Taxed on individual soda with Bottomless Bubbles?!

firemanbobswife

On the Glory. Every time I have sailed on a Carnival ship we always purchase Bottomless Bubbles and if bought in port, they charge tax on the total package. Well as soon as I bought it at the Blue Iguana Bar, they gave me a Diet Coke.

After my Guy's Burger, we decided to go to the aft pool bar. The guy swiped our cards and handed a receipt to me to sign for $.13. What is this I asked. He says that since we're American and we're in an American Port, Miami requires us to pay tax on the soda. WTH I have NEVER had this before. He insisted that's the way it is. I know with Cheers - yes but not BB. He refused to listen to it and instead of arguing and getting upset I said fine, whatever, signed the stupid thing and asked for a copy. Could have just refused the soda and went elsewhere, but it is humid as heck here and I was thirsty. Anyone ever have this happen with BB? Not me in all of my 7 previous Carnival cruises.

It's only $.13 but since I'm planning a trip to GS later on anyway, I'll be sure to let you know what they say.

0ebe801393e16c83be023f8c17b1fde8.jpg

You should not be paying tax on the whole package at the time of purchase, just gratuity on the entire package. The above receipt is the correct way to tax it. If they were previously taxing you on the entire package, you were being over-taxed. Just be sure on this most recent cruise you weren't taxed both on the package and additionally on drinks while in US ports.

Edited to add: As long as you weren't double taxed, it's very much to your advantage to only be taxed while in a US port. If that's your only soda while in Miami, you've only paid $0.13 tax, instead of a few dollars on the whole package.

Edited by irishnyc

Probably has something to do with the specific state/city/port tax laws. May even be some kind of entertainment/hotel/motel tax. I just looked at a bunch of receipts from a past cruise out of NOLA and there are no taxes charged on anything. But then, I don't think I made of any of the purchases while in port.

You should not be paying tax on the whole package at the time of purchase, just gratuity on the entire package. The above receipt is the correct way to tax it. If they were previously taxing you on the entire package, you were being over-taxed. Just be sure on this most recent cruise you weren't taxed both on the package and additionally on drinks while in US ports.

Edited to add: As long as you weren't double taxed, it's very much to your advantage to only be taxed while in a US port. If that's your only soda while in Miami, you've only paid $0.13 tax, instead of a few dollars on the whole package.

That makes sense. It's just that they normally don't actually charge the amount to my account until after we leave port and 99.9% of the time they never swipe my card, just look for the sticker.

I will check my account tonight to see if in fact I am charged tax on the whole package or not. But in the past when they did put it on right away, the tax was on the whole package. Thanks for your help :)

Edited by firemanbobswife

Were you charged tax on the entire purchase in Miami? If so, you were double taxed and should visit the Guest Services desk. If not, you're coming out ahead being taxed individually.

Edit: We just sailed on the Caribbean Princess this past week out of Fort Lauderdale. There was no tax on either the package purchased in port or individual drinks ordered. Princess also doesn't scan your card to verify a picture, as Carnival does.

Edited by Disconnections

Were you charged tax on the entire purchase in Miami? If so, you were double taxed and should visit the Guest Services desk. If not, you're coming out ahead being taxed individually.

Edit: We just sailed on the Caribbean Princess this past week out of Fort Lauderdale. There was no tax on either the package purchased in port or individual drinks ordered. Princess also doesn't scan your card to verify a picture, as Carnival does.

I don't think so, but every other cruise that I have been on with the exception of one (the one where we were charged tax on the whole thing) was just like your Princess Cruise. They never swiped our cards, either, therefore, no tax. This is just all very strange to me.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I don't think so, but every other cruise that I have been on with the exception of one (the one where we were charged tax on the whole thing) was just like your Princess Cruise. They never swiped our cards, either, therefore, no tax. This is just all very strange to me.

When you get a chance, check your receipt to see if you were. If you don't have it, Guest Services can get a copy for you.

As an aside, enjoy your cruise!

