Blu/AquaClass

ccod

We would like to book an AC cabin on Solstice but cannot get a straight answer from Celebrity about Blu. Is it exclusively for AC cabins and above or can any else dine there, subject to availabilty? If yes, is there a charge?

Blu is the assigned dining room for Aqua Class only. There are two seatings just like the main dining room. Aqua class will not be assigned to the main dining room.

Others can dine there on a space available basis for a fee. Aqua class only has 130 cabins with a 2 person maximum per cabin. Blu only seats 130. So if Aqua Class is at full capacity and all those passengers dine at Blu on a given nite, there should be no tables for anyone else.

We would like to book an AC cabin on Solstice but cannot get a straight answer from Celebrity about Blu. Is it exclusively for AC cabins and above or can any else dine there, subject to availabilty? If yes, is there a charge?

Simple answer - no one REALLY knows. The answer you get today may change tomorrow or more likely after the first 3-5 sailings when 'operations in reality' rear their head.

It is my understanding that - yes - it is exclusively for AQ passengers and 'above'. In present incarnation, *I believe* Suite passengers need pay a cover charge. I believe are the operational words here. :)

Once Solstice has had a few sailings, how everything is working will be evalutated and things may change. Thus what is today *the policy* may not be tomorrow *the policy*.

What I'm wondering is -- why do you care? If you'd like to book AQ then do so. That will allow YOU to dine in Blu should & when you choose to. What difference does it make if someone else can pay a cover and dine there also? And that will only happen if AQ folks decide to dine elsewhere.

I'm sorry but I don't see the problem nor the point of the question. Perhaps you might further enlighten as to your concerns?

Since the initial announcement of the Solstice there were changes made in access to Blu that were announced at the July 8 Solstice preview party in Miami. So there has been some confusion for some people. This is the latest =X= policy:

• Blu is the assigned dining room for Aqua class pax
  • There is a 1st or 2nd seating just like the Main Dining Room
  • Dress code follows the Main Dining Room
  • Suite pax have access on a space-available basis
  • All other pax do not have access at any time

Hope this helps. :)

It's amazing how many threads have cropped up lately about Blu! :)

What I'm wondering is -- why do you care? If you'd like to book AQ then do so. That will allow YOU to dine in Blu should & when you choose to. What difference does it make if someone else can pay a cover and dine there also? And that will only happen if AQ folks decide to dine elsewhere.

I'm sorry but I don't see the problem nor the point of the question. Perhaps you might further enlighten as to your concerns?

I'm not speaking for the OP of course, but I can tell you why it matters to ME whether or not other pax can pay a cover and dine in Blu. (I explained this in another similar thread, but there are so many of them these days who can keep up. ;)) Anyway, one of my primary reasons for choosing AQ was the fact that it came with assigned seating in a specialty restaurant...one that everyone else has to pay $30 to dine in. (At least, that's how it was at the time I booked.) And when I looked at the amount of the premium for an AQ cabin vs. standard balcony, it was WAY less than $30 a night! So...what a bargain, I thought! I get to dine in a specialty restaurant that everyone else has to pay for...for almost nothing! And I get all those other AQ niceties to boot. (Which, to me, are less important than the dining benefit.)

You see, Celebrity is well-known for having some of the best dining at sea in its specialty restaurants, which seem to be retaining their outstanding quality and service even as there are ever more reports of a decline in the quality of the main dining room (MDR). Dining is a pretty crucial part of the cruise experience for me, and my theory is that if they are planning on charging everyone else $30 to dine in Blu, you would expect that it will offer a similar superlative experience as their other renowned specialty restaurants that charge a fee. Certainly, there has to be a value for that cover charge in order to entice the rest of the pax to dine there and pay that money - and one would expect that value would come in a higher quality of food and service, akin to the other specialty dining venues.

Now that they are no longer charging a cover to dine there - indeed, they don't even ALLOW other pax, except for suites, into Blu - that leads me to believe that it will NOT be of the same quality as the specialty restaurants. It will simply be another, smaller, exclusive MDR. So I have to say that, for me, it's a bit of a let-down to find out that there is now no cover charge for Blu.

I've been reminded by other AQ pax that there are other benefits to Blu - the small size (much preferable to me than dining with thousands), the fact that it's highly likely they'll be cooking to-order as opposed to churning out thousands of the same meals, as in the MDR, etc. And the fact that they are allowing suite pax leads some to speculate that it WILL be a step up from the MDR, in order to entice the suite pax to dine there at all. So I'm remaining optimistic. :)

Huh?:confused: Good grief!!!:mad: I care because I want to know what I'm booking. Your response was uncalled for and down right rude.

