I bring Dramamine and Ginger Altoids with me on cruises... haven't really had to use them often...

We just cruised with our 18 month old last month and I don't think he even had a clue we were moving most of the time! We took along child sea bands and some ginger candy but didn't need any of it. He did great! Good luck to you. I'm sure little one will be fine!