Docking at Venice

jerblu

In August we disembarked at the Maritime Stazione on a busy day with 3 ships berthed: 1 Silversea, 1 Seabourn, and 1 SeaDream. Even with 3 ships the disembarkation process took under 5 minutes from the time we walked down the gangway on the ship until we walked out the front doors of the terminal with our luggage. It was very easy. There was no customs or immigration check. There was a line for water taxis, but it appeared that empty taxis were arriving as fast as passengers could be boarded. I'd guess the wait was less than 10-15 minutes. The water taxi operators seem to know when and where there is demand.

Actually, we are in Venice today. Luckily for us, in-transit. There are about 5 large ships in Maritima and it looks like chaos, albeit organized. We just got in the water taxi line and it took about 15 minutes. You get the number of a taxi when you register and pay in the terminal. Bon Voyage!

Does Silversea always dock at the Maritime Stazione?/QUOTE]Not always. Last year, we boarded Cloud at the San Basilio terminal, just around the corner but not directly connected to the Marittima basin. Technically, both are part of the Venice cruise terminal and IIRC the San Basilio terminal is confusingly labeled "Stazione Marittima". Both have taxis and water taxis (less expensive if shared), and (much less conveniently, and if it's running at that time of year) the airport vaporetto.

Thanks. One of my primary concerns is where to stay while in Venice a few days. My sense of what I want to visit and do is that Dorsoduro would be best, even though that will probably mean that I will have to take a water taxi to get to the hotel, encumbered as we will be with cruise luggage. If there is any possibility that we will dock at Basilio, I will have to rethink some of the planning.

Again, thanks

Jerry

Venice is not a big place if you are prepared to read a map, walk, wheel luggage short distances and use the vaporettos. We had a good experience at a hotel within walking distance of San Basilio for two nights pre-cruise last year. Not the Cipriani, and the only meal served is breakfast, but quiet and convenient location.

Just looked up the name -- Hotel San Sebastiano Garden. HTH

Archived