I think I read somewhere on here that they're no longer accepting BB on HMC, citing the same excuse they've been using to explain why you can't use Cheers on HMC - too hard to keep account of it because the POS terminals on the island aren't in communication with the ship. I wonder if they're just trying to be more consistent with how beverage packages are handled and accounted for, and now swiping cards for BB just like they need to with Cheers. From a business standpoint, it makes sense for them to account for all sodas sold, whether individually, via BB, via Cheers (I've never purchased BB, but have purchased Cheers, and did have to sign for sodas), or via mixed drinks. As a customer, it's certainly cheaper by a few dollars to only, and rightfully, charge tax per drink purchased in US water.

Last cruise on the Valor in August.... I was charged tax on the bottomless bubbles and on then on the soda i got while in port at San Juan... They said the tax would be removed on the individual soda but it never happen.... guest service explain that the tax is collected because i got a soda while in San Juan and thats how the system is setup if i would have waited until we were international waters no tax would have been collected on the individual soda order under bb.... also the signing of the receipt is to track inventory of soda but i later learned that if you wanted to add a tip u could on the receipt that they give you with your order under bb program

29 cruises, half of those with the soda sticker and we were surprised as you on this. We were on the Glory last week with you.

When I complained about it they shared the tax is collected at the time of transaction while in port. This is brand new, it wasn't in place on our last cruise in June.

In my opinion this will kill the program as two things are eliminated, one is the no sign, quick transaction for a soda is gone. And the pressure to tip for every transaction will stop people from buying this.

I might be wrong...

Edited by BallFour4

realistically, the way I see it is that you bought a 'cup' that the cruise line promised would always be full of soda.

whatever port you are in charges tax on the sale of that cup, assuming you were charged tax on sale of that cup (the package)

then, you asked to fill that cup (with soda) and the port / city charges tax on the sale of an additional product, the soda. The cruise line didn't charge you for the soda because you accepted their offer of the 'cup'. But, the cruise line is selling a second product, the soda.

depending upon laws and regulations etc they are fully within their rights to do so. You bought two separate products while within their taxing jurisdiction.

I hope that makes some sense...

but in the end really this is a complaint based in a 13 cent charge to your account because of the above situation? Enjoy your cruise, don't sweat the small stuff

realistically, the way I see it is that you bought a 'cup' that the cruise line promised would always be full of soda.

whatever port you are in charges tax on the sale of that cup, assuming you were charged tax on sale of that cup (the package)

then, you asked to fill that cup (with soda) and the port / city charges tax on the sale of an additional product, the soda. The cruise line didn't charge you for the soda because you accepted their offer of the 'cup'. But, the cruise line is selling a second product, the soda.

depending upon laws and regulations etc they are fully within their rights to do so. You bought two separate products while within their taxing jurisdiction.

I hope that makes some sense...

but in the end really this is a complaint based in a 13 cent charge to your account because of the above situation? Enjoy your cruise, don't sweat the small stuff

The cup is a separate purchase from bottomless bubbles and has nothing to do with the tax on the soda. It has no more to do with the tax on the above receipt than if I asked them to fill my hat with soda.

Edited by irishnyc

Small stuff for some people but not for others, so be respectful !

I'm sitting on the fence about cheers (# of drinks I normally drink + one tend to drink more in the first couple days )

So, for me, I'll be paying taxes on day # 1 and day # 2 ( Key West )

It may amount to enough money to buy a DOD, so, I may just bring my own bottle of wine and soda onboard and replenish in Key West.

Did not mean to highjack the thread ! Sorry in advance.:)

Probably has something to do with the specific state/city/port tax laws. May even be some kind of entertainment/hotel/motel tax. I just looked at a bunch of receipts from a past cruise out of NOLA and there are no taxes charged on anything. But then, I don't think I made of any of the purchases while in port.

We also purchased the soda program while at the dock in New Orleans in 2013, no tax was charged. Maybe the Louisiana authorities are nicer.

On the Glory. Every time I have sailed on a Carnival ship we always purchase Bottomless Bubbles and if bought in port, they charge tax on the total package. Well as soon as I bought it at the Blue Iguana Bar, they gave me a Diet Coke.

