Inside Attire, Quest Antarctica

SKP946

I have searched this forum but haven't been able to find what the day to day attire is when we are onboard Quest once we leave the Falklands (we are on the Nov 29 sailing)

Is the temp onboard kept as normal (about 22c, 72f ) or are the inside temps lowered to match the outside temps, as they do on aircraft before you land at a cooler place ?

I assume that inside we will be wearing clothing more suitable for a Melbourne winter than summer in the Med ?:)

When we left the Falklands the weather started to warm up quite nicely.

The temperatures in Montevideo and BA were around 80f.

On the whole trip down to Antarctica the ship was nice and cosy and warm with no problems.

Kind regards,

Tony

Melbourne Late May or early November when you expect the southerly to come through

Layers are definitely a key as when there are sightings you want to go outside to see whats doing and you need you very warm gear then.

I only wore thermals on the landing days. The ship was nice and warm yep about 22 so I often had a long sleeve knit top or cotton shirt on inside.

In terms of packing I felt I needed more cold weather gear than summer gear (over packed on summer and under packed on winter jumpers as once we hit Chile/Ushuaia on land I didn't need the down layer (too hot) but did need a winter outfit

They do have snuggies and blankets poolside if you choose to dine outside for lunch and these make an excellent extra layer.

On the Holiday Antarctic Cruise, we actually found the indoor temps too warm for wearing winter apparel, so I would concur with the advice to dress in layers so you can be ready to dash on deck at anytime when the announcement comes to view whales, icebergs, birds, penguins or any of the other dazzling sights you won't want to miss. We even had a volcanic eruption during dinner one evening!

Thank you Tony and Trevor, Mrs. Waldo and Medroots for your prompt and helpful replies.

Mrs. SKP (who feels the cold) is now feeling much happier and is packing all her Melbourne winter woollies, plus padded coats and boots.:rolleyes: (Lucky our airline baggage allowance is 3 x 30 kg suitcases EACH ! ) (I think that we will probably take 3 between us):rolleyes::)

Thank you Tony and Trevor, Mrs. Waldo and Medroots for your prompt and helpful replies.

Mrs. SKP (who feels the cold) is now feeling much happier and is packing all her Melbourne winter woollies, plus padded coats and boots.:rolleyes: (Lucky our airline baggage allowance is 3 x 30 kg suitcases EACH ! ) (I think that we will probably take 3 between us):rolleyes::)

3 x 30kgs each? wow....that is amazing! Who are you flying with?

BrisbaneGran, we are flying Qantas Business, although we had the same allowance flying Jetstar Business to Singapore last year to board the Pride.

I cannot see us handling any more than 3 cases between the two of us !:)

From the Qantas website:-

Travel Class Checked Baggage

Allowance Carry-on Baggage

Allowance

Adult Qantas Club members and Silver and Gold Qantas Frequent Flyers Platinum and Platinum One Qantas Frequent Flyers

Economy 2 pieces up to 23kg (50lb) each 3 pieces up to 23kg (50lb) each 3 pieces up to 32kg (70lb) each 7kg (15lb) per piece.

Dimensions apply.

Premium

Economy 2 pieces up to 23kg (50lb) each 3 pieces up to 23kg (50lb) each 3 pieces up to 32kg (70lb) each 7kg (15lb) per piece.

Dimensions apply.

Business 3 pieces up to 32kg (70lb) each 3 pieces up to 32kg (70lb) each 4 pieces up to 32kg (70lb) each 7kg (15lb) per piece.

Dimensions apply.

First 3 pieces up to 32kg (70lb) each 3 pieces up to 32kg (70lb) each 4 pieces up to 32kg (70lb) each 7kg (15lb) per piece.

Dimensions apply.

Note: No single item of checked baggage may exceed 32kg (70lb).

When we did our Antarctic cruise we had three checked bags and two carry ons for two people. And that was more than adequate despite the bulkier clothing (padded ski pants, parka, thermals, pullovers, fleeces, heavy socks, etc.). In addition, we both took 'bulky' hiking boots which were useful in the Falklands and the Chilean National Parks. I also had my camera gear (bulky but not as bulky as some :eek:).

In the evenings we dressed as we would for any other Seabourn cruise as did everyone else. So jackets, dress shirts, etc.. Day wear, on the other hand, was more about being practical considering the weather and the running in and out when something interesting was sighted. Needless to say, the Observation Lounge was often strewn with outdoor clothing which would be grabbed each time there was a mad rush outside.

Bear in mind that, even if it is not cold outside, it is often very windy so there is a wind chill factor. If you don't want to carry the heavy parka around all the time then take a lightweight wind jacket. I took my 'gortex' golf jacket which worked well for wind.

Thank you Roxburgh, that is most informative, we will now pack our Goretex jackets as well. I can imagine that there were probably a lot of mix ups with all the Seabourn jackets lying around !

How warm are the supplied Seabourn insulating inner jackets please ?

Thank you Roxburgh, that is most informative, we will now pack our Goretex jackets as well. I can imagine that there were probably a lot of mix ups with all the Seabourn jackets lying around !

How warm are the supplied Seabourn insulating inner jackets please ?

They are quite warm. My wife often wore hers without the parka. For myself, I preferred to wear a fleece under the parka which is what I always do when I go skiing.