Quality of Gluten Free Bread & Pizza Crust

HokieDeb

Is the same gluten free recipe for bread and pizza crust used on all the Carnival ships? On our last Carnival cruise in June 2016 on the Sunshine, the gluten free pizza crust and bread tasted horrible. This was surprising to us because on the Miracle in 2014, we loved the gluten free pizzas and bread. I’d like to know if Carnival has improved on the quality of these two items - especially before our cruise on the Breeze in December. Thanks

My experience with gf bread on Carnival has been hit or miss. The bread at the deli was good. The bread in the dining room was not good, in my opinion. When I asked for gf pizza, they made me a whole pizza! WAY more than I could eat, it wasn't great and no one would eat it with me. Not sure what the answer is . . . I always give the bread a try, but can easily skip it. I usually get a burger at Guys with no bun. I prefer it that way. I wish I was more helpful, but this has been my experience.

The gluten free bread is probably the same as you had before. The bread in the Deli is better because it's toasted. Ask them to make it well toasted. I no longer eat the GF bread in any venue other than the Deli. I am Celiac but "trace" amounts don't bother me. Be careful with the toasted bread because they use the same toaster as they do for regular bread. If you cannot tolerate trace amounts of cross contamination then stay away from it.

There was a change in pizza crusts a while ago and they are definitely better. They are thin crust and not bad at all. There is also a chance of cross contamination with the pizza. They are cooked in the same oven and though they say they are prepared in their own area I have watched them prepare them in the same area as the regular pizzas.

The taste of the bread is my own opinion. Your opinion may differ.

Take care,

Mike

Omg!! This is going to make my husband so happy!! He's a pizza lover!! We didn't think they even had gluten free pizza at all! On our honeymoon cruise in 2012 (maybe they didn't have it back then, although they were awesome in the dining room with all his GF needs) he asked the pizza guy if they had gluten free and they guys' response to him was "yeah, it's free!" LOL!!! After that he dropped it

The gluten free bread is probably the same as you had before. The bread in the Deli is better because it's toasted. Ask them to make it well toasted. I no longer eat the GF bread in any venue other than the Deli. I am Celiac but "trace" amounts don't bother me. Be careful with the toasted bread because they use the same toaster as they do for regular bread. If you cannot tolerate trace amounts of cross contamination then stay away from it.

It is not about being able to tolerate it. If someone has Celiac Disease then gluten does damage their body (intestines, etc.) regardless of any reaction. Are you endoscopy diagnosed by a doctor?

My experience with gf bread on Carnival has been hit or miss. The bread at the deli was good. The bread in the dining room was not good, in my opinion. When I asked for gf pizza, they made me a whole pizza! WAY more than I could eat, it wasn't great and no one would eat it with me. Not sure what the answer is . . . I always give the bread a try, but can easily skip it. I usually get a burger at Guys with no bun. I prefer it that way. I wish I was more helpful, but this has been my experience.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I do hope there are improvements to both the gf bread and gf pizza crust. If not, I’ll be okay. I don’t think I’ve ever starved on a cruise. :cool:

There was a change in pizza crusts a while ago and they are definitely better. They are thin crust and not bad at all. There is also a chance of cross contamination with the pizza. They are cooked in the same oven and though they say they are prepared in their own area I have watched them prepare them in the same area as the regular pizzas.

The taste of the bread is my own opinion. Your opinion may differ.

Take care,

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I will have to try the deli bread. I don’t think that was an option on my last cruise 2 years ago. (Or maybe it was and I avoided it bc the gf bread was inedible then.) I’ve also been diagnosed with Celiac (positive biopsy) and thankfully, do not have a super sensitive reaction if I eat food that’s been cross contaminated.

Hopefully Carnival’s culinary team will step up their gluten-free options and provide tasty alternatives for gf bread and pizza crusts.:confused: