Compass Rewards Program Ends

Host Kewlguy

When your Compass Rewards program ends you will automatcally become enrolled in the NCL Worldpoints program. The NCL Worldpoints program is a flexible and unique rewards program till providing you great rewards options plus a wide array of other travel, merchandise and retail gift card rewards. In addition you will have access to new exclusive NCL rewards and offers available only to cardholders. As an added bonus, you will receive double points for purchases made directly through NCL.

As of January 1, 2009, your Norwegian Cruise Line Compass Rewards credit card will automatically be converted to the NCL Worldpoints program. Transactions made after your December 2008 statement closing date will not earn points towards the Compass Rewards program. You will receive Compass Rewards Certificates for your remaining points balance by January, 31, 2009.

Redeem your points for exclusive NCL rewards, such as cruises, upgrades, on board credit and exclusive onboard experiences, plus cash back, travel with no black out dates, car rental and hotel rewards, brand new merchandise, or gift certificates.

No limit to the number of points you can earn each year.

Any questions regarding changes call 1-800-421-2110

Did they give you any details?

If we have 1000 points now, how long will they be good for? etc.

From what I'm reading it seems you have until January 31, 2009 to cash in your coupons. But charges after December 31, 2008 will no longer count towards your Compass Rewards total.

Thanks for the heads-up Kewlguy.. If anyone's interested, here's the BOA page explaining the WorldPoints card. I have a feeling it's not gonna measure up. Bummer.

https://wwwa.managerewardsonline.bankofamerica.com/RMSapp/Ctl/entry?pid=mwprwd

It doesn't surprise me in this current economic environment. To be honest I was kind of expecting this change eventually as the NCL Compass Rewards program was simply too good of a deal to last indefinitely.

It doesn't surprise me in this current economic environment. To be honest I was kind of expecting this change eventually as the NCL rewards program was simply too good of a deal to last indefinitely.

I wonder if RCCL will be next with their Visa ????

Oh ... my ... goodness! Bad news for those of us who have multiple NCL cc and have gotten $$$$$ off cruises ...

THANKS for the heads-up ... I'm close to another coupon and will cash it in before 12/31 ...

I'm reading the WorldPoints link and it sounds confusing ... Those of you who can decifer such things, can you put it in plain English???

Oh ... my ... goodness! Bad news for those of us who have multiple NCL cc and have gotten $$$$$ off cruises ...

THANKS for the heads-up ... I'm close to another coupon and will cash it in before 12/31 ...

I'm reading the WorldPoints link and it sounds confusing ... Those of you who can decifer such things' date=' can you put it in plain English???[/font']

This is a job for Smeyer. :D

This is a job for Smeyer. :D

My thought exactly! I'm curious like FIRELT5 if all the BOA cruise credit cards are being phased out as well. When I went to NCL's website to "sign up" for the NCL card, the link didn't work.

I'm really anticipating an explanation as to what this all means. We're lucky to have some really smart folks on this board who will help us understand this stuff. The NCL credit card sticky has been invaluable to me.

Well, trying to look at this subject as the glass being half full: At least they are giving those of us who are close to another coupon time to accumulate the needed points. Personally I'm 75 points short of another coupon so I have plenty of time to reach that.

What a way to have my morning ruined :( . Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like this program earns 1% instead of the 3% for non-NCL charges/ 4% for NCL charges that the old program did. So, in order to be able to redeem points for cruise coupons, you'll now need 50,000 in points (earned on $50,000 in purchases) to get a $500 certificate. On the old NCL plan, you would have had to charge $16,667 to get that same reward.

The only possible advantage I can see is that you can use the points for multiple cruise lines, as well as other travel rewards, like airline tickets, gift cards, cash, etc.

My thought exactly! I'm curious like FIRELT5 if all the BOA cruise credit cards are being phased out as well. When I went to NCL's website to "sign up" for the NCL card, the link didn't work.

I'm really anticipating an explanation as to what this all means. We're lucky to have some really smart folks on this board who will help us understand this stuff. The NCL credit card sticky has been invaluable to me.