Thanks hajekfam, rolfemcs and Leejnd4, your answers were very helpful and we have booked 2 cruises in AQ class, one on Solstice and one on Equinox.

Hi,

Blu is the dnning venue for AQ class BUT it is open -pending space to others for a fee- I think $30 pp.

Carole

Blu is the dnning venue for AQ class BUT it is open -pending space to others for a fee- I think $30 pp.

Please note that Blu is only open to suite pax on a space-available basis. It is not open to any other pax at any price.

What I'm wondering is -- why do you care? If you'd like to book AQ then do so. I'm sorry but I don't see the problem nor the point of the question. Perhaps you might further enlighten as to your concerns?

HUH?

CCod, seems like a pretty logical question to me. I was wondering that too, especially since we are cruising with a large number of friends and family and we want to be able to dine with them even though we are in AQ. Seems like we won't be able to unless they also book AQ.

Leejnd4, thanks for your post. You always seem to provide good info for the rest of us. Thanks a bunch!

This is a good post. Thanks for this thread. I was wondering the same thing since I wanted to book a AQ class as well. The celebrity representative whom I have talk to said that the package might even include a free massage. He said that they are still deciding on a lot of things for the AQ class. But he said that Blu is only designated for AQ class. He added that things might change till Nov. but what's set for now will pretty much the way things will be.

I WISH ALL AQ CLASS people can get the free MASSAGE!!!!

wouldn't that be nice? :p

AquaClass Staterooms/Amenities:

• 130 double occupancy, Deck 11 forward and aft. Stateroom = 192 sq. ft. and veranda = 53 sq. ft.
  • Unlimited access to the AquaSpa relaxation room and Persian Garden (PG value of approx. $100/guest for 7N)
  • Guaranteed complimentary dining in Blu (with no additional suggested gratuity)
  • Hansgrohe shower panel
  • Frette robe and slippers; expanded personal care products incl. a spa kit (foot spray, lip balm, relaxation mist)
  • Complimentary bottled water and carafe of flavor-infused iced tea
  • Spa Concierge
  • Upgraded room service menu

• Blu – SR – “Clean cuisine;” designed exclusively for AquaClass guests (open to suites based on availability

I downloaded the Solstice-brochure today and it says "For those guests not traveling in AquaClass, reservations in Blu are bases on availability and will be subject to an additional pre-person charge".

Nothing mentioned about suite-pax.

I downloaded the Solstice-brochure today and it says "For those guests not traveling in AquaClass, reservations in Blu are bases on availability and will be subject to an additional pre-person charge". Nothing mentioned about suite-pax.

The brochure reflects the original policy on access to Blu but the changes that have been mentioned in the previous posts were announced at the Solstice preview party on July 8 in Miami. They have not update the brochure yet to reflect the fact that only suite pax will have access to Blu on a space-available basis. Please refer to this thread for more details: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=805402

This is a good post. Thanks for this thread. I was wondering the same thing since I wanted to book a AQ class as well. The celebrity representative whom I have talk to said that the package might even include a free massage. He said that they are still deciding on a lot of things for the AQ class. But he said that Blu is only designated for AQ class. He added that things might change till Nov. but what's set for now will pretty much the way things will be.

I WISH ALL AQ CLASS people can get the free MASSAGE!!!!

wouldn't that be nice? :p

Yes it would be very nice. Interesting how everyone seems to be getting different answers /information to their questions. The brochure seems to slim extras down from what we have been told. I have the feeling that AQ is still a work in progress. Still it looks great and DH & I can't wait. We saw the new TV commerical during the Olympics and got excited. Incidently Celebrity answered my question regarding in cabin internet. The supplied keyboard will NOT allow us interenet access for our e-mail- we must bring our own laptop to access in cabin internet.

Carole

I will keep my fingers crossed for a free massage; that would be a great perk! :)

I agree! I generally don't do spa services on ships, because the prices are just so outrageously high compared to what I pay for the same services at home. I just can't justify paying that much for something that I do pretty frequently anyway, for a fraction of the price - especially when the few times I have tried it, a large chunk of the time I was paying for ended up being used to try to sell me products I didn't want.

But I would LOVE to get one on Equinox - to have it included would be a pretty big perk! And I think it would really set this who AquaClass concept apart, and be a big selling point.

I agree! I generally don't do spa services on ships, because the prices are just so outrageously high compared to what I pay for the same services at home. I just can't justify paying that much for something that I do pretty frequently anyway, for a fraction of the price - especially when the few times I have tried it, a large chunk of the time I was paying for ended up being used to try to sell me products I didn't want.

