Island Princess/Acapulco

Larrydano

Sharon and I will be flying into Acapulco at Saturday 3:00 PM on 2/27/10 and will be sailing on the Island Princess Acapulco to Fort Lauderdale on a 10 day canal transit on 2/28/10. Due to our schedules we are only able to fly in to Acapulco for a one day precruise stay. I do have some questions about our visit to Acapulco.

Are there any suggestions for a one night stay in Acapulco?-I have heard that Las Brisas is quite nice. What sould we expect to pay for a room?

Any suggestions for restaurants would be great!!!

What is the best way,how long does it take and what is the cost for transit from the ACA airport into Acapulco?

We would like to do something on 2/28/10 prior to boarding the Island Princess (probably mid afternoon). Will we have time to do the cliff divers and/or something else that a cruise critic boards reader can suggest?

Where does the Island Princess dock and what is the best way to get around Acapulco?

Larry

We did the same cruise in Nov. 2007.We stayed at the Hyatt, I believe. There was a table set up in the lobby by Princess. They had day tour/transportation to the pier. I dont' remember the exact cost but it was comparable to what we would have spent for cab fare & tip. We were told to put our luggage outside our door of hotel that morning with our Princess luggage tags to be picked up and delivered to the ship. We then got aboard a coach bus for a tour of the city which included a stop at the cliff divers. We were at the cruise terminal about 2:30 pm and had no line or wait to board the ship. Have a great cruise, the canal trip has been our favorite and we loved the Island Princess.

Sharon and I will be flying into Acapulco at Saturday 3:00 PM on 2/27/10 and will be sailing on the Island Princess Acapulco to Fort Lauderdale on a 10 day canal transit on 2/28/10. Due to our schedules we are only able to fly in to Acapulco for a one day precruise stay. I do have some questions about our visit to Acapulco.

Are there any suggestions for a one night stay in Acapulco?-I have heard that Las Brisas is quite nice. What sould we expect to pay for a room?

What is the best way,how long does it take and what is the cost for transit from the ACA airport into Acapulco?

We would like to do something on 2/28/10 prior to boarding the Island Princess (probably mid afternoon). Will we have time to do the cliff divers and/or something else that a cruise critic boards reader can suggest?

Where does the Island Princess dock and what is the best way to get around Acapulco?

Larry

Larry - Las Brisas was super. Room rates vary - check their web site. We originally booked a twin room with a nice view ($175.00) but upgraded to a private pool casita on the top of the hill ($350.00). Superb view of the bay and very private. Highly recommend for one night prior. Ask conceriege desk for a private guide to see old city and have dinner watching the cliff divers. Next morning go down to the pool area down at the bottom of the hill - drop dead beautiful - then go to the ship after 2 PM. A cab ticket can be purchased at the airport to get you to the hotel and then on to the ship, Cost was about $40.00. Trip to the hotel was about 25 minutes. From Las Brisas to boat 15 minutes. Send me an e-mail at grhampton703@aol.com for pics.

Personally I think your choice of hotel depends on what time you get to ACA. For instance, we don't arrive until 23:30 to there's no way I'm going to pay for an expensive hotel just to get a few hours of sleep. I"m on the same cruise over Christmas and we booked the Crown Plaza at $80 per night.

According to the hotel's website it's about $30 US to taxi to the hotel. I'm going to neigtiate in Pesos when we arrive. IMHO you will always pay less if you use pesos.

Tripadivsor.com has tons of information on Acapulco hotels.

Susan

Larry

Hi Larry. Take it from another Larry about El Ovido. This is a really nice restaurant on the ocean with terrific food and views. We did this crusie last Feb. BTW. I don't know about Las Brisas though the reviews are very good as are the ones for the Acapulco Princess and the Pierre Marques which is next to it. We stayed at the Grand Acapulco hotel and convention Center which actually was the Hyatt when we booked it but changed hands afterwards. We stayed there way back in 1986 too. However in 2009 it was a disappointment. Tiles were cracked and bubbled in the lobby and the AC barely worked in our room even after we had it serviced. For the price it was just OK. You can get a cab from the airport to your hotel. The cost was nominal and it took about 30 min. to get to our hotel. The dock ws around 20 min. from our hotel at the San Diego pier. We were told embarkation would begin at 1300. We got there around 1130 and by 1145 they were boarding. We were in our cain in less 15 min. Have fun amigo. Here is a link to El Ovido Larry :)

http://www.elolvido.com.mx/

I would not recommend staying at The Grand. It was is a sad state of disrepair when we were there in February. Our room was in bad need of attention and the AC did not work.

Good luck on transportation from the airport. We had pre-arranged transportation and were met upon arrival at the airport. When we arrived at the hotel our driver negotiated a tip while others sat our bags curbside and also wanted a tip. We then had to tip others to get the bags up steep steps and to the front desk and you guessed it another tip when they arrived at the room.

Mike:)

Archived