MS Amsterdam - Aft Cabin 7055

Traveler27

Looking to see if anyone has had Aft cabin 7055 on the Amsterdam. Would love to see photos of the inside of the cabin as well as one looking out to see how much is obstructed by the stairway.

I would be very interested in experiences and opinions of this cabin. I will be doing the 14 day Alaska roundtrip out of Seattle in July. Thanks in advance!!

We had the sister cabin, 7056, for our first 14 day Alaska itinerary in 2010 - it is a spectacular location and despite the odd configuration of the cabin itself, we loved it and would book either 7056 or 7055 in a heartbeat. Location is perfect - literally five steps out your cabin door to the little used public aft deck for amazing wake views. We felt like that deck was our own private balcony and were often out there all day long with no one else. Our friends sailed in 7055 on that same trip and they were not bothered by the stairs going up to the Lido past their window. The stairs are open as is the railing on that aft deck, so you certainly can see without too much of an impediment. We loved the easy access up the stairs to the aft Lido and Seaview Bar. There were plenty of loungers on that aft deck which we used every day. Snagged several deck blankets from the boxes on the Lido deck which we kept in our cabin for specific use on the loungers.

With the beds put together (instead of singles), we had a clear path to the window in our cabin, since the bed's headboard was on the side wall, instead of under the window itself. There is a small niche in the cabin behind the bathroom wall - sort of an "L" shape, that contained a wall mounted coat rack, a small end table with a lamp with a portion of the loveseat tucked back in there. We found it was the perfect place to 'stage' our gear for port days. Used the wall coat rack to hang our hoodies and rain coats, as well as our backpack which was filled w/camera, binoculars, bottled water, and extra sweatshirts for our excursions. We'd get up in the morning, head up to the Lido for an early breakfast, and then grab our gear from the cabin and go. Simple.

The Navigation Deck is so quiet, with very little foot traffic since it is mostly verandah cabins. The overhand of that aft deck is perfect for Alaska scenic viewing in all types of weather, and we found that it afforded us wind/rain free viewing during the liquid sunshine that often accompanies an Alaskan cruise.

I've sailed this 14 day itinerary three times and would go again in a heartbeat - it is fantastic. And either of these two cabins would be first on my list to score for this itinerary (or truthfully any itinerary on the Amsterdam - love that ship!) I'm sure I've got photos of our cabin and the aft deck somewhere, and will see if I can find them and somehow post them here - no promises though, I'm not very savvy when it comes to posting photos on this board - LOL!

Congrats on your pick of this special cabin. Don't worry about the stairs blocking your view, it is really a non-issue. Besides, you'll be out on your private 'balcony' more often than not, won't you? :)

• Like 1

Blue Ribbon Cruiser .... Thanks so much for the great reply. Excited my experience will match yours. Look forward to the pics you might find. I have been to Alaska numerous times but the right spot on the ship makes a big difference. Thanks again!

Maggietessa, I too, will be on the July 3rd sailing.

Fabulous photos.... Thank you SO MUCH!!! Think I am going to be very happy with the back deck. Very nice having the bed parallel with the window.

The only problem now is keeping these rooms secret from all except the small cult who love them. If everyone realizes how good they are, we will have a waiting list! [emoji848][emoji1][emoji56]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm with you, Cruiseforfood - those are sweet cabins on both the Amsterdam and the Volendam, and I would book either of the four on both ships any chance I got!

Thanx for sharing the photos - 7086 on the Volendam is the exact replica of cabin 7056 on the Amsterdam. See the little 'nook' for lack of a better word, behind the wall of the bathroom with the portion of the loveseat and the end table? That is where we staged our gear for the next day's excursion - worked perfectly! Brought back great memories looking at the photos.

To the OP - you won't be disappointed with the cabin 7055 and certainly not with the near perfect location. Have a wonderful sail on the lovely Amsterdam, my favorite Dam ship of them all!

• 3 months later...

We are in 7083 on the Volendam. How do we get a pair of deck chairs down there for ourselves? Ask our cabin steward? I don't think they're down there as a matter of course, are they?

The only concern I have about a forward or aft cabin are rough seas - I've been on a treadmill in the forward gym before in rough seas and you quite literally go weightless one minute and it's like climbing a hill the next minute. I can only imagine that in a bed you'd be basically off the mattress one minute and then slammed back down into it.