Aft Balcony Size -- Vista Class

JDRMYS

When the Noordam was brand new, we were in one of the aft "SC" suites. One of the features that we liked the most was the enormous wrap-around terrace. I have heard that, on some of the Visa Class ships, these balconies have been narrowed. We loved the privacy and space that we got on our huge private terrace.

If we book a similar suite for a January cruise on the Zuiderdam, will we still get a terrace of the same size or will it be more narrow?

When the Noordam was brand new, we were in one of the aft "SC" suites. One of the features that we liked the most was the enormous wrap-around terrace. I have heard that, on some of the Visa Class ships, these balconies have been narrowed. We loved the privacy and space that we got on our huge private terrace.

If we book a similar suite for a January cruise on the Zuiderdam, will we still get a terrace of the same size or will it be more narrow?

Unfortunately, Zuiderdam has just had her butt 'lifted' and the beloved wake verandas have been shortened. They're still larger than those on the side.

Here is a photo of Zuidy's wake verandas before drydock:

ZuidyWakeCabinsByTheresaLassek.jpg

Does anyone have a more recent photo?

Unfortunately, Zuiderdam has just had her butt 'lifted' and the beloved wake verandas have been shortened.

There are no changes to the verandahs on deck 4. The deck 5 verandahs are the same size as they have always been, but are now almost completely covered.

Thanks John, I was getting worried reading this. We're booked in VD4164 with one of the "double" balconies and are pretty excited about it. First time on the Zuiderdam. :)
4164 will be 7.5 ft deep by 18 ft wide. Pretty huge for the price!! :D None of the side balconies on decks 4 or 5 were affected by the "aft lift".

4164 will be 7.5 ft deep by 18 ft wide. Pretty huge for the price!! :D None of the side balconies on decks 4 or 5 were affected by the "aft lift".

So, does that mean that the regular aft balcony cabins after lift on deck 4 are still mostly without shade?

Thanks in advance.

Hugh in Dallas

So, does that mean that the regular aft balcony cabins after lift on deck 4 are still mostly without shade?

That depends on which way the ship is facing. There is about a 4 ft overhang, and as long as the ship is not facing directly away from the sun there will be shade from the side partitions. Nothing has changed with the deck 4 stern cabins. If you think that they were "mostly without shade" before: they still are.

That depends on which way the ship is facing. There is about a 4 ft overhang, and as long as the ship is not facing directly away from the sun there will be shade from the side partitions. Nothing has changed with the deck 4 stern cabins. If you think that they were "mostly without shade" before: they still are.

Thanks for the quick answer.

Hugh in Dallas

I'll chime in and ask about the SB corner suites on Deck 8 ... 8140 and 8147. Do they still resemble the pic Candy showed below? I seem to recall seeing a post-lift photo where the Lido Deck no longer fully covered the verandahs for 8140/8147 ...

Anyone have any input as to their size and/or coverage now post-lift?

Thanks.......

I'll chime in and ask about the SB corner suites on Deck 8 ... 8140 and 8147. Do they still resemble the pic Candy showed below? I seem to recall seeing a post-lift photo where the Lido Deck no longer fully covered the verandahs for 8140/8147 ...

Anyone have any input as to their size and/or coverage now post-lift?

Thanks.......

We are booked into this cabin for the above date.

I found this DSC_0048

But still have some questions:

- Is there an overhang providing some privacy from all the pool guest on the deck above, Lido?

-Will the 7th deck have more exposure to Lido people looking down?

-Does the Deluxe Verandah Suites balcony progressively gets less deeper as u go to lower decks?

-Does the 'wrap around leg' on these suites progressively less lengthy as u go to higher decks?

Any help will be greatly appreciated....we have read GREAT things about HAL 's suites comparing to NCL! We cant wait.....:D

Unfortunately, Zuiderdam has just had her butt 'lifted' and the beloved wake verandas have been shortened. They're still larger than those on the side.

... and one after

ButtLiftWakeCabins.GIF

The inside cabins are a little smaller than the regular suites but they are laid out nicely. Plenty of drawer space and a desk to work on if you need it.

Bathroom and dressing room are about the same size as the suite and there is a shower and tub in the room.

Ruth & Jim

... and one after

ButtLiftWakeCabins.GIF

I also found this pic, pretty good side shot of the NEW AFT configuration:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=747739&page=2

Thanks for letting me know about this new retrofit, was not aware that the ship was in dry dock and now have a new look, at least in the AFT.:eek:

Archived