Jewelry

sbm22

Cardows, Little Switzerland, H. Stern and A. H. Riise are very reputable. I have been to STT over 20 times and I have never heard of the Elegant Jewelry company. We may have wandered in without paying attention to the name of the shop, but it certainly did not stand out enough to be remembered. I am assuming that you are referring to set stones. We were there last month and saw some lovely emerald pieces, including the ring that my DH picked out for me. I hope you have the same luck!

It is a small, family owned shop on a side street, Raadats Gade. Friends of ours who have lived in St Thomas for years took us there on our first trip. They trust the owner's pricing and merchandise. It isn't one of the large stores on Main Street, on your next visit, give it a try.

Our St Thomas friend told us that most shops have the price shown on the tag, their "best" price and then the "local's" price. So bartering is common in many of the shops. At Elegant Jewelry I felt that they offered us great prices without alot of bartering.

I do believe that they have loose stones. I tried on a setting and they brought out a diamond for it. You might want to go to their website, I'm sorry it doesn't have prices on it. And, you could e-mail them to ask if they have what you are shopping for. Let them know when you will be there and I'm sure they will be happy to assist.

It is not a fancy Main Street shop but so many of those are "chains" just as we have in the States. Less overhead keeps costs and prices down.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any other questions on the shop. Not sure if I'm boardering on too much sales info. E-mail address is on my profile.

It looks like you only have a few days left before you cruise, I envy you! I hope you like their shop, it's nice to have honest folks who are willing to take the time to find what you want. They also have another shop which they will meet you at if there is something else you might be looking for. My daughter bought a Movado watch for her dad and we mentioned the great price we received to our friends. They wanted a specific woman's Movado so they took them over to the other shop for it.

Tell them that friends of Mary Jo's told you to stop by. Mary Jo's daughter and son-in-law own Randy's Bistro on St Thomas. A neat restaurant with a great art shop across the street but unfortunately not near the docks. Our friend Mary Jo lived on a 51 foot sailboat in St Thomas until they recently moved to Ohio to be near family. Can you imagine what that must be like for them this winter.

I hope that you find what you are looking for. Have a great cruise!

MSUSigmak,

I will definately mention friends of Mary Jo sent me. Thanks for all the information, you have been very helpful! I visited St. Thomas about 15 years ago, but I'm sure alot has changed and I'm sure I won't recognize anything. I can't imagine moving from a tropical island back to the cold. We are looking to move to an island within the next 5 years or so - we are tired of the cold and snow in the north east!

I just received an e-mail from Deepak at Elegant Jewelry. He suggested you give him a call and they would be happy to assist you. He does have loose stones/emeralds. Their toll free number is 800-550-2299. Have fun shopping!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived