How does NCL compare with Carnival?

I posted this originally on the NCL board but thought I should post it here too to maybe get a more balanced perspective.

I have been on a few cruises with Carnival but never with any other line, and am strongly considering booking an NCL cruise to Alaska this summer because Saturday/Sunday are a lot better for a departure than Wednesday and being able to book roundtrip airfare will make the NCL cruise a lot cheaper. However I really enjoy Carnival and am afraid of branching away from the familiar, especially for this particular trip. Can anyone who has experience with both help me out?

I posted this originally on the NCL board but thought I should post it here too to maybe get a more balanced perspective.

I have been on a few cruises with Carnival but never with any other line, and am strongly considering booking an NCL cruise to Alaska this summer because Saturday/Sunday are a lot better for a departure than Wednesday and being able to book roundtrip airfare will make the NCL cruise a lot cheaper. However I really enjoy Carnival and am afraid of branching away from the familiar, especially for this particular trip. Can anyone who has experience with both help me out?

YOu are not going to get more balanced answers here. They'll be slanted much more towards CCL just as they were slanted much more towards NCL on that board.

Good luck.

Bill

I can't speak for myself, but NCL is my parents line of choice. My Dad just likes the "freestyle cruising" aspect of their ships. They have done RCL once and Carnival twice and they liked them both, but they are pretty loyal to NCL. With that said, I booked them on our October Freedom cruise with us a few days ago. It was a surprise gift from my partner and I to them and they are genuinely excited.

They took all three of us kids and our respective families on a cruise over Christmas this past year. Due to scheduling we finally had to settle on Carnival and the Fascination. My mother kept a running comparison between her Carnival experience and NCL during the whole cruise. She wasn't doing it to be picky, but after sailing on NCL the previous 5 cruises she couldn't help herself. The most I could gather was that she thought the food on Carnival was better, but she enjoyed NCL's shows more. Everything else was pretty much a wash.

Just saw an ad in a ***** periodical for NCL, and the gist was to "just wear anything" to dinner. If that's what you want on a cruise, go for it. As for me, I'll stick with a more traditional cruise experience! Cruised once on NCL and that was enough!

If you're trying to expand you horizons, there are some good options.

NCL is not one of them.

We tried them once on their newest ship at the time, and came SCREAMING back to Carnival.

Twenty-five or so years ago, Carnival and NCL were almost indistinguishable in terms of pricing, level of service and quality of product. The Carnival passenger demographic skewed somewhat younger.

No longer the case. NCL got in bed with Star Line and it was the beginning of the end. The boiler explosion aboard the SS Norway while docked in Miami in 2003 didn't help either. :eek: And then, they rolled out NCL America. :mad: Too many missteps along the way for me to even consider sailing with them again.

I have crusied both and love NCL. The food is wonderful, and the free style dining is finally coming to Carnival. You will find that they are much more alike than they are different. The ships are well maintained and the staf is very friendly.

Carnival usually wins my business because of price, but if the price were equal, it would be a hard choice for me.

As you can see from my sig line I have cruised Carnival and NCL almost equally. My first few cruises were on NCL and I LOVED them, but I had nothing to compare them to. After cruising Carnival, I have to say Carnival has an edge over them - mostly in the food area (except the NCL specialty restaurants are awesome!). I have had to wait for a table on NCL, but I knew that going in, so I wasn't bothered by it. I would cruise NCL again if they had an itinerary that I wanted, but Carnival is the cruise line that I look at first. As a matter of fact, the itinerary that I'm cruising on the Legend next month is the same one as I did on the NCL Sun in 2002 (except of course we're not going to Cozumel now LOL)

We have sailed NCL four times (five if you count our B2B as two). These cruises include a 14-night Panama Canal sailing and an Alaskan cruise. We have sailed Carnival 12 times, including a 12-night Hawaiian cruise. So I think I have valid cruise experience from which to respond.

NCL is NOT the horror show some would like you to believe. That said, it is also not our preference. We found the ships to be pretty and service to be very good. We thought the surcharge restaurants were excellent, but the charges just too much. We were disappointed in the wait times for the main dining rooms and rarely ate in them. We were also disappointed in the quality of the buffet foods. We were not impressed by the entertainment, but mostly because the particular Jean Ann Ryan productions on our cruises were targeting a younger demographic (like ©rap music and skateboard stuff we just don't get). We felt that NCL didn't have as many activities that appealed to us. We were frustrated by the smoke on the ship and thought it should be more restrictive. But we still had a good time - there were lots of things we did enjoy and we never went hungry. I'm not so sure about the "just wear anything" to dinner (mentioned in earlier post). We chose NCL Alaska for the same reasons you are considering it, but found people dressed basically the same as they do on other lines. We prefer a more relaxed atmosphere and find Carnival is a better fit.