They are expensive! I now only do a treatment if they offer a deep discount during the cruise. On my last cruise they offered all regular treatments at 50% off a few days into the cruise (guess they were not selling well). I also plan on future treatments to tell the person up front that I am not buying any prodcuts and do not wish to hear about any products. If that is not effective and they still give me the sales pitch, then no tip!

With 130 cabins, which means a possible 260 passengers, is it really possible to provide free massages over the course of 7 days to that many people. Are there enough hours in the day to accommodate everyone? Although I would love such a free perk, I'm not sure it is realistic. Perhaps, 1 free massage per cabin is a possiblity. I agree, the prices onboard are far above what you can find on land, I recently joined a nation-wide club called Massage Envy and pay $50 for 1 50 min massage each month, and anything after that each month, is $39 for 50min. It's great and I enjoy my treat each month. After paying those prices, its hard to justify a $100+ massage on a ship.

With 130 cabins, which means a possible 260 passengers, is it really possible to provide free massages over the course of 7 days to that many people. Are there enough hours in the day to accommodate everyone? Although I would love such a free perk, I'm not sure it is realistic. Perhaps, 1 free massage per cabin is a possiblity. I agree, the prices onboard are far above what you can find on land, I recently joined a nation-wide club called Massage Envy and pay $50 for 1 50 min massage each month, and anything after that each month, is $39 for 50min. It's great and I enjoy my treat each month. After paying those prices, its hard to justify a $100+ massage on a ship.

Good point about the number of pax. Oh well, we can dream, right?

IKWYM about the price of massages. I actually get a monthly massage for free, through my insurance. I have back issues, and I get a prescription for a massage through my Sports Therapy clinic. :) As for paying for it - I recently went to Bali, where we payed US $75 for a FULL DAY of spa pampering - massage, spice rub, mud bath, facial, hair treatment, mani-pedi, AND it included an incredible dinner at a nearby restaurant! So ya...it is awfully hard to look at those Celebrity spa prices... :o

Good point about the number of pax. Oh well, we can dream, right?

IKWYM about the price of massages. I actually get a monthly massage for free, through my insurance. I have back issues, and I get a prescription for a massage through my Sports Therapy clinic. :) As for paying for it - I recently went to Bali, where we payed US $75 for a FULL DAY of spa pampering - massage, spice rub, mud bath, facial, hair treatment, mani-pedi, AND it included an incredible dinner at a nearby restaurant! So ya...it is awfully hard to look at those Celebrity spa prices... :o

For those on the pre inaugural/inaugural cruises- can you pls post a spa treatment meun & $. The Ceberity web site is listing some proces but it seems to be a for a series,ie 5 hr treatment(s). Would like to know if the massage package can be split between DH & myself.

Carole

"]I haven’t checked cruisecritic much lately however, this thread was great! Thanks for the question Hajekfam and thanks to LeeAnn for her response.

It would be nice if Celebrity or Royal Caribbean (bad information from company on last cruise) could answer these types of questions.

Granted when I first tried to book the Solstice it was on a Sunday and the poor young man that got my call with all my AC questions was clueless. He actually told me that the AC passengers would get a free spa treatment. “Wow! Really?! Are you sure? Don’t you mean the access to the Parisian Gardens? How can that be when your spa treatments vary in length and price? You may want to check on that because as much as I would like a spa treatment included that isn’t logistically reasonable.” He also said with the AC stateroom we would be able to dine at the specialty restaurants every night if we wished with no additional fee. I then realized he had no clue.

I waited until Monday and just booked with an online travel agent. I too justified the additional price of the AC with the specialty restaurant hook of not paying extra for Blu.

I also wonder where other posters get their information as I have sent many email questions to Celebrity and other than their automatic response I have never gotten my questions answered. After many sailings in several years, they send me nothing although I am the one making the arraignments’ and who’s sole name is on the checks and or credit cards. They still send everything to my son, the student, I guess my assumed husband my first Celebrity traveling companion. It is a good thing the service on board isn’t the same level as their on shore service.

Lori[/font]

I also wonder where other posters get their information as I have sent many email questions to Celebrity and other than their automatic response I have never gotten my questions answered. Lori

As for Solstice information, =X='s S-class brochure and web site provided initial information. Then, =X= hosted a 'Solstice Preview Party' in Miami on July 8 to which a number of CruiseCritic members were invited. At that open house =X= provided lots of new information along with a number of clarifications about Aqua Class. Host Anne, one of the attendees, was kind enough to disseminate the info on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=805402

In addition sample menus for all of the Solstice restaurants, along with photos of the preview event can be found here: http://www.thepreismans.com/ - click on Solstice tab. :)

Archived