1 day Accademia & Uffizi vs Pisa drive

gramwii

Only 1 day (as most cruisers), landing Livorno. Buying tickets for Uffizi & Accademia. Friend would enjoy seeing Pisa but not walking its steps.

Researched & seems 1 hr Florence to Pisa by bus or train.

#1 Is it worth the time? Beautiful drive? etc...

#2 If worth it, how do you recommend we do it (and not miss ship) :eek:

An after thought, exactly where is Duomo in relationship to museums or Pisa?

How about Santa Maria Novella?

Only 1 day (as most cruisers), landing Livorno. Buying tickets for Uffizi & Accademia. Friend would enjoy seeing Pisa but not walking its steps.

Researched & seems 1 hr Florence to Pisa by bus or train.

#1 Is it worth the time? Beautiful drive? etc...

#2 If worth it, how do you recommend we do it (and not miss ship) :eek:

An after thought, exactly where is Duomo in relationship to museums or Pisa?

How about Santa Maria Novella?

My 2 cents is that if you plan to go to both Uffizi and Accademia you are looking at 30'-45' minimum in Accademia and 1-2 hours in Uffizi that trying to squeeze in Pisa on public transportation DIY will be a challenge. It is doable but you'll have to likely forgo much if anytime at the many other attractions to get your quality museum time in.

I found Pisa and the Field of Dreams very pretty and one can spend easily an hour there even if one chooses not to climb. If you only want to do a quick walk and the standard hold up the tower picture you can get in and out in 30'.

The place you metione Santa Maria Novella is about ~ 1/3 mile or so from the town center. Everything in that area is walkable but you will have a busy day and need to walk briskly to see all that you are shooting to do if you do both muesums.

Good luck

Yes, appears we might be pushing too hard trying to see it all. I'm just in awe of all these Western Med. ports have to offer! ...like a kid in a candy shop!! I really want to make it a positive experience for hubby (has bad knees) so he is up to returning for an extended stay!! p.s. He's a WWII history buff. Thx for your input!!

Yes, appears we might be pushing too hard trying to see it all. I'm just in awe of all these Western Med. ports have to offer! ...like a kid in a candy shop!! I really want to make it a positive experience for hubby (has bad knees) so he is up to returning for an extended stay!! p.s. He's a WWII history buff. Thx for your input!!

I'm a big believer if you are mobility challenged then a Private tour / driver is the way to go. If you can get a group of 5-7 the cost runs to 100-150 for the italy ports. We did this with my 80+ father and 70+ mother. They literally dropped us at the field of dreams ( less then 50' walk ), infront of Academia, right in St Croce, 25' from Dumo. These are simply things not possible on the ship sponsored bus tours in Europe.

Good luck planning, I think uffizi for a couple hours will be a challenge for someone that can't walk to much. Its a huge museum that would require some fast walking to see. The Academia and Pisa and the other attractions of Florence should be very doable with Private.

Best of luck

I agree with hiring a car and driver to see both Pisa and Florence - too much to do on your own in one day.

Download free soundguides for the Uffizi and Accademia from Rick Steve's soundguides onto an iPod. Photocopy the map on the soundguide website - this provides a good overview.

Archived