Casa De Campo Excursions for 1st timers

MillbrookMom

Our family of four is going on the Dec. RCCL Explorer cruise and we are looking for ideas on excursions at this port.....we don't want to break the bank....we just want something do do while we are there. We don't want anything related to shopping.

Any suggestions (btw we are 2 adults and 2 boys 9 and 11)

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Casa de Campo, Dominican Republic

1:00pm to 11:00pm. We docked at the pier in La Romana. You have an opportunity to purchase a number of excursions or take a shuttle, provided gratis by Celebrity, to Altos de Chavon and Casa de Campo Resort. Altos de Chavon is a recreation of a medieval Spanish village with cobblestone streets. It's an interesting stroll, but not of interest to kids. Casa de Campo is a 7,000 acre resort. The shuttle took you to the marina where there are shops and restaurants. During the Port Talk, we were encouraged to visit the marina after dinner. Unfortunately, it closes at 7:00pm.

We chose to take the Bayahibe Beach Break excursion at a cost of $44 per person. An air conditioned tour bus took us to the Sunscape Casa del Mar La Romana Resort. This is a very nice all-inclusive resort on Bayahibe Beach, about 30 minutes drive from the ship. The excursion included transportation, beach lounge chairs, use of the resort beach and pool, and access to the open bars. This is an excellent facility for families. There is a big white sand beach and lots of shade. Food and watercraft are available at a small additional charge. The large pool has a 12-foot tall tethered floating "Iceberg" climbing wall/slide that the kids couldn't get enough of. We got hit by a late afternoon downpour, but it didn't dampen the fun. I do recommend it. We felt secure at all times. When you've got an excursion like this available, I do not recommend staying on the ship.

We would have done the Bayahibe Beach excursion on our own, but we couldn't get any enough information on the Ports of Call thread to feel comfortable about it. Let me remedy that right now. You can do this on your own, and you shouldn't hesitate. At the port, it is easy to arrange for your own transportation to Bayahibe Beach. (A fellow passenger arranged for a van for their group of ten for $10 per person. They got roundtrip transportation to Bayahibe Beach and the driver even waited for them for 3 hours while they enjoyed the beach). If you don't need the resort facilities, you can access and use the beach just East of the resort.

You can do the Sunscape Casa del Mar La Romana Resort on a Day Pass, which would be great if you arrive in the morning. A day pass runs $50 per person (less for children under 11), from 10:30pm until 5:30pm It includes unlimited drinks, food, and access to non-motorized watercraft, snorkel gear, beach chairs --- pretty much the works! The resort personnel are extremely friendly. Shirley Sánchez, the Chief Concierge, is very good at answering any questions you may have via email. A taxi for 4 should run in the $30 to $35 range each way. If the driver doesn't stay, the resort will get call a taxi for your return trip to the pier.

Complete details:

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/millennium.html

• 2 weeks later...

You stated that the Bayahibe Beach Break included access to an open bar. I'm considering booking this through RCCL and there is no mention of anything other than transportation to the resort. Which cruise line did you book this with? I just want to make sure that for $44 per person, we get more than just a bus ride. Thanks!

Casa de Campo, Dominican Republic

We chose to take the Bayahibe Beach Break excursion at a cost of $44 per person. An air conditioned tour bus took us to the Sunscape Casa del Mar La Romana Resort. This is a very nice all-inclusive resort on Bayahibe Beach, about 30 minutes drive from the ship. The excursion included transportation, beach lounge chairs, use of the resort beach and pool, and access to the open bars. This is an excellent facility for families. There is a big white sand beach and lots of shade. Food and watercraft are available at a small additional charge. The large pool has a 12-foot tall tethered floating "Iceberg" climbing wall/slide that the kids couldn't get enough of. We got hit by a late afternoon downpour, but it didn't dampen the fun. I do recommend it. We felt secure at all times. When you've got an excursion like this available, I do not recommend staying on the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

Let me start off by saying besides being a cruiser.. we are MAJOR fans of this resort and just spent a week there in February...Considering it includes your transportation and if you can get there in the a.m. it's a steal.. Besides the beach there are two pools.. one being the new Infinity Pool and the other being the older pool right outside the main building.. The staff is incredible (we've been there 7 times)..if it includes food food or an open bar.. it's even better.. If you have kids there is a huge trampoline in the ocean which is warmer than the pools.. in the older pool there is an "iceberg" for kids to climb on and jump in.. If you need more information please write me..you could get a taxi and go directly to the village...and find a beach (btw) there is a new bathroom on the beach next to the Infinity Pool..which would be much less parrotmom@verizon..net

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if it is still offered, however, we were there in 2004 on a Carnival cruise that stayed until late in the evening. We went to one of the most beatiful beaches I've ever been too, Catalina Island which is a short boat ride from the port. That evening we booked the "Kandela" show at Casa de Campo. This is a native dancing show with fire, feathers, etc. It was held in an ampitheater within an old looking village (like a Disney type village). It was great and well worth the cost. If it is offered by the ship, jump on it early. The 2 tours we had on a small ship sold out quickly.

