Upgrading to non-accessible suite

mamasylvia

Just gathering information here ...

4 of us are booked in an accessible aft balcony mini-suite on the Norwegian Pearl for this May. I would be perfectly happy to sail in this room but it will be rather cramped for 4 of us. AFAIK, the only higher-level rooms are suites and Haven, and not flagged "accessible."

However, if I do get the email to bid on a higher-level room, I'm wondering if the increased size and features would make it usable for me. Have any of you sailed in suites or Haven? Were you able to get around even without it being considered accessible?

I have a folding scooter with a quite small wheelbase - would probably fit through a standard cabin doorway. My wheelchair is much wider (34" I think) but folds and I can walk enough to get through the doorway and let DH fold the wheelchair and get it through the door. I can't do stairs so of course the penthouse suite is out, and I would really be torn if an otherwise suitable suite had the step up to the bathroom. Low toilets are also out.

If anyone has experiences they would like to share about staying in a non-accessible suite, it would help me decide whether I will try to upgrade or not.

A friend of mine stayed in a Haven on the Pearl. The problems she encountered was that recalls it having a step up into the bathroom. The toilet was a separate little room with door making it awkward to use a walker. The shower was small and had no shower seat or grab bars.

Made do but said she'd personally will never book a non-accessible suite again. Depending on your personal needs and if you don't require the use of walker in the cabin it might be doable. Certainly is a very nice suite based on the floor plan

Also told me she the some of the non-accessible suites other than the Haven had a shower/tub combo which wouldn't work for her.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Why did you book an accessible suite? Generally they have a roll in shower area, there is room for a scooter and they are a bit larger. So what do you get with a "higher" room. Perhaps smaller, it's still going to be cramped with 4 folks. Odds are you will have more room in an accessible cabin.

No, I've compared the square footage. The smallest suite (Penthouse Courtyard) is only a little larger than the mini-suite, but the rest are larger still. And the butler and concierge and special restaurants would be nice, but not at the cost of winding up in a suite I couldn't get around. Which is why I started this thread, to gain information.

I have to have an accessible cabin for room to keep my scooter, no step up to the bathroom, no barrier to getting in the shower (I couldn't step over the side of a tub, for instance), and a toilet seat at least 17" from the floor.

You're generally not going to find a bathroom without a step up into it, a barrier free shower as well a higher toilet in a non-accessible suite regardless of the cruise line or ship despite it being the same square footage or larger than an accessible cabin.

NCL's Pearl non-accessible Penthouse Suites have a tub/shower combo only.

Perhaps you're not aware that NCL posts floor plans of its cabins for each ship on it's website.

Here's the link for the Penthouse Floor Plan

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/MI.PEARL_.PENTHOUSE_LARGE_BALCONY_SF.R.FP_.jpg

Edited by xxoocruiser

I know what accessible cabins are like. I'm trying to learn what suites and Haven (which ALL lack the "accessible" designation) are like, to evaluate whether I could use one or not.

2 weeks ago we were on the Conquest in a Ocean Suite The room size is perfect with a scooter. Although it will only accommodate 3, we would have had plenty room for 4. But that bathroom was a killer. There was a step up. Thet doesn't give me a problem at this point. But I'm sure I would win the $10,000 prize on Funniest Home Videos if they saw me trying to climb in the tub. I took a small plastic and metal foldable seat to use in the shower. It fit perfectly and using the hand held shower unit I was able to shower daily. Getting back out would have won me another $10,000.

I would keep the room you have. Accessable rooms are never available when we book because we always book at the last minute. Good luck with your decision.

Is Conquest a Norwegian ship? I don't think I've ever heard of it.

Yeah, a step into the bathroom in any category would be a deal-killer for that category.

Where did you get the folding shower seat? I've actually thought about buying a shower chair at the Seattle Walmart to take on the cruise, then leave it on the ship rather than take it home afterwards. Still not sure I won't.

We did this last year on the Breakaway. We moved from the accessible Courtyard Penthouse to the Haven 2 Bedroom Family Villa. Mom used a walker inside the cabin as you will find that there is no "turn around" space for scooter or wheelchair.

Last year I was looking at European cruises for me and my sister (my sister requires an accessible cabin). I was looking at non-accessible suites on several cruise lines and most of the suites had shower/tub combinations, a step to get into the bathroom from the room, as well as a step to get out to the balcony. These were just "regular" suites and not Penthouse or Haven (out of price range).

My sister uses a collapsible scooter so a regular cabin would serve us just fine, EXCEPT that the bathroom accessibility would be a deal breaker for her. A bathtub and steps would never work. Have you contacted the NCL Access office to confirm the details of the exact cabin you're interested in booking?

Thanks for the responses. I don't have a specific category in mind, just trying to be prepared so I don't wind up bidding on something unsuitable. I was hoping to avoid having to call the Accessible Desk and asking about every single suite and Haven category :( Wish they had accessible info on the website, other than just the accessible icon!

jpcello, I've looked at the deck plans for the Pearl and the master bathrooms all have a separate walk-in shower, so that doesn't look like a problem.

Thanks for the responses. I don't have a specific category in mind, just trying to be prepared so I don't wind up bidding on something unsuitable. I was hoping to avoid having to call the Accessible Desk and asking about every single suite and Haven category :( Wish they had accessible info on the website, other than just the accessible icon!

jpcello, I've looked at the deck plans for the Pearl and the master bathrooms all have a separate walk-in shower, so that doesn't look like a problem.

Be advised the showers in non-accessible cabins regardless of the category on the Pearl are not true walk-in showers as they don't have a zero threshold entrance. Instead the shower is a step- in shower with a 4"-6" edge to step over to get in/out of the shower. Only accessible cabins have a true walk-in shower.