Insulin Storage on Board

10th Hole Slice

This post first appeared on the Holland America board. I thought it would be useful for those who must travel with a supply of insulin. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2088428&page=83 [see Post # 1660].

Gloria - HAL does NOT recommend that you keep meds in the fridge in your room as they do not guarantee the temperatures. A regular ocean view room does not have a fridge but you can rent one - but I recommend against that.

I also travel with temperature sensitive meds and always have them stored the medical facility as they monitor the temps of the fridges. I just put them into a zip bag, add my name and cabin number to the bag and they store them. Also do the same to the freezer packs and they will put those in the freezer for me so it is ready to go when it is time to disembark. The medical facility opens at 8 am on most days and stays open until about 6-7 each evening, with an hour break for lunch. Have asked the staff if they could open early one day as we had a 1st off tour to the pyramids and one of the nurses opened up at 7 for me to get my meds.

Please reconsider keeping your meds in the room fridge as we have had soda freeze in 1 fridge - it was a mess!

If it's really important that they be kept at a certain temp, then the medical facility is the way to go, but we were on a 15 day HAL cruise and I kept my insulin there as instructed. It was a major pain. At least 75% of the time we went to get it, they were closed, out on a call, etc. Other times they were open, but we had to sit and wait until someone was available to go get it. I fully understand that people with urgent medical needs take priority, but this was almost every time. Last but not least, we were waiting - quite a long time because the nurse was involved with a patient that had been brought in and then suddenly he coded. We left so give them room to work, but they had the medical facility closed for several hours and I wasn't able to get my insulin or eat. I went several times and was sent away. I finally had to get an officer involved to go retrieve it for me. I had them get all of it and I took my chances with the room fridge from then on.

Edited by Host Walt

How about taking an insulated folding cooler? Mine looks like a big purse. Have the room steward fill it every day and store your meds there. Mine keeps ice for a good 12 hours. I have them fill it twice a day.

My friend keeps hers in the room fridge. Its always very cold.

I was comfortable with the room fridge after my experience. I think ice would actually be too cold but I'm not familiar with the storage requirements of all of the different pens and vials. I think they all vary somewhat.

All I know is that it was a miserable experience having to constantly go to the med facility. It's possible that other ships or cruises might not have the same issues as we did on that trip.

Personally I would never leave any medication out of my site when traveling and that included the Medical Dept. on board a cruise ship.

Cruised many years with a medication that required refrigeration. Packed all of it inside a ziplock bag than placing it another ziplock bag. Requested an extra ice bucket with ice. Placed the bag in the ice bucket and than into the fridge/cooler. Simple and never had an issue it.

It is not necessary to refrigerate insulin as long as you keep it at room temperature. Avoid having it at temperatures above 80F for prolonged periods of time. Should be no problem in a regular cruise ship cabin without being refrigerated. I am a retired nurse, and we did not refrigerate our insulin given to our inpatients at the hospital.

It is not necessary to refrigerate insulin as long as you keep it at room temperature. Avoid having it at temperatures above 80F for prolonged periods of time. Should be no problem in a regular cruise ship cabin without being refrigerated. I am a retired nurse, and we did not refrigerate our insulin given to our inpatients at the hospital.

Perhaps the storage is different for different types of insulin. I would imagine it is gone through pretty quickly in a hospital. I was very distinctly given instructions on how to store it by both my MD and the dispensing pharmacist as well as instructions on how to warm it before dispensing. Also, it was a long cruise so I had quite a lot of insulin with me.

I've traveled with meds that had to be kept cold and have never had issues on the ship keeping it in my fridge. The only time I can remember that we didn't have a fridge, I told the room steward that I had meds to keep cold. He took them to the medical center and brought them to me every day at the same time. He would even remind me when it was time to take them! I wish that I could remember what ship that was on but I think that it was a Holland America trans Atlantic.

Several people have posted about a special cooling bag that re-charges by soaking it in water. I've never tried it but they swear by it.

• 3 weeks later...
I've heard very good feedback on FRIO. http://www.frioinsulincoolingcase.com/index.html

I don't take insulin, but have to take an injection. The shots I've traveled with can be used for up to 14 days without refrigeration.

We have this bag and it works great. My husband has to take an injection once a week so when we are gone for three weeks, we usually have to take either three or four shots depending on departure/return days. I use this bag to transport and then use the ship's fridge once onboard. I've only had one time where the fridge was a problem. Thankfully, it was his last shot and we were headed home. it all worked out as the shot could be at room temperature for up to 14 days so when the fridge broke it was okay.

• 2 weeks later...