Rich M

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry to tell you that Sunscape Casa Del Mar was just sold...If your there for the evening be sure and see Kandela.. a L.V type show in a beautiful stone ampitheater.. If you there isn't any excursion for Casa del Mar...take a taxi into the village and ask to go to the beach

Our ship is going there. I am not a beach or pool person. Is there anything else to do or should I just stay on the ship?

Please don't stay on the ship.. take a taxi and go to downtown La Romana.. there is a lovely church and a zolca (park)..a guide will try to latch on to you..lol.. Go up the street to the flea market and the beautiful clean supermarket and you can buy the best coffee beans for a song, Santo Domingo (I buy 20 pounds), pure vanilla, Domincan cigars that rival Cuban they tell me and 151 proof rum.. If your a baseball fan there at the flea market you can buy all sorts of t-shirts and hats

I would NEVER stay on the ship, either...:rolleyes: We heard nitemarish stories about Costa Rica, and it was probably our favorite POC except for a 'day on the beach' in Mahahual, Costa Maya..:D

We are sailing to the DR in April 2008, and hope there are more reviews by then.. We will guarantee a review about whatever we do, and I'm sure it will be positive..:p

A 'BAD' (is there such a thing?) day on a cruise is better than any day at work!;)

Now,why would anybody have a bad time in Costa Rica...Costa Rica has a better literacy rate than the US. no army, and great medical care..and most everybody speaks english We have been there twice for a week and one time on a cruise ship where we hired a taxi to take us to Sarchi which USED to be a sleepy village..

Now,why would anybody have a bad time in Costa Rica...Costa Rica has a better literacy rate than the US. no army, and great medical care..and most everybody speaks english We have been there twice for a week and one time on a cruise ship where we hired a taxi to take us to Sarchi which USED to be a sleepy village..
Something to do with passengers on a non-ship excursion being mugged, and a former Marine inadvertently 'killing' one of the muggers... :eek: ;)

Wish I had been there to see it, but Costa Rica received a bunch of 'bad press' because of it... I wouldn't hesitate to go back! :)

Loved it!:p Hope to sail again on the Carnival Liberty on the same sailing...:D

Has anyone done the tour of Santo Domingo? Any comments would be appreciated!:D
DW and I are on the same cruise as Sunny AZ Girl, and are also interested in the 'Altos de Chavon and Mississippi Boat' tour, as well.:p

Wondering if there is anything to do near the pier where the EOS docks?? Shopping, walking tours, restaurants/bars?? :)

DW and I are on the same cruise as Sunny AZ Girl, and are also interested in the 'Altos de Chavon and Mississippi Boat' tour, as well.:p

Wondering if there is anything to do near the pier where the EOS docks?? Shopping, walking tours, restaurants/bars?? :)

Dave - I understand that there is a little 'recreated village' near the port that is a reproduction of a typical Mediterranean town from the past. I have read that it has some (expensive) shops. Some people have said it takes about an hour to go through. I'll bet Denise & I could spend more time than that there!;)

I suppose I could look it up, but where does RCI dock in the DR? I'm guessing the International Tourist Pier in La Romana...:p

There are three places that ships dock, tho' the EOS may need the biggest of the three! ;)

Maybe 'Dad' and I could go on an excursion and leave you and D at the little 'village' to shop..:eek:

Not much on this port. I'm surprised more people arent posting what they saw and did here. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreicated.
I agree! Seems odd, as I'm sure we have ships going there..!!

RCI has 10 shore excursions listed on their site, but not much in the way of reviews/recommendations..:rolleyes: :)

'Mom', I'm leaving my wallet and CC's at home..! :D

I agree! Seems odd, as I'm sure we have ships going there..!!

RCI has 10 shore excursions listed on their site, but not much in the way of reviews/recommendations..:rolleyes: :)

'Mom', I'm leaving my wallet and CC's at home..! :D

I also checked out what they have on RCI not many choices. Well all i can do is keep looking.

I like that your leaving your wallet and CC's at home (very smart of you).. How does your mom feel about that?

I like that your leaving your wallet and CC's at home (very smart of you).. How does your mom feel about that?

I'm Stlboo's "Mom". (Please note parenthesis:eek:;) ) I don't think that leaving his wallet & credit cards at home would go very far with his DW. I'm calling her before we leave to double check & make sure they weren't 'forgotten'!:cool:

Back on topic - I think we may have to wait until the EOS starts going to this port on a regular basis to find out more about it & get reviews. I think the itinerary begins in October.

I'm Stlboo's "Mom". (Please note parenthesis:eek:;) ) I don't think that leaving his wallet & credit cards at home would go very far with his DW. I'm calling her before we leave to double check & make sure they weren't 'forgotten'!:cool:

Back on topic - I think we may have to wait until the EOS starts going to this port on a regular basis to find out more about it & get reviews. I think the itinerary begins in October.

Ok i did some homework on the port looks like the 1st EOS sailing to go there will be 10/26, then the 11/23. I was reading on the boards for those 2 cruises and there having the same problem as the rest of us. Not much info yet. Im going to post a message on their boards to see if maybe they would be so kind to post things they saw and did when they return from their cruise.

Archived