Can I Leave The Cruise One Day Early?

cruiserr

This summer several members of my family are doing the 10 day Baltic cruise aboard the Star Princess. On day 9 of the 10-day cruise we dock in Copenhagen and spend the night in Copenhagen, with the cruise actually ending the next morning. For logistical reasons one member of our party is hoping to end his cruise one day early, and fly out of Copenhagen on the day we arrive in Copenhagen. Does anyone know whether this is possible?

I can't imagine why this would not be possible. Give the cruise line a ring and explain the situation. I have heard of passengers leaving cruises one or two days early for many different reasons.

Marge M

I agree.

You'll have to pay for all the trip, of course, but providing they know what is going on I can't see they will have a problem at all.

Matthew

Yes, you can. You will be asked to fill out a form (of course!), so the cruise line can explain to Customs and Immigration. I was going to do this last year on Celebrity, filled out the form, changed my mind, went to the Purser's Desk to cancel leaving early, and when I re-boarded after sight-seeing, was told I wasn't supposed to be there! It took a few minutes for them to verify that I had cancelled the plans to leave. So, be sure you make a copy of the filled-in form, and try to verify they all understand who the person is who's leaving--especially if the last name is the same as yours.

Happy Cruising

For this particular situation, I would have thought that it would be dead easy. After all, the person would be disembarking at the scheduled end port of the cruise, just leaving the ship the same evening as the ship's physical arrival rather than the following morning. The ship will be cleared as soon as she arrives, so I can't imagine there will be any problem at all with this.

Things can be a little more complex if you have to get off at an earlier port. But that is not this situation.

We did this very thing on the Star Princess in Copenhagen in June 2005. We had made other plans and had to leave the ship within one to two hours after it docked in Copenhagen on the afternoon before the cruise officially ended the next morning. We simply told the front desk and they noted our early departure. There just so happened to be a taxi waiting at the port exit when we made our way down the gang plank....we made it to the airport in about 25 mintues with plenty of time to spare

In August, we left the Star Princess in Oslo and spent several days in Norway before flying home. Needed to prearrange with Princess (in writing). Simple to do. Went to the purser's desk the night before just to confirm and make arrangements to get our luggage off the ship. Norway was the high light of our trip.

I have friends on my British Isles cruise this summer who have already contacted Princess to "leave early" at Le Havre.....one day before final destintation of Southampton. They want to stay in Paris for 2-3 days before heading home. Not a problem at all for Princess when they called them.

Be Aware!!!!!!

We did this 2 years ago on our Tahitian Princess cruise. Got off on Moorea instead of going back to Tahiti, as we had hotel reservations in Moorea and thought going back to Tahiti on day 10 and then taking a ferry back to Moorea, 30 minutes away, was silly.

We paid for a 10 day cruise and received a $200 credit. When we were ready to disembark in Moorea, we were advised that since it was now a 9 day cruise, our credit was reduced to $100. No amount of discussion would change their mind. Talked with purser and Captain's Circle representative to no avail. Princess was happy to take my money for a 10 day cruise but quibbled over $100. Pretty cheap. I haven't booked a Princess Cruise since.

In retrospect, I believe my error was bringing my early departure to the attention of the Princess staff before I got onboard. Like you, I was concerned about leaving the ship early, but on what authority can Princess hold you on board against your will? I suggest you just go to the Purser on the 9th day, ask for a bill, pay it and take your bags to the gangway. The security officer will likely call the Purser to insure you have paid all bills and should let you pass.

Archived