What software to burn digital images to DVD?

Have thousands of digital images on my hard drive.

However cannot locate computer software to "burn" those digital images onto an unformatted DVD disc.

Have XP for my operating system.

Would appreciate any and all suggestions as to the best computer software package that will both format and "burn" digital images to an unformatted DVD disc.

Thanks in advance.

steambotin- When you say you "cannot locate computer software" are you referring to the origninal software that came with your computer or DVD burner? If you bought the computer with a DVD burner then you most likely there is software loaded on your computer and if you bought the burner separate then it came with DVD burning software. I agree with mountainhouse that Roxio and Nero are the most popular but with popularity comes cost.

Nonetheless here is a link to a site called Videohelp.com. I specifically did a search for DVD Authoring and here is a list of both paid and free software you can use.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=2#2

Don

Picasa from Google, it's free and quite easy to use. ;)

I agree. This is a good basic editor which is easy to use and it allows backing up to CD/DVD and creating slideshows of your pictures. I have taught this program to seniors and even those people with limited computer experience could understand the progarm. It is also good enough to do some quite sophistocated editing. You can't edit out unwanted things in the pictures though (no cloning tool). It's not PhotoShop but it is enough for many people.

Judy, I'm anxiuosly awaiting when Picasa upgrades with the capability of adding sound (music) to ones slide shows. I'll never forget when I first installed the program, it found many, many pictures on my hard drive that I forgot I had. For me it's simple to use, just the way I like it. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought ProShow Gold after seeing a slideshow that another member did of his Alaska pics with it. It is really, really nice and you can quickly make a terrific slideshow on DVD once you get the hang of it. I think it was $50 or $60 but well worth it.

• 1 month later...

I totally agree with Proshow gold option, we downloaded it online for 50 or 60 bucks, a trial is free and they do have upgrades available for more. We have made many dvd's for family gifts and graduations presents. Have fun, it is like being your own producer!

Marcia:)

• 3 weeks later...
Have thousands of digital images on my hard drive.

However cannot locate computer software to "burn" those digital images onto an unformatted DVD disc.

Have XP for my operating system.

Would appreciate any and all suggestions as to the best computer software package that will both format and "burn" digital images to an unformatted DVD disc.

Thanks in advance.

I've used a number of different products . But always have come back to Roxio.

For the cost it can do most this things that I need . This includes photos and creating DVD .Also does video capture and produce video/pictures with sound for both DVD and VCD(video CD-rom)

Depends if you want to play the DVD in a stand alone DVD player, and if that DVD player is jpeg compatible. Or are you just looking to back up the images onto DVD?

If you're just backing up, use windows explorer in XP ... just drag and drop them onto the DVD drive in My Computer and burn away.

If you want to create a show, ProShow Gold is the way to go. I've tried a bunch of slideshow software including ProShow Producer (the professional version of ProShow) and Gold wins out over every one. Its simple and incredibly powerful.

There's some good info. here.... Haven't heard of the pro show gold.... Will check it out..... But does anyone know if the Windows Movie Maker will burn onto a DVD? I have done a CD but that only plays in a computer..... I want to make my own little movie of diving and then burn it on a DVD that can be played on the tv, computer, etc......It wouldn't be video footage but camera photos and then drag/drop into the movie maker.......Any info. would be appreciated....

But does anyone know if the Windows Movie Maker will burn onto a DVD? I have done a CD but that only plays in a computer..... I want to make my own little movie of diving and then burn it on a DVD that can be played on the tv, computer, etc......It wouldn't be video footage but camera photos and then drag/drop into the movie maker.......Any info. would be appreciated....

My son has burned video to a DVD thru Windows Movie Maker so I would think that photos should burn also. I dont know how to post a link but if you will do a google search using "windows moviemaker dvd" the first site that comes up should be what you need. (Its a Microsoft page) If you cant find it let me know and I will figure out how to post the link. Hope this helps

Thanks for the info. etsumom..... I ended up buying the Roxio as it was part of my sonic now record.... I have to say to the folks who recommended it, as of right now, it is awful.... I spent 5 hours tonight just trying to import photos.... And I'm not computer challenged... I'm pretty good at figuring these things out.. But it doubled, tripled and quadrupled the photos I tried to import... So I spent hours getting rid of the duplicates.... It froze my computer twice.... And I don't usually have those problems..... So I'm not impressed so far.... I should have checked into the Pro Show Gold...... :cool:

• 5 weeks later...

I use Google's Picasa2 to keep track of 40,000+ images on my system. It has a backup utility that will burn to CD or DVD, giving you an estimate of discs needed beforehand. It also tracks in it's database which photos you've already backed up and allows you to append new files to your backup set without re-doing the whole thing.

Great captioning and touch-up tools too!

Dave

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
It also tracks in it's database which photos you've already backed up and allows you to append new files to your backup set without re-doing the whole thing.

Great captioning and touch-up tools too!

Dave

Now, Dave, if you could explain to me in lay person terms how to get Picasa to stop doing that whole back up thing every single time, I would be very thankful and would give it another shot. I gave up on it after everytime I went in it it was scrolling through every image on my entire hard drive time and time again...

Archived