US Direct not in full operation

travelbuds

Hi,

Just for a heads up, I found out that the US Direct program is not in full operation for 2009.

My wife and I were set to use US Direct in June from the Vancouver port to Vancouver airport (have been planning this for over a year). Now on the YVR Airport Authority website, I found that our airline (US Airways) is no longer participating. Thought it may have just been an error. But when emailed the port authority about it, I was also informed in two separate emails that:

First: "The expedited passenger facility will not be open in June, however we will look into the possibility of your bags being transferred from the cruise ship to your final destination and get back to you as soon as possible."

Second: "As of today, the port to airport portion of US Direct is not open in July to any cruise or airlines. The cruise lines are currently in negotiation to determine whether it is possible to open this facility earlier than July 3rd. That being said, the airport to port portion of US Direct will be opening this Monday, May 25th.

With regards to your luggage, it will be picked up at your stateroom the evening prior to disembarkation and will be transported to YVR for your pickup in the US Departures terminal before checking in for your flights. (All of this is explained in further detail to all buses arriving at YVR).

For the most accurate information we would suggest confirming with your cruise line while on board prior to disembarkation regarding the luggage transfer."

So I guess we may just have to wait until we board the ship before we find out anything more.

Bruce

I called Princess and he told me we couldn't use u s direct because we leave okc and change planes in denver before we go on to vancouver. He said it had to be a direct flight. We are flying on United. Has anyone used us direct yet this year with that type of flight?

According to the Cruisetour Answer book, if you change planes you can use EZCheck. (You just can't change carriers.) I agree with Coral, this sounds like a great program and I looked forward to using it. I wondered how the cruise ship would handle it, since as you stated....there is a lot of overweight bags and many airlines are now charging for each bag. That alone sounds like a nightmare at the air terminal. If anyone has used EZCheck in Vancouver within the last month...Please let us know!

Thanks!

Mary

Okay, if I understand all this correctly, US airways no longer participates in US Direct, but even if it did, it is not fully operational at this time (we would need this on July 22), but it might be operational by July 22nd?

Does any know if US airways would possibly be participating again if US direct becomes fully operational by then? Or is US airways not going to participate at all. ? I tried calling US airways and the person I spoke with was clueless of what I was talking about. We have a direct flight from YVR to OIA on the day we leave.

I now see posts about ezcheck, I tried "googling" that and couldn't find a site referring to this information.

What is ezcheck?

We have a 12:50 flight out of Vancouver, and I don't want my vacation to end on a frazzled note so I am trying to solve a problem before it happens. So, right now, I have emailed and received info from a limo service to take us to the airport. It is 40 each plus tip, which really isn't that much more than US direct.

My question: What is ezcheck,? would getting a limo get us to the airport quicker? (they want prepayment so I would like to make sure this is the right thing to do)If US airways does decide to participate and Us Direct becomes operational is US direct better than getting a limo?

Thanks

Isn't ezy check just for port to airport? .... I am wanting info on airport to port.

Hi,

No, I thought you can use it for either direction. US Direct (Vancouver Airport Authority's term) is good either direction. It's just that only the airport to ship portion is working now (opened May 25th). I was told that the pier to airport portion isn't available yet.

http://www.yvr.ca/guide/around/embarkation/

Archived