Rio day tour and airport drop off

planeman

There will be 4 or 5 of us getting off of our ship early morning August 4th. We have the whole day to kill sightseeing. We will need to be at the airport for our 8:30 pm flight. Any suggestions on a tour guide? Thanks in advance

You could try getting in touch with Rafa (Rafael Torres Lopes, http://donrafaguestsinrio.blogspot.com/) He has a great, quirky sense of humor, is a Rio native (a "carioca da gema") who knows his city's history well, is an excellent photographer himself who knows where the best shots are to be taken, and knows all sorts of interesting off-the-beaten-path places around the area. I've ridden along on a number of tours and always learn something new, and can count on having an amusing time. Most of his clients end up as friends for the long term, inviting him to their own homes and/or becoming repeat clients. You can read reviews in various locations online.

We're (four) also on the cruise and looking for a tour. We, too, fly out on AA that night. Haven't had any luck finding a tour operator available. Am sure the Olympics has the city filled to capacity with requests. If you find anything and would like to share, much appreciated.

So just take a regular yellow taxi to the sights you want to see. (look for a taxi with the name and phone number of the cooperative painted on the back fender.) You could leave your luggage in storage at the in-town Santos Dumont airport or at Rodoviario Novo Rio (bus station) or see if your initial driver might stay with you for the day.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Since this is a charter it seems difficult to start a roll call. Someone in our group is looking into it. I guess we can chat here until then. Looking forward to 11 straight days at sea (that will be my record) Should be an interesting cast of characters. It seems that this is chartered by the US Olympic committee. Don't know why people were invited at the last minute. Booked a suite at these prices. Don't know how full the ship might be. Look forward to meeting you all. More to follow. Bruce

I'm one of the 4 or 5 that will be on this cruise that planeman mentioned in the opening post.

I'm glad to see that others found this thread too.

I tried the other day to see if there was a CruiseCritic roll-call under NCL's heading but didn't find anything at the time. I will do a more in-depth search this morning to see if I can find a 'charter' or 'private' cruise section and let you know here.

Currently waiting for paperwork from the charter people although I do have my booking number.

Has anyone received any paperwork such as boarding ticket, luggage tags, rules, etc.?

Looking forward to the cruise portion and I hope to meet up with some of you on board.

Gary Hayman (LeVoyageur)

%21LeVoyageurClipArt02.jpg

Edited by LeVoyageur

There will be 4 or 5 of us getting off of our ship early morning August 4th. We have the whole day to kill sightseeing. We will need to be at the airport for our 8:30 pm flight. Any suggestions on a tour guide? Thanks in advance

We are hoping that the ship will offer some sort of tour and drop off at the airport, but no one seems to know anything yet.

We are hoping that the ship will offer some sort of tour and drop off at the airport, but no one seems to know anything yet.

ok I contacted someone who wants $400 now.....YIKEs....for tour and airport drop off.

Am being scammed I'm afraid or else it's OLYMPIC madness.:eek:

We are also looking for a tour & airport drop off after we get to Rio. If you hear or one, please let us know. Thanks, Steve & Paulette, cabin 10272

..... it's OLYMPIC madness....

.....which was well tested during the World Cup. Everybody selling any service or product knows exactly what the market will bear. Your "eeek" makes little impression; they all know now that someone will step up with money to pay what they are charging.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Since this is a charter it seems difficult to start a roll call. Someone in our group is looking into it. I guess we can chat here until then. Looking forward to 11 straight days at sea (that will be my record) Should be an interesting cast of characters. It seems that this is chartered by the US Olympic committee. Don't know why people were invited at the last minute. Booked a suite at these prices. Don't know how full the ship might be. Look forward to meeting you all. More to follow. Bruce

We are looking for a tour

WE are using dobrazilright for our upcoming pre cruise in Rio. Marcelo is wonderful and responds quickly to all questions. I checked him out with a TA in Florida and he gave him great reviews. He might be able to help you. Good Luck.

We found inflated prices when the Olympics were in London but right before the start the prices came down considerably.

Edited by Bobocasey

WE are using dobrazilright for our upcoming pre cruise in Rio. Marcelo is wonderful and responds quickly to all questions. I checked him out with a TA in Florida and he gave him great reviews.

It's interesting how certain people come to the attention of travel forum users, zero recognition factor to super popular (overwhelmingly more popular/trendy than a one person business can handle sometimes) in just a few posts.

About 3 years ago, this guy was mentioned on the TA Brazil forum by one poster as someone who had gotten him reasonably priced tickets for Carnaval. It happened iirc to be the same year one of the longtime popular major ticket outlets had a number of problems with delivery. So the following year, when the never-been-to-Carnaval newbies started inquiring, shying away from the large agency that had always been reliable as if the problems might continue (which they did not), the original cheerleader posted his experience again. And now, the world of travel forums and their readers knows Marcelo and DoBrazilRight. Last Carnaval season, there were even posts indicating that his popularity had caught up with him, as it has in the past with other individuals, and he too had problems delivering what was promised. Not the first, not the last.

Since we aren't using him in Carnival season and I had read the problems with carnival tickets I am aware of your statement. Since I currently have the booking numbers with the hotels in questions and have contacted them to confirm in fact we have a reservation, i also have confirmation and e tickets for flights to Iguassu falls through this agency. I was just suggesting to try him . Since the poster seemed to be having difficulty finding a day tour and transportation to the airport. I was just speaking to the fact that I had checked him out and he might be worth a try. Ultimately a decisions to use or not use an agency is up to each individual person.

• 5 weeks later...