All set for the Schooles (but not really Schoolies) Cruise ... Been a long wait

Wilkono

After a lot of hard saving and struggles, I've finally finished payment for our cruise for the 29th of November. I put down the deposit all the way back in November '08 and now that its all been settled.. well.. I can't actually say I'm anymore excited, because I haven't stopped being this excited about the cruise since last year! It was a little underwhelming once I had actually paid it all off - all I got at the time was a tiny receipt. But hopefully those mysterious blue folders will be ready for collection in the near future. I left it pretty late, the payment was due in a matter of weeks. Close one. Booking early had its benefits, as we were able to score a fantastic stateroom at a price that I haven't seen advertised since.

I remember way back in high school wanting to be able to afford the schoolies cruise, but I opted for keeping my money instead. I do regret not ever experiencing it, my girlfriend said she had a blast (and she did so without drugs or enough alcohol to drown a horse). It's a shame that a few 'toolies' ruined the entire experience for every graduating student since. It'll be very interesting, as our cruise is for 21's and over unless with a parent. I'm hoping the restriction hasn't discouraged too many 'young' travelers (21 to 30) as it would be great to meet up with similarly aged university students. On the plus side, it'll be fantastic to know that I won't be bothered by vomiting high school graduates. I'm only 21 myself, but I know the difference between having a great time and ending up in the med centre (or brig).

After a lot of hard saving and struggles, I've finally finished payment for our cruise for the 29th of November. I put down the deposit all the way back in November '08 and now that its all been settled.. well.. I can't actually say I'm anymore excited, because I haven't stopped being this excited about the cruise since last year! It was a little underwhelming once I had actually paid it all off - all I got at the time was a tiny receipt. But hopefully those mysterious blue folders will be ready for collection in the near future. I left it pretty late, the payment was due in a matter of weeks. Close one. Booking early had its benefits, as we were able to score a fantastic stateroom at a price that I haven't seen advertised since.

I remember way back in high school wanting to be able to afford the schoolies cruise, but I opted for keeping my money instead. I do regret not ever experiencing it, my girlfriend said she had a blast (and she did so without drugs or enough alcohol to drown a horse). It's a shame that a few 'toolies' ruined the entire experience for every graduating student since. It'll be very interesting, as our cruise is for 21's and over unless with a parent. I'm hoping the restriction hasn't discouraged too many 'young' travelers (21 to 30) as it would be great to meet up with similarly aged university students. On the plus side, it'll be fantastic to know that I won't be bothered by vomiting high school graduates. I'm only 21 myself, but I know the difference between having a great time and ending up in the med centre (or brig).

Congratulations on booking your cruise, I'm sure you will have a fantastic time!

I am in my 20's too, and enjoy meeting others our age and having a fantastic time onboard. But there are the small handful that ruin it for others.

Personally, I think it is a good policy that P&O have that passengers must be over 21 or with an adult to cruise over the schoolies period, as you can only imagine what half a ship of 18 year olds would do to the atmosphere. And would definately have an affect on the other passengers' enjoyment.

Back to your cruise...what ports are you visiting? :)

Hey Luckie.

We will be visiting Noumea, Ouvea, Vila and Wala (in that order). I'm particularly looking forward to Ouvea and Wala, as I know the least about those ports. I've never been to any of them though, so it'll be interesting regardless.

I'm also for the current P&O policy, but it did mean that a friend that planned to come with us was unable to go since shes 'only' 20. A little frustrating, considering that shes already in her second year at uni and well out of high school, but its still better than having rampaging teens on board.

Hey Luckie.

We will be visiting Noumea, Ouvea, Vila and Wala (in that order). I'm particularly looking forward to Ouvea and Wala, as I know the least about those ports. I've never been to any of them though, so it'll be interesting regardless.

I'm also for the current P&O policy, but it did mean that a friend that planned to come with us was unable to go since shes 'only' 20. A little frustrating, considering that shes already in her second year at uni and well out of high school, but its still better than having rampaging teens on board.

Hi Wilkono, you have a great list of ports. Ouvea has the most amazing beach, sand so white that you need sunglasses. Wala is very cultural and the local run tours around their island showing how they live etc.

Is this your first cruise?

We too a few years ago did a girls cruise, and one of our friends wasn't able to come as she was under 21 by a few months. It was a shame, but like you said, better than rampaging teens onboard!

Well done for paying it all off, Wilkono! You'll have a fantastic time, not too much longer to wait!

I had looked at doing this cruise, and went as far to book it. However, I didnt get to complete the booking - it was going to be for me and a close friend of mine, and although I'm 21, she is only 20 (turns 21 in a couple months after the cruise) so we had to cancel. Such a shame, as we're definitely not schoolies (both at uni) but due to P&O policy we cant do it. Its so hard to find a cruise that matches both our uni holidays, and around work and everything. And I really want to go to Wala or Ouvea - although have another cruise (with a different friend) booked for Feb that goes to Ouvea

RCCL's policy is that no alcohol will be served to anyone under 21 years of age. All US operated ships are the same.

Just helps keep things in order so as the 'few' can't spoil it for the others.

Jillybean:)

Hi Jliiybean, just to let you know that RCI have the following policy for cruises departing from Australia where passengers are over 18 but under 21:

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Royal Caribbean ships is 21. However on the international cruises departing from any port other than North America, where the legal drinking age is typically lower than 21, a parent or legal guardian who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) who is between the ages of 18-20, may sign a waiver allowing the 18-20 year old to consumer alcoholic beverages

Hi Wilkono,

I'm pretty certain you will enjoy this cruise more than a schoolie. The rewards of planning and saving are very worthwhile. I hope cruising will become a regular event for you. It scores 10/10 in my holiday agenda.

Have an excellent time :).

Cheers,

Anna

I'm also booked on this cruise and I have to admit I was worried it would be full of schoolies. I picked this cruise to celebrate my birthday with a close friend, and we're both waaaay past schoolies age ;). I wasn't aware of the over 21 policy, so I too am relieved I won't have to share with vomiting teenagers.

We've only got a few weeks to wait now Wilkono!

Archived