Carnival + infants

santacap

I hope this helps...

I just booked my cruise with my twins who will be 16 months at time of travel. We pre-paid tips and only paid $100.00 for a 5 night cruise. That means we were NOT charged tips for the twins. Their room rate was $339 (or something) per child... our room rate was $1079 per adult (penthouse).

Are we still going to tip for the twins? YES ;)

You only prepaid tips for the two adults in the cabin, or at least thats what someone charged you for... this doesnt mean that someone under the age of 2 doesnt pay tips as you seem to think... it just means you didnt pay tips for them yet??!!

Now can I ask a question? On our last flight home a family was seated next to us and they had a child maybe 1 to 18 mos. They had a car seat for the baby and she sail the airline rules had changed and they had to buy a seat for the baby. When I just saw your post I was wondering which statement was true? Have you checked with the airlines about the baby being "free"?

When I was a flight attendant, children 2 and under who sat on the adult's lap (lap children, they are called) were free. If you wanted to use a car seat, you had to buy a full fare ticket for the seat.

You only prepaid tips for the two adults in the cabin, or at least thats what someone charged you for... this doesnt mean that someone under the age of 2 doesnt pay tips as you seem to think... it just means you didnt pay tips for them yet??!!

When you book on Carnival, either everybody in the cabin pre-pays the tips or nobody pre-pays the tips. That's the way their system is set up.

I learned this because when I sailed with some friends, I wanted my tips pre-paid but my friends didn't, so I called my PVP to add just mine, to which he replied that it couldn't be done. Their computer screen lets them choose tips (yes/no) for the cabin, but not for each individual person in the cabin...

When you book on Carnival, either everybody in the cabin pre-pays the tips or nobody pre-pays the tips. That's the way their system is set up.

I learned this because when I sailed with some friends, I wanted my tips pre-paid but my friends didn't, so I called my PVP to add just mine, to which he replied that it couldn't be done. Their computer screen lets them choose tips (yes/no) for the cabin, but not for each individual person in the cabin...

Sounds like one more thing that Carnival hasnt gotten around to changing the programming on? Because infants are charged tips once onboard ... I will ask my PVP about it, she will know. I do know that about 2 years or more ago, they didnt used to charge infants and now they do.. thats why I suspect old computer programming in play.

FOr those that actually took the time to answer the question posed, thanks. Now that you mention the manifesto etc it makes sense.:)

For those who took the time to get up on that soap box, I thank you too. I am a much better parent for having read your posts. I thought I'd come here to find out the most economical way to take a family vacation and I got these wonderful tips, for that I thank you.

Please stay tuned for my next thread "Help, can my baby wear a diaper shirt to the dining room on formal night, we didnt pack his tux because the booze we snuck on board took up so much room, and he got his other suit dirty because we used it to save a chair, what do we do?"

I asked for the policy in writing from my PVP and so far its ambigious, no wonder people are now confused... and some get charged once onboard and some dont.

The policy now says

For the guest's convenience, we automatically add the recommended gratuities to the guest's on board Sail & Sign Account on embarkation day.

The guest will have the discretion to adjust these gratuities based upon the level of service received during the cruise. This includes the option to adjust gratuities (up or down) for any individual on the Dining or Housekeeping staff. In order to do so, the guest will need to contact the Guest Services Desk in person.

Guests less than two years of age are not required to extend gratuities. For Cruises-to-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day, must be prepaid upon making a reservation.

"Not Required" leaves it open so some are paying it onboard and some arent.

It used to say in the FAQs that children dont pay gratuities .... now it says "not required" to pay them... leaving it open.

The above is from my PVP and I find ambigious.

Archived