Carnival IMHO offers better entertainment and a better overal dining room experience. We like Carnival's activities better. Carnival staterooms are larger. If all things were equal, we'd choose Carnival. But we wouldn't hestitate to sail NCL again if circumstances led us that way.

We went on NCL last summer b/c it was the best option for us to go to Bermuda. We were on the Dawn which was a lovely ship. Overall, the experience is comparable to Carnival, but you have to enjoy Freestyle Dining, which we did not. We went with 10 people and had to be at the reservation desk each morning at 7:30 to get reservations for the specialty restaurants, most of which had a fee. The food in the regular dining room was okay, but nothing special. We loved the food at the other restaurants, but the hassle hardly made it worth it. I'm glad to be back on Carnival this year.

I have only been on three cruises - RCL, NCL, and CCL, plus another CCL for this summer. I have loved them all. I would cruise more, but it is not DH's favorite form of travel, so we alternate.

I have chosen them all based on intinerary (the Med, Hawaii) or a desire to sail from a specific port (Tampa). The cruiseline will give me what I need: a place to sleep, good food and plenty of it, a couple of drinks, entertainment, somewhere awesome to see and explore. I have preferred the decor of one ship, the dining of another, etc, but in the end I don't want off the ship in the end and would happily sail on any of them again!

If you like the price or the port or the day of departure - pick that line. I don't think the small differences in cruise lines will make much difference unless you let them.

Ally

I'm another that has also sailed several times on both lines, and currently have a cruise booked for later this year on both lines.

NCL is great for a really laid back experience. We chose NCL for our Alaska and Mediterranean cruises specifically because we did NOT want have to pack fancy dinner attire due to the long distance we were traveling (suitcase weight limits, etc), and the ability to eat dinner when we wanted to see we wouldn't have to worry about rushing back onboard while in Europe.

Things we LOVE about NCL: their Bliss lounge with bowling alley, the warm cookies/coffee available for repaet cruisers on-board in a specified lounge daily, their fun/whimsical onboard decor and color schemes.

For those taking their first cruise, I wouldn't recommend NCL because you will miss some of the traditional things like dressing up in fancy attire for formal night and getting to know you waiter after 7-night of dinner.

CeleBrat

We went on NCL to Alaska this past August and it was fabulous.

Personally, if given the choice and money was not an issue (our NCL cruise was more expensive), we'd sail NCL over Carnival. If NCL is less expensive than Carnival for similar itinerary, similar cabin, etc. we'd jump at it.

My review is at http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=46096

Howard

I agree the most with ama-sam. We have been on both and are booked on each again. We chose each cruise mostly for when and where and how much. I have enjoyed both lines. We enjoyed Carnival's dining - BUT for me it is a pain to HAVE to be there at a certain time. We never had to wait for a table on NCL. Carnival's food might be a little better in the dining room. I think the buffets are comparable. The waterslide on the Miracle was awesome!!! Both have great ships, helpful and smiling crew, clean cabins, lots of activities and hey - you're on a cruise! The only way you will know for sure for yourself is to try it. Enjoy your cruising whatever you choose. :D

I only have a 1:1 ratio, so here it goes.

There is no big difference to me. I think with carnival, the cruise director was more noisy and more "used car salesman" than the CD on NCL. But I don't know that that is a fair comparison because I'm comparing one person to one person and a man to a woman. Plus, loads of people LOVE this particular Carnival CD.

I didn't notice much difference in clientele, and that's comparing a Honolulu departure to a New Orleans departure.

I'm sailing Carnival again and will likely sail NCL again. I like the convenience of departing from the Gulf Coast, especially New Orleans so that's my number one point for choosing with the itinerary as the next important. For me, Carnival has more choices.

ETA: I should clarify that the Pride of Hawaii was NCLA, not NCL. (I think that point makes a difference to some people).

ETA: We LOVED freestyle dining on NCLA, but to me the idea of Freestyle vs. set dining room is 6 one way, half-dozen another. We didn't have any problems with waits or bookings with freestyle (though we are LATE dinner eaters... 8:30/9:00 is great for us, so that probably worked in our favor).

I'm another that has also sailed several times on both lines, and currently have a cruise booked for later this year on both lines.

NCL is great for a really laid back experience. We chose NCL for our Alaska and Mediterranean cruises specifically because we did NOT want have to pack fancy dinner attire due to the long distance we were traveling (suitcase weight limits, etc), and the ability to eat dinner when we wanted to see we wouldn't have to worry about rushing back onboard while in Europe.

Things we LOVE about NCL: their Bliss lounge with bowling alley, the warm cookies/coffee available for repaet cruisers on-board in a specified lounge daily, their fun/whimsical onboard decor and color schemes.

For those taking their first cruise, I wouldn't recommend NCL because you will miss some of the traditional things like dressing up in fancy attire for formal night and getting to know you waiter after 7-night of dinner.