The letter I received did include a phone number for those who want a more detailed explanation from BOA. 1-800-421-2110

What a way to have my morning ruined :( . Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like this program earns 1% instead of the 3% for non-NCL charges/ 4% for NCL charges that the old program did. So, in order to be able to redeem points for cruise coupons, you'll now need 50,000 in points (earned on $50,000 in purchases) to get a $500 certificate. On the old NCL plan, you would have had to charge $16,667 to get that same reward.

Sounds just like the Royal Caribbean rewards program which was far inferior to the NCL one.

What happens to people with 380 points, or 495, or 207 etc. at the time the point accumulation ends on 12/31/08? I'd think they should give $1 for $1 certs up to those amounts, but who knows if they will.

I have multiple NCL cards, and juggle them due to the monthly maxes and whatnot, so in one sense, it will be nice to no longer worry about the spending caps, however, I'm willing to wager the benefits are going to be cut down to 1% down from the 3% we previously received. If that's the case, I'll likely get a RCL or Carnival card as well, or just a cash back or Citibank Thank You points card to give me more options.

We love cruising on NCL, but the certificates definately played a huge factor in our loyalty to one line. Compass Rewards was a great program for consumers, and the cruise savings we've received over the years definately helped instill that loyalty from us, but I'm sure it was too costly to BOA in the end, especially in this economy.

I'm sure we'll still cruise NCL, but it won't be as frequent, and won't necessarily be option #1. Bummer.

And if he does stop in, I have another question. I believe he has used the points for other than the $500 certificates. Can he explain how to get the most out of the upgrade certificates.

Sidney Where are You ????????????? :)

Wow ... just talked to DIL who had a WorldPoints cc and cancelled it because it was such a bad deal.

We also had an RCI cc and cancelled that one because it was rediculously awful ...

QUESTION: what will happen to any unused points ... partial points (less than 500)????? Will they just disappear ... or maybe they will give us partial-point coupons to redeem as cash on NCL? (that sounds too good to be true:( ) ...

YUCK!!!!

The only possible advantage I can see is that you can use the points for multiple cruise lines, as well as other travel rewards, like airline tickets, gift cards, cash, etc.

Earn one point for every $1 in net retail purchases in the NCL Worldpoints rewards program. Earn double points for purchases made with Norwegian Cruise Line. Redeem your points for exclusive NCL rewards, such as cruises, upgrades, on board credit and exclusive on board experiences, plus cash back, travel with no black out dates, car rental and hotel rewards, brand name merchandise, or gift certificates.

What happens to people with 380 points, or 495, or 207 etc. at the time the point accumulation ends on 12/31/08? I'd think they should give $1 for $1 certs up to those amounts, but who knows if they will.

I have multiple NCL cards, and juggle them due to the monthly maxes and whatnot, so in one sense, it will be nice to no longer worry about the spending caps, however, I'm willing to wager the benefits are going to be cut down to 1% down from the 3% we previously received. If that's the case, I'll likely get a RCL or Carnival card as well, or just a cash back or Citibank Thank You points card to give me more options.

We love cruising on NCL, but the certificates definately played a huge factor in our loyalty to one line. Compass Rewards was a great program for consumers, and the cruise savings we've received over the years definately helped instill that loyalty from us, but I'm sure it was too costly to BOA in the end, especially in this economy.

I'm sure we'll still cruise NCL, but it won't be as frequent, and won't necessarily be option #1. Bummer.

Sounds like we were asking the same questions at the same time. I also agree with you on everything else ... PLUS ... now I will cancel all the cards but one (since there is no cap on points earned during a certain time period) ...

Wow ... just talked to DIL who had a WorldPoints cc and cancelled it because it was such a bad deal.

We also had an RCI cc and cancelled that one because it was rediculously awful ...

QUESTION: what will happen to any unused points ... partial points (less than 500)????? Will they just disappear ... or maybe they will give us partial-point coupons to redeem as cash on NCL? (that sounds too good to be true:( ) ...

YUCK!!!!

Unused points will be applied to the World Points program. Your NCL Compass Rewards credit card will automatically be converted to the NCL Worldpoints credit card program.

I've got the same question. I am currently juggling two cards, and I can probably get the older one up to $500, but I don't plan on spending enough to get the 2nd one to the 500 point limit.

Same with us -- especially since we have started to notice a decline in the service on NCL. It will make it much easier to hunt for an itinerary based on price rather than cruise line.

Archived