Please help me - Carnival got my name wrong

abmom

Okay, here's my story. If anyone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

I called up Carnival on March 28th and booked a cruise for April 26th, for 5 people in two rooms. I paid for everyone's trip on my credit card, which is listed in my name. They sent me a confirmation email & I logged on to do my documents on the following day, March 29th. There was a small problem....my last name was wrong.

Now, I know that I didn't give them the wrong last name, and I even paid for the five cruises on my credit card, and gave the PVP my name for the card. The PVP even admits that he must have made a mistake typing my name in the system. However, he says that it's going to cost me $50 to change my name in the system because it's within 30 days of the sailing date. BUT.......I BOOKED MY CRUISE WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE SAILING DATE!

So, is there anything I can do? Anyone know any secret customer service number I can call? I don't think it's fair at all that I be charged $50 because this guy made a mistake.

I called up Carnival on March 28th and booked a cruise for April 26th, for 5 people in two rooms. I paid for everyone's trip on my credit card, which is listed in my name. They sent me a confirmation email & I logged on to do my documents on the following day, March 29th. There was a small problem....my last name was wrong.

Now, I know that I didn't give them the wrong last name, and I even paid for the five cruises on my credit card, and gave the PVP my name for the card. The PVP even admits that he must have made a mistake typing my name in the system. However, he says that it's going to cost me $50 to change my name in the system because it's within 30 days of the sailing date. BUT.......I BOOKED MY CRUISE WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE SAILING DATE!

So, is there anything I can do? Anyone know any secret customer service number I can call? I don't think it's fair at all that I be charged $50 because this guy made a mistake.

Call customer service, explain that the name is wrong and you're not changing the reservation to another person, you are just correcting the name so that your documents and CC match up. It took them three tries to get my sister's name right on our last cruise, and we were never once charged for a name change.

Talk to a supervisor right away if your PVP is trying to BS you with is mistake. You won't be charged extra

Call back and talk to another customer service rep or to a manager if necessary. I think a lot of this kind of thing just depends on who you talk to and what kind of day that person is having. Something very similar happened to me with Delta when they changed my flights without notice. After a 4 hour layover in Atlanta, they had me coming home on a flight that landed at midnight. I didn't want to inconvenience my friend, who was picking me up, by asking her to come out so late. So, I decided to ask for a different flight. The first rep I talked to told me there would be a $100 change fee. I told him I wasn't interested in changing for a fee. After hanging up and thinking about the injustice of being charged for a change I wouldn't have chosen, I called back and spoke to another rep who completely understood my dilemma. Presto, the change was made and everyone was happy.

I would definitely call customer service or guest relations and explain what happened...

A typo-type of name change shouldn't be much for them to fix and if you wanted to talk to the PVP again about it, he or she can ask their supervisor to fix it.

A mistake like that can happen any time--they shouldn't be worried about telling their own supervisor it happened (unless they do it a lot, lol....)

You should be okay :)

Edited here: I read over the PVP part. Yeah, your PVP is making a mistake here. Even admitting it's his mistake and that it's going to cost you money? I think NOT! Call guest relations or customer service!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was really stressing out there for a few minutes! :)

I called back and instead of typing in his extension number, just waited for someone else to answer. The woman I spoke with was very sympathetic, and although it took about 30 minutes on the phone, she sorted it out without any charge to me. :)

Abmom,

Happy to hear that things worked out well for you. I had a similar issue happen to me several months ago. I booked a cruise for my sister and myself with a group, the first call was trying to get me to book a lowest level OV room. I did not want the room offered, due to the group having rooms set aside for balconies. Thanks to the great people here at CC.com, I remembered to hang up and call back, spoke to a guy that ws great and was able to book a balcony on the upper deck on the Destiny for $40 pp cheaper. Lisa

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was really stressing out there for a few minutes! :)

I called back and instead of typing in his extension number, just waited for someone else to answer. The woman I spoke with was very sympathetic, and although it took about 30 minutes on the phone, she sorted it out without any charge to me. :)

Great to hear you got this sorted out. Don't want any problems for our Triumph cruisers.:D

Looking forward to meeting you very soon.:cool:

Dianne

I'm wondering what kind of mistake did they make? Stevens instead of Stephens? Or McCruiser instead of Jones?

When I booked my cruise they did something similar. On one of our rooms they put down Mc Cruiser instead of McCruiser. I was a little worried because I booked on the early saver program (NO name changes allowed), but it only took 30 seconds on the phone with my PVP to fix...

I'm wondering what kind of mistake was made also. It wouldn't be prudent to give your name but can you give some other example? Was it a simple typo or a complete FUBAR?

I can't stop thinking of an episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus where they are doing an interview sketch where the interviewer announces the guest as Mr. Raymond Luxury-Yacht, the guest protests "No no no, it's spelled, "Raymond Luxury-Yacht," but it's pronounced, "Throatwobbler Mangrove". :D

There are five of us going, with 3 different last names. I was listed as having the last name of one of the other people going. So, no, it wasn't just a typo. I'm sure it was an innocent mistake on the part of the PVP, but still, I didn't feel I should have to pay for it. :)

I'm glad things were straightened out. While not a simple typo it should be easy enough to fix (and was) as it would seem obvious that no attempt was being made to switch passengers.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. :)

I think that you have explained the difference in working with a PVP, and just using the regular 800 #. In my experience you get much better service working with whoever answers the phone instead of "your PVP".

I think that you have explained the difference in working with a PVP, and just using the regular 800 #. In my experience you get much better service working with whoever answers the phone instead of "your PVP".

I have found that out as well. I wonder why that is??

Archived