CeleBrat

Do you know how many ships have the Bliss lounge with the bowling alley?

Bill

Being a budget cruiser, and having upwards of a dozen NCL cruises,I prefer Carnival. Before freestyle, it was NCL. Norwiegan has taken cruising to a new low.... But sometimes the price is soooo low I can't stay home.last year a 19 day to south america for $399. got 5 people to go with me, had a ball.I always enjoy being at sea. but I like to know my dinner companions and wait staff.I do not like the constant upsell. if you want escargo you have to go Upscale... being platinum with NCL I get the perks, but I prefer traditional...

We have done one of each, so not a lot, and really the comparison is almost ship over ship rather than line over line because of our inexperience. Carnival Spirit (2009), NCL Sun (2007).

Carnival:

- Better food overall. We felt NCL's food had been through a bland-o-mizer. You would not believe all the abandoned plates at the gorgeous chocolate buffet on NCL because it was so bad. There were exceptions, but overall CCL gets the nod on food. 24 hours pizza and soft ice cream was a hit with teens.

- More activities during the day. If you like activities/games/contests, CCL has more.

- Better ship flow.

- Better place for teens to hang out. O2 was a nice space.

- The particular inside cabin our kids had was better than their inside cabin on NCL. The CCL room had a little extra area because of where it was on the ship.

- Felt less nickel-and-dimed and drinks were cheaper. However, the part about feeling less nickel and dimed may be because the NCL was cruise #1 and we knew what to expect more on CCL.

- More liberal "BYO" policy.

Norwegian:

- Better sports facilities. The sport court on the Spirit was just ridiculous.

- Better pool. There's only one, which doesn't appeal to some, but it felt much more usable to us.

- I preferred the balcony room layout on NCL. On CCL the sofa/open area was as you came in the door, then the beds, then the door to the balcony. On NCL it was reversed, such that the open area was by the door. This to me gave the feeling of more space.

- Hard ice cream all day, longer hours at the buffet - teens appreciated these features but it's not like they were saddened by having to eat soft ice cream during the day.

- Really enjoyed the forward bar/lounge with all the windows. I really missed something like that on the Spirit - an indoor space with lots of windows up high with a view.

- Anytime dining. We are definitely more temperamentally aligned with freestyle. But that's coming to CCL too.

Overall, I'd say they were equivalent, but different.

I have been on 5 carnival cruises, one rccl, and one NCl which was the pride of america, hawaiian cruise. I like all the lines but to date I think the NCL cruise was the best. Thats the only NCL I have been on so I can't speak for the other ships but I liked that one more han any of the other cruises I've been on. Freestyle dining is a big plus for me.

We have been on 6 cruises. We were so excited to do the 10 day NCL cruise in Hawaii. We were so upset when we went and it was not at all what we were used to. We also thought the freestyle dining would be great. IT wasn't at all. over half the time it took over 2 hours for us to be served. My son fell asleep at the dinner table twice waiting for his food. We even did the special dining where you pay extra. Our reservations were at 8pm. We got all dressed up and went, at 11pm all of us but my husband left the table. We still did not have our food. He stayed ate his meal and left at midnight. It was awful. They didnt charge us and apologized but every restaurant we tried with the exception of the buffet was like this. Not only that, most the meals are the same with a variation of sauce. We will never go on NCL again. IT was the only cruise I have ever complained about. My kids didnt want to cruise again because of it, but then we had them do carnival and they loved it.

I think carnival got it right having set dining times and tables. The food is wonderful and the service is beyond good.

my first cruise was on NCL out of Boston, never went back to them. i prefer a balcony, and most of the ships available when i looked have no balconies at all.

How long ago was your cruise with NCL, most of their ship are new and have lots of balcony rooms now.

I my self still prefer CCL over NCL, the food is better on CCL and now you can do the anytime dining on some ships if you like that (soon to be all) I did not like the fees you had to pay at the specialty resturants or the wait for the main dining rooms and we usually got there early. If you are traveling with children and can afford an AF cabin on NCL they had a curtain you could pull to get a little seperation but I won't'go on another NCL unless we could afford the AB suite, they were great with the butler:D. As far as the customer service before the cruise I had several problems with NCL giving wrong info and not being very helpful, I have never had any with problems with CCL but reading these threads I see others have.

my first cruise was on NCL out of Boston, never went back to them. i prefer a balcony, and most of the ships available when i looked have no balconies at all.

My first cruise also was NCL out of Boston but there's where we differ, that hooked us on cruising and I have yet to dislike any cruiseline. We have taken 6 NCL cruises and about to take our 5th Carnival and I have loved them all! My dh actually prefers freestyle dining and was thrilled when we found out it is available on the Miracle. They are more alike then different to us.

Archived