After my Guy's Burger, we decided to go to the aft pool bar. The guy swiped our cards and handed a receipt to me to sign for $.13. What is this I asked. He says that since we're American and we're in an American Port, Miami requires us to pay tax on the soda. WTH I have NEVER had this before. He insisted that's the way it is. I know with Cheers - yes but not BB. He refused to listen to it and instead of arguing and getting upset I said fine, whatever, signed the stupid thing and asked for a copy. Could have just refused the soda and went elsewhere, but it is humid as heck here and I was thirsty. Anyone ever have this happen with BB? Not me in all of my 7 previous Carnival cruises.

It's only $.13 but since I'm planning a trip to GS later on anyway, I'll be sure to let you know what they say.

0ebe801393e16c83be023f8c17b1fde8.jpg

This isn't new.

You need to remember that many cities across the country have passed laws charging a "health" tax on soft drinks to "attack the obesity problem". My guess is that is the tax you are seeing if the port city has passed such a tax. If that is the case, you have no choice but to pay it and Carnival has no choice but to collect it.

I have never heard of a "health tax". What will they think of next. At least in Tennessee the locals can't initiate taxes without state legislature approval.

Of course such a tax would have absolutely nothing to do with "health" but would simply provide an additional source of revenue for government to squander.

I can't find any city that actually has a specific tax on "soda" or soft drinks.

Edited by travler27

Do you have a copy of your receipt for the program itself? I do not see how they can essentially tax you twice. :confused:

Then you don't understand how tax works. Even at the market, the tax you pay is a combo of three potential taxes, federal, state; and local. I know what a PITB when our two states started having tax exempt weeks on clothing, and we had to support tax in buckets.

Then you don't understand how tax works. Even at the market, the tax you pay is a combo of three potential taxes, federal, state; and local. I know what a PITB when our two states started having tax exempt weeks on clothing, and we had to support tax in buckets.

In case you are not reading the thread we are discussing the BB program and whether there is tax on the program and individual drinks in port. There is no tax on the Cheers program but there is on individual drinks in US ports. See? No clothing mentioned nor your state tax, nor tax exempt weeks. That is all. Keep your insults to yourself.

Edited by Bookbug53

In case you are not reading the thread we are discussing the BB program and whether there is tax on the program and individual drinks in port. There is no tax on the Cheers program but there is on individual drinks in US ports. See? No clothing mentioned nor your state tax, nor tax exempt weeks. That is all. Keep your insults to yourself.

It was an example to illustrate. There is a STATE tax that is involved when the ship is in port. That portion is collected when the ship is in port, at the percentage of that tax rate.

But at that rate, they are collecting more than state.

Edited by Orison

It was an example to illustrate. There is a STATE tax that is involved when the ship is in port. That portion is collected when the ship is in port, at the percentage of that tax rate.

But at that rate, they are collecting more than state.

Who else do you think they're collecting for? There are no federal taxes at the point of sale. (The tax on the above seems to be rounded up. I believe current tax on a bar sale in Miami is 8.25%.)

Edited by irishnyc

I just got off the Breeze this morning and yes, they no longer make you pay tax on the entire purchase when you buy it. I hadn't ever experienced this before but I don't have any issues with it either. The person at the table selling the package explained the process clearly to each person who bought it and I even told the carnival employee I thought it was a better idea to do it the new way. I did have to pay 13 cents on the first soda I bought at approximately 6pm however as we were still in US waters but no more after that. And it's my experience that it depends on the individual bartender and ship management whether they swipe your card each time to verify it is really you and you don't go on binge buying at like 5 bars in a row or something. Some ships they all do it, some they don't and on the breeze, some swiped everybody's, every time. Some bars also made cardholders sign a receipt for a 0.00 charge. Lol. Just a pointless exercise that wasted time and paper. My mdr waiters never swiped my card. Weird. But I don't have a problem with the system they have gone to in terms of taxes. Like others have said, I probably ended up a few dollars ahead when all was said and done.