Happy with Carnival

nyBigboater

We were booked on the Jan 16 Cruise on the Miracle going to Panama, Costa Rica & Belize and got a E-mail that there was a itinerary change. Now going to Cozumel, Isla Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya. I have seen the posts that say don't worry about it a cruise is a cruise, Well maybe to some of you But the highlight of this trip was the train ride along the Panama Canal . Also the new itinerary had a extra port ,we would be going to port 4 days in a row. We go on cruise to cruise. Any way Carnival was very helpful in rebooking us on The Freedom in March. At first they said the new cruise was $175.00 pp more but put me on hold then came back and said she could rebook for $154.00 total.We lost the air fare But that was our choice. Anyway we are Very Happy the way Carnival handled it .PS sorry for being so long- new at this:)

Good for you and great that Carnival helped you...What a great attitude you have about!..

Sailing the Panama Canal (must be) a cruise unlike any other and I completely understand if someone was upset with a itinerary change..

Glad it worked out...

Does insurance cover this type of change? Would it have covered the airfare?

:)

trock - none of the insurance plans cover "I want to cancel due to port change" - except those few that offer the "Cancel for ANY reason option" (at about a 50% extra premium).

I DID find that in cases where Carnival knows in advance of sailing that a port is to be changed, you are allowed to CANCEL without penalty within 24 hours of notification, regardless of what the PVP's and TA's are claiming. This depends on timely/correct notification by Carnival, or timely passing on of notification by a TA (since Carnival considers notifying the TA as notification of the Cruiser.).

The OP probably took the best course by switching to the (newer & apparently problem free) Freedom.

We're looking at booking a Western Caribbean itinerary ONLY for purposes of the Panama Canal excursions, so a potential "change of itinerary" isn't acceptable. In light of the Miracle happenings, we're looking at the Princess 10-day itinerary on newer & apparently problem free ships, with the benefit that Princess's (Berkley) Trip protection policy now includes "Cancel for Any Reason" (meaning you can cancel for any reason and get 75% credit on an alternative cruise later) included in the price.

I'm not sure why Carnival's Berkley Trip protection can't also include the "Cancel for any reason" coverage???

ken

We were booked on the Jan 16 Cruise on the Miracle going to Panama, Costa Rica & Belize and got a E-mail that there was a itinerary change. Now going to Cozumel, Isla Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya. I have seen the posts that say don't worry about it a cruise is a cruise, Well maybe to some of you But the highlight of this trip was the train ride along the Panama Canal . Also the new itinerary had a extra port ,we would be going to port 4 days in a row. We go on cruise to cruise. Any way Carnival was very helpful in rebooking us on The Freedom in March. At first they said the new cruise was $175.00 pp more but put me on hold then came back and said she could rebook for $154.00 total.We lost the air fare But that was our choice. Anyway we are Very Happy the way Carnival handled it .PS sorry for being so long- new at this:)

This is the way to deal with the situation in a polite and adult manner.

I truly hope that you have a great time on your cruise:)!

trock - none of the insurance plans cover "I want to cancel due to port change" - except those few that offer the "Cancel for ANY reason option" (at about a 50% extra premium).

I DID find that in cases where Carnival knows in advance of sailing that a port is to be changed, you are allowed to CANCEL without penalty within 24 hours of notification, regardless of what the PVP's and TA's are claiming. This depends on timely/correct notification by Carnival, or timely passing on of notification by a TA (since Carnival considers notifying the TA as notification of the Cruiser.).

The OP probably took the best course by switching to the (newer & apparently problem free) Freedom.

We're looking at booking a Western Caribbean itinerary ONLY for purposes of the Panama Canal excursions, so a potential "change of itinerary" isn't acceptable. In light of the Miracle happenings, we're looking at the Princess 10-day itinerary on newer & apparently problem free ships, with the benefit that Princess's (Berkley) Trip protection policy now includes "Cancel for Any Reason" (meaning you can cancel for any reason and get 75% credit on an alternative cruise later) included in the price.

I'm not sure why Carnival's Berkley Trip protection can't also include the "Cancel for any reason" coverage???

ken

Thanks good to know

I dont know why they dont offer that option.. probably because they would be getting a lot of claims....??

This 'stuff' about the Miracle is making me nervous! We are booked for May!:)

To the OP: we went on the Miracle last year to take the train ride. We thought it was a waste of $$$'s. Yes, you get to ride the train, but when you are told you get a box lunch, forget it, you get a snack in a box. Raisins, hard candy, and a piece of fruit. Drinks (sodas) were extra. We found that locals can ride the train on a much reduced rate.

We did NOT see the Pacific while we were in Panama City, so much for the Atlantic to Pacific ads. We were not very happy seeing that I had talked 8 other couples into taking the train:mad::mad:. Some of our group went on the village trip and thoroughly enjoyed the trip and nice lunch with sandwiches.

To the OP: we went on the Miracle last year to take the train ride. We thought it was a waste of $$$'s. Yes, you get to ride the train, but when you are told you get a box lunch, forget it, you get a snack in a box. Raisins, hard candy, and a piece of fruit. Drinks (sodas) were extra. We found that locals can ride the train on a much reduced rate.

We did NOT see the Pacific while we were in Panama City, so much for the Atlantic to Pacific ads. We were not very happy seeing that I had talked 8 other couples into taking the train:mad::mad:. Some of our group went on the village trip and thoroughly enjoyed the trip and nice lunch with sandwiches.

Sorry you didn't like the train ride :mad: We are going anyway I don't care what the locals pay, We are going to enjoy our self , we may not see the Pacific, but I guarantee the things we see will be new to us. As far as the food, well Let us just say I can afford to miss a meal or 2:mad:. Hope you have better experiences in the future ;);)

ken

I think Princess is a wise choice....

I too would be dissapointed. When someone books with a port at a location such as The panama Canal, then most likely that is why the are going. I agree, alot of people cruise just to be on the ship. But alot also cruise because of the destinations. It is understandable that changes need to be made for one reason or the other. And when the cruise line does the right thing it reinforces their dedication to customer service.

It's good to hear that you were happy with the way Carnival handled your changes. Often times we cruise to enjoy a cruise and while we might wish to visit all the ports originally scheduled stuff happens and things get changed and in the end all is still just fine even with port changes but cruising to the see the Panama Canal is a cruise often booked because of the specific destination so we would feel that same as you and would be changing the cruise we sailed on. Hope you enjoy every moment of your cruise on the Freedom:)

Archived