Getting off the boat in Cozumel

jsher

I was wondering how long it usually takes to get off the boat in Cozumel. We dock at 10:00, which is 9:00 Cozumel time. I have to be somewhere by 10:00am. Is it reasonable to say that I will be off the boat within an hour of docking? What is the longest amount of time it has taken you to get off?

Since you dock, as soon as the ship is cleared, you can walk off. The issue is the 9:00 am docking times are estimates only. Sometimes you dock early and sometimes you dock later based upon traffic in the port area. But once there, you can walk off and catch a cab and most likely get anywhere on the island in less than 30 mins.

We were on the Jewel 12/12 and it was probably 1/2 hour or 45 minutes before they started allowing people off the ship. One thing that surprised me though, was that the captain changed the ship's time to local time. In planning our day I had counted on having that extra hour of time difference and I wasn't expecting the time to change. Worked out ok for us but it might cause you problems with your tight schedule. Just FYI.

a BOAT is one of those many small craft hanging on each side of your vessel in the unlikely event of an emergency, or for some cruiselines, also serves as

a tender vessel. You will be cruising on a SHIP, not a boat. I hear that, it's like fingernails on a chalkboard. But that's just me...

Mitch

I suppose the reason was that it was 7 something a.m. but when we docked in Costa Maya AND Cozumel, the captain didn't make the announcement that passengers could get off the ship. Maybe he didn't want to disturb the sleeping but it was kind of confusing that you had to walk down to deck one and keep checking to see if it was okay to get off or not. We stayed on ship's time (which was local time anyway).

txfirstcruiser:

i noticed ealier that you posted that you went with eagle ray divers. i assume that this was on their longer, 3 reef trip. what times did you depart and return? i'm interested in this excursion... but don't necessarily want to return too late and miss checking out downtown after the snorkeling adventure is over. if this is the case, i suppose i'd go on their 2 reef trip.

also, is there a safe and dry place to store your camera while on their (small) boat? my insurance won't cover the value of my camera... so i don't want it to get wet back on the boat while i'm in the water snorkeling. THANKS!

- patrick

as I have used EagleRay Divers on three occasions. Yes, they have a two reef dive and they are sensitive to the ship schedules and if folks want to shop after. They will store any valuables you need protected. EagleRay is a

top notch outfit run by a wonderful husband and wife team who are skilled,

experienced and HONEST. You'll get a great value for your money and will never use a ship tour for snorkeling/diving (at least in Cozumel) again.

Mitch

Let me agree with mtchg, I also have dove with Eagle Ray Divers on several occasions and they have always been great and worked around the cruise schedule even when we ran late. I'm diving with them later this month when I'm aboard the Voyager.

I was wondering how long it usually takes to get off the boat in Cozumel. We dock at 10:00, which is 9:00 Cozumel time. I have to be somewhere by 10:00am. Is it reasonable to say that I will be off the boat within an hour of docking? What is the longest amount of time it has taken you to get off?

Many ships change their clocks so they are on local time. So you might be docking at 10:00 Cozumel time. As far as getting off, that depends on when the local authorities clear the ship.

a BOAT is one of those many small craft hanging on each side of your vessel in the unlikely event of an emergency, or for some cruiselines, also serves as

a tender vessel. You will be cruising on a SHIP, not a boat. I hear that, it's like fingernails on a chalkboard. But that's just me...

Mitch

LOL

My saying (to paraphrase yours) - "a boat's what cha get into when the ship's going' down"

j -

Also - you didn't say which ship (or boat ;-)) you're on, but perhaps a recent cruiser can tell you if they stay on ship time or change to local time. This decision rests totally with the captain (not corporate, and most of the time customer service will not know this info). So if the captain changes by the time you get on, this info may change too.

Mitch

I didn't ask for my own personal thesaurus. You clearly have to much time on your hand if you waste your time posting comments that have nothing to do with the question